Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
angi_marie26

angi_marie26 has disabled reputation
3.5 yo, on a budget, current seat expiring soon

My son will be 4 in July. He is 37 lbs, a smidge over 40" tall, torso (measured bottom of bum to top of shoulder, while sitting) was just over 12". He is the biggest any of my kids have been, at this age. His current seat (I can't remember what it is, but I don't love it) is expiring at the end of this year, so I have some time to research and find a good deal. Oh, I drive a Chrysler Town and Country, and he is in the cabin chair behind the passenger seat.

He is forward facing and I'm looking for a good seat, that should last us a while (I'm okay with buying a high back booster for him, in 3 years, if I really have to). My kids generally run small...his older sister is 6.5 and is around 40 lbs, my oldest is 12 and barely out of a booster (4'10", 75 lbs). We have a tight budget and would really like to try for under $100. What would you recommend??

Thanks so much!!

Angi
ds-12, ds-9, dd-6, ds-3.5

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
armywife12
CPS Fanatic

armywife12 is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorarmywife12 is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author
You are in luck. He has a tiny torso for his age, which is great in the car seat world. The evenflo maestro is about $80, harnesses to 50 lbs and converts to a decent fitting high back booster but the booster portion is outgrown shortly after the harness height is. Top slots are 18 inches so he would have tons of growing room left. We really liked our maestro
Old 04-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Keeanh
CPS Fanatic

Keeanh IS a CPS Know-It-All!Keeanh IS a CPS Know-It-All!Keeanh IS a CPS Know-It-All!Keeanh IS a CPS Know-It-All!Keeanh IS a CPS Know-It-All!Keeanh IS a CPS Know-It-All!Keeanh IS a CPS Know-It-All!
Re: 3.5 yo, on a budget, current seat expiring soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife12 View Post
You are in luck. He has a tiny torso for his age, which is great in the car seat world. The evenflo maestro is about $80, harnesses to 50 lbs and converts to a decent fitting high back booster but the booster portion is outgrown shortly after the harness height is. Top slots are 18 inches so he would have tons of growing room left. We really liked our maestro

With a short torso, the Maestro would likely last until he's ready for a backless booster.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
angi_marie26

I really appreciate you responding to my question!!

I was looking at the Maestro. One of the complaints I read was about the straps being close together, riding on he neck. That is my biggest complaint with his current seat. I was discussing the Maestro with my friend, a tech, and I can't find it now...but know she said something not so great about it as a booster.

I was looking at the Maestro and actually called her specifically to ask about it
angi_marie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
wendytthomas
Moderator - CPST Instructor

wendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

It's a great booster. The fit is fantastic. It's just outgrown at the same time as a booster as it is as a harnessed seat.

Wendy
in a 2011 BMW 535i, and my 2012 Mazda5

wendytthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
angi_marie26

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=109121

This is where I found info on the Maestro.

I was really hoping there was another option out there...
Old 04-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
4BabyUnit
Carseat Crazy

4BabyUnit has disabled reputation

We're in the same boat as you, but need a new one b/c DD is outgrowing her convertible. Was advised on here about the Maestro being a good seat too but haven't had to buy it yet, because I've learned that the convertible we have is actually good until the tops of her EARS are level with the seat back as opposed to the top of her HEAD...buys us a little more time. Will keep an eye on this post to see what others have to say.
4BabyUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
carseatcoach
Carseat Crankypants

carseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

A 12" torso is really small for a 40" child. It would be helpful to know what seat he's currently in and where his shoulders are in relation to the top strap settings.

I also recommend the Maestro.

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart
carseatcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
bombedier
CPS Technician

bombedier is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorbombedier is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Another option would be the Graco Nautilus - harnesses to 65lbs, top harness slot height is 18.5 inches and then booster to 100lbs. It's around $150.

bombedier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
J-max
CPS Technician

J-max is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

Said tech friend here

He is currently in a comfort sport (I believe, need to get out my paperwork and check for sure). I think he is int he top harness slot with an inch or 1.5 to go, but I could be wrong on that.

I said the Maestro was probably a good option, just that the booster was outgrown about the same time as the harness, so he would most likely need a "regular" booster after that.
W(7/28) is rocking an Aton, S(3) rides in a Nextfit or RXT, O(6) has a Frontier 90, the big girls (9, 11) have Monterey Boosters and incognitos, and the oldest is 15, wears a seat belt and is driving!
J-max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
Keeanh
CPS Fanatic

Keeanh IS a CPS Know-It-All!Keeanh IS a CPS Know-It-All!Keeanh IS a CPS Know-It-All!Keeanh IS a CPS Know-It-All!Keeanh IS a CPS Know-It-All!Keeanh IS a CPS Know-It-All!Keeanh IS a CPS Know-It-All!

If his torso is really that short, there are convertibles that might work. The Evenflo Titan with 14" slots goes to 50lbs ($80). The Alpha Omega with 16" slots is also 50lbs ($100). Neither of these can / should be used as a booster though (the Alpha Omega has a horrible booster fit, even though it can technically be used as one).

The Nautilus is probably best bang for your buck at $135 at Walmart.

ETA: Just read the PP (we cross-posted). His torso IS short! I think the Titan harness has almost an inch on the Comfort Sport.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
carseatcoach
Carseat Crankypants

carseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-max View Post
He is currently in a comfort sport (I believe, need to get out my paperwork and check for sure). I think he is int he top harness slot with an inch or 1.5 to go, but I could be wrong on that.
Wow, that really would be a 12" torso! So he could fit in pretty much any carseat on the market.

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart
carseatcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
cookie123
CPS Technician

cookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BabyUnit View Post
We're in the same boat as you, but need a new one b/c DD is outgrowing her convertible. Was advised on here about the Maestro being a good seat too but haven't had to buy it yet, because I've learned that the convertible we have is actually good until the tops of her EARS are level with the seat back as opposed to the top of her HEAD...buys us a little more time. Will keep an eye on this post to see what others have to say.
A forward facing seat is outgrown if the shoulders go above the top harness slots (harness must be at or above the shoulders), OR if the tips of the ears go above the shell, OR the weight limit is reached.

Just wanted to be clear on that.
Matt- 6 - Pkwy/Monterey
Griffin - 1 - PVC/Size4Me/ProRide
cookie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
angi_marie26

I wasn't kidding, lol, when I said I grow them LITTLE! Now I'm considering getting him dressed and loaded in, just to take a picture! I measured him TWICE! Just to be sure, because it seemed oddly small to me! Then I measured DD and she isn't that much more than him...but her LEGS are a lot longer, back to back, his bum is completely below hers...his stops where hers starts If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll do it!

Angi
Old 04-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
J-max
CPS Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by angi_marie26 View Post
I wasn't kidding, lol, when I said I grow them LITTLE! Now I'm considering getting him dressed and loaded in, just to take a picture! I measured him TWICE! Just to be sure, because it seemed oddly small to me! Then I measured DD and she isn't that much more than him...but her LEGS are a lot longer, back to back, his bum is completely below hers...his stops where hers starts If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll do it!

Angi
If you can't get a pic up, email it to me and I can put it up
W(7/28) is rocking an Aton, S(3) rides in a Nextfit or RXT, O(6) has a Frontier 90, the big girls (9, 11) have Monterey Boosters and incognitos, and the oldest is 15, wears a seat belt and is driving!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #16
angi_marie26

See the neck

Grumpy to be in his car seat, for now

Torso:

The way he is sitting, and taking this pic I now see that I probably could have his straps down a slot...but it was getting so close, and if he's wearing his fleece, it was just a better fit to move it up.

Angi
Old 04-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #17
J-max
CPS Technician

Ok, so its not a comfort sport, LOL Sorry

Angi, remember we looked at putting the straps down and it was right at his shoulders, it must be the way he is sitting.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #18
angi_marie26

No problem, Jess! It's an Evenflo, something I'm not attached to it, in any way...it just fills the bill for NOW.

Silly note, Aislynn is ecstatic about her new seat, which is coming TOMORROW! Plus, it is PINK!!

Angi
Old 04-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
Kat_Momof3
CPS Advocate

Kat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

that's the evenflo chase... what I'd do is measure the distance between the slots... then take the tape measure with you to the store... and see if the maestro's are the same or better... or, once you measure your seat, perhaps someone here could measure their maestro.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!