Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
sparkyd
Carseat Crazy

sparkyd is almost a CPS know-it-allsparkyd is almost a CPS know-it-allsparkyd is almost a CPS know-it-all
Crazy new Radian harness covers

Apologies if this has already been discussed - I couldn't find anything.

I was at a clinic yesterday and saw the craziest harness covers on a new Radian XT - see pic below. Sorry the picture is rotated wrong, it is fine on my computer but wouldn't upload properly. The Dad assured me they came with the seat - and I believe him, I think - but man are these ever a departure from a normal harness cover. I was quite stunned when I saw them. My initial impression is I don't like them - I couldn't tell him to use the pinch test to check for tightness because there is no way that will work with these suckers. I flipped through the manual to see if there were any new rules to go along with these new covers, but I couldn't find anything. Could have missed it though, because I was flipping fast. There are no pictures of these on seats on the SKJP website, nor any replacements for sale.

Anyone else seen these? Impressions? They are so substantial that they almost seem like the kind of thing that would be required (like HUGS are for FF on Britax seats), but I don't think that is the case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1104091412001.jpg (99.4 KB, 391 views)
Thank You from:

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Judi
CPST/Firefighter

Judi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org Expert
Re: Crazy new Radian harness covers

Looks like they may help with making sure the chest clip is at the right spot, but other than that, I would hate those.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
wavegal
CPS Technician

wavegal is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorwavegal is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

They look very bulky for shoulder pads, my worry would be that they would add slack and compress in an accident!

#3 due 9/30!
wavegal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Judi
CPST/Firefighter

Judi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavegal View Post
They look very bulky for shoulder pads, my worry would be that they would add slack and compress in an accident!
You should look at the Recaro Signo ones. Yikes!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
ketchupqueen
CPST and ketchup snob

ketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Then there's the Graco SmartSeat covers which honestly scare me...

Food allergies or restrictions? There's a support group for that.
ketchupqueen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Carrie_R
CPS Technician

Carrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCarrie_R is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Um. Wow?

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!
Carrie_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
Judi
CPST/Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
Then there's the Graco SmartSeat covers which honestly scare me...
Heck yeah. I hate those. Not sure if I want them on, period.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
Kac
CPS Technician

Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

That puts a lot of fabric between the harness and the child. Wow.
Kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
Mae
CPS Technician

Mae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Um. Wow. Those are THICK!

Makes me wonder if this is a "solution" to the narrowness of the harness (on the higher slots), so this is to provide more comfort?
Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
hrice
CPS Technician

hrice is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!hrice is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!hrice is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!hrice is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!hrice is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!hrice is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!
How would you ever get the straps tight enough on a noob? They are so long!

Just bizaar!
Peyton 5y & 38lb FF in Sureride/FR90/FR85
hrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
jess71903
CPS Technician

jess71903 IS a CPS Know-It-All!jess71903 IS a CPS Know-It-All!jess71903 IS a CPS Know-It-All!jess71903 IS a CPS Know-It-All!jess71903 IS a CPS Know-It-All!jess71903 IS a CPS Know-It-All!jess71903 IS a CPS Know-It-All!jess71903 IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Weird!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Last edited by joolsplus3; 04-12-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: rude comment removed.
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
MOM25BOYS
Senior Community Member

MOM25BOYS is almost a CPS know-it-allMOM25BOYS is almost a CPS know-it-allMOM25BOYS is almost a CPS know-it-allMOM25BOYS is almost a CPS know-it-allMOM25BOYS is almost a CPS know-it-all

Those pads look very interesting. I think I would have to take them off.

Last edited by joolsplus3; 04-12-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: removed previous quote and reference to it.
MOM25BOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
cookie123
CPS Technician

cookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-all

Off. I don't use harness covers at all. To me they're just in the way of a good harness fit. Those would NOT seem to be safe at all.
Matt- 6 - Pkwy/Monterey
Griffin - 1 - PVC/Size4Me/ProRide
cookie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
mommycat
CPS Technician

mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Subbing so I can hear any updates. I wondered about fit for a noob as well, though I can see how that would help keep the chest clip actually on the chest, in general. And prevent harness burn. They look very thick though - how "squishy" was the foam?
Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.
mommycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
all together ooky
Senior Community Member

all together ooky is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorall together ooky is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

They kind of remind me of European carseat harnesses (without chestclip). How squishy were they?

Gwenllian: Born Feb. 7, 2004
Eleanor: Born April 1, 2008
Beatrice: Born Sept. 30, 2012
all together ooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
Calleiah
CPS Technician

Calleiah is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorCalleiah is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorCalleiah is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Are they loose from the seat? Like individual components? Or do they go through the harness slots and 'attach' to the seat? Im reserving judgment until I can mess with them. They look very similar to the harness covers on the Euro Concords/Britaxs etc. How dense are they. If they are dense enough, they might go a long ways towards keeping a harness in proper position.
Interesting, they arent on the SKJP website though.
Do you know what the DOM on that seat was?
Liam Gryffin aka "Cubby"(9/9/10 34#, 38") RF in a XTSL/MT
Killian Connor (Kian) (2/17/13 12.6lbs, 22.5") in a Cco/Chaperone
Calleiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #17
LISmama810
Admin - CPS Technician

LISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire
WTF?
LISmama810 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #18
sparkyd
Carseat Crazy

sparkyd is almost a CPS know-it-allsparkyd is almost a CPS know-it-allsparkyd is almost a CPS know-it-all

To answer a few questions... I don't know what the DOM was, but I'm guessing very recent (like maybe January) because I had another Radian the same day with a Dec 2010 DOM and it had the regular covers.

They were quite firm, without being hard. I didn't play with them as much as I would have liked; this was literally our last car of the day and there was no time for messing around just to satisfy my curiosity. The child wasn't present, so I didn't get to see them in use on an actual human being instead of a very squishy doll. I *think* they are separate, in the sense that you could just un-velcro them and take them off. I think you would have to take them off for a noob.

It bothers me somewhat they they don't discuss their use in the manual (unless I missed it), because I can easily imagine a caregiver keeping them on for a newborn if it doesn't say in the manual that you can (and probably should) take them off. They are so big that they really look like a part of the seat and not just an accessory. Or maybe it would be so painfully obvious that the harness is too loose with them on that people would take them off?
sparkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #19
LISmama810
Admin - CPS Technician

LISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire
Someone needs to call and ask. Even if the answer is just that they've "never heard of this before," I'm really curious.

They didn't have these on the demo seats at Lifesavers. Seems like they would have.

Maybe they accidentally sent out a prototype, sort of like the person who received the box o' Monterey parts.
LISmama810 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thank You from:
Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #20
ketchupqueen
CPST and ketchup snob

ketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
Someone needs to call and ask. Even if the answer is just that they've "never heard of this before," I'm really curious.

They didn't have these on the demo seats at Lifesavers. Seems like they would have.

Maybe they accidentally sent out a prototype, sort of like the person who received the box o' Monterey parts.
I was thinking maybe prototype of a Euro version...

Food allergies or restrictions? There's a support group for that.

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!