Reputation and Thanks Information

Mae

This seems to be a pretty common question, so can we get this stickied up here for easy access? :)

Thanks
Thanks is public; You can see when a poster receives a "Thank". Thanks are always worth one point, never more. You are given 5 "Thanks" per day. This feature is in all forums except for some specific sub-forums.

Reputation is given when members think that other members have given good, useful advice. To give reputation, you must have at least 10 posts and 6 reputation points. It is more private, only the receiver can see it (and likely mods/admins, I don't know). Rep allows you to leave a message, too.

How do you give it?

At the bottom of everybody's post, there is an icon that looks like a scale (screen shot is below), click on that and a message window pops up. You enter in a message/sign your name, and voilà. You have given rep. :) You do not have to add a message/your name, however, it's also a good way to earn some reputation. You do not earn rep points by giving it, but members who see that you give reputation are more willing to give you reputation, too. Members who are not benefactors can not see who leaves the reputation unless the giver leaves their name, so keep that in mind.

d14da6b3.jpg

Keep in mind, it is best to earn your rep, not ask for it. ;)

Community members who are blatantly increasing their posts counts with trivial posts or soliciting reputation points may have their reputation points reset for doing so.

How do I get it?

You are more likely to get rep when your rep is enabled. If your box(s) are black, then you have them disabled. To turn your reputation on, click HERE and then check the box that says, "Show Your Reputation Level".

You get rep by giving good advice. :) So post, read, and learn!

Everybody is worth a different amount of rep point(s) that they give when they rep another member. It is all dependent on other factors. There is a formula that will determine how much your power is worth.

+1 Point for membership (Everybody starts with one point)
+1 Per year registered
+1 Per every 3,000 posts you have
+1 Per every 1,500 rep points you have in yourself

Members (and Mods/Admins, too) are capped at 10 points. You can't give more than 10 points per rep click, no matter what.

The more reputation points you have yourself also determines how many green boxes you have under your screen name. The more rep, the more green boxes:

1 Box = 5-99 Points
2= 100-199
3= 200-299
4= 300-399
5= 400-499
6= 500-699
7= 700-899
8= 900-1099
9= 1100-1299
10= 1300-1499
11= 1500 +

If you hover over the green boxes, you can see a title. This gives a general idea of how much rep you have. I have no idea if this is up to date (thinking now, I think there was a minor change within the last year), but it's the last I've seen, so we'll go with it.

5-9 Points: Earning a good CPS reputation
10-24: Cub writer
25-49: Journalist
50-74: Recognized Contributor
75-99: Writer
100-249: Editor's choice author
250-499: Almost a CPS know-it-all
500-749: Top author and CPS Guru wannabe
750-999: Know it all
1,000-2,499: Leader
2,500-5,000: Expert

There are two more categories (CPS Guru Extraordinaire & Reputation over the Fargin' Limit) but I don't know where they start/stop. :)

You can give reputation in most forums with a few exceptions like Swap and the Senior Community Member forum, but Thanks is not available in most of the private Community forums. In the Community Member forum, your reputation power is worth half and it rounds down. If you are worth 2 points, you will be worth 1. If you are worth 3 points, you will be worth 2. If you are worth 4, you will be worth 2, etc. Since it is rounded down, if you are only worth 1, you will be worth 0 in community forums. :(

You can give 2 reputation clicks per day, provided you haven't used any Thanks for the day. The clicks are limited, and they run on a rolling 24 hours, so before you can give rep again, you must wait 24 hours.

*This is subject to change at any time. ;)

Last edited:
ADS

Mae

I want to bump this... I wish there was some way to sticky it or make it easily accessible.

Agreed. However, since I'm just a regular ol' member, once 30 days pass from me posting this, I won't be able to edit/update any changes. Silly setting. ;)

singingpond

Thanks for posting this -- I was just wondering about some of this stuff.

I hadn't been around the boards much for a year or two, and the 'thank you' system was new to me. Seems that many/most people do the 'thank you' now... because it's quicker/easier than leaving rep? I think I may go back and 'unthank' someone, so I can go leave rep instead, for a post I really liked (I noticed that the system doesn't let you do both).

And, at one point per, I realize I may as well get used to my own current number of little green boxes -- they won't be getting company for a L O N G time :).

Katrin

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Great info!

Question about this, though:

Mae said:
Thanks are always worth one point, never more. You are given 5 "Thanks" per day.

You can give 2 reputation clicks per day, provided you haven't used any Thanks for the day.

I thought it changed so we have a certain combined number of clicks (like, five or something) but we can divide them however we want. Like, five Thanks or five Rep, or two of one and three of the other...or something.

Or did it change again?

Or did I completely make that up?

Mae

Great info!

Question about this, though:

I thought it changed so we have a certain combined number of clicks (like, five or something) but we can divide them however we want. Like, five Thanks or five Rep, or two of one and three of the other...or something.

Or did it change again?

Or did I completely make that up?

I think I recall something like that, but I've tried to give rep more than 2X per day and I can't. I usually don't do Thanks, but I still can't do more than 2 reppies. So I guess not?

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
You need to leave rep first before leaving thanks I believe, if you want to maximize your clicks. Thanks is an addon and once you make it worth rep, it's a little odd how they share total clicks.

Mae

You need to leave rep first before leaving thanks I believe, if you want to maximize your clicks. Thanks is an addon and once you make it worth rep, it's a little odd how they share total clicks.

I swear that used to work, but after some experimentation, I don't think it does? Somebody gave rep and a thank, but the thank didn't show in the User CP and the rep count didn't go up. maybe I'll experiment later.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Unfortunately, that's the only real choice to make it less quirky. Then the two systems act completely independent, as they did before.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Lol opinions are welcome. There's just not a lot I can do in this case, it's one way or the other. I don't mind switching if there seems to be a consensus that the old way was preferable. Again, the whole system may change if/when the forums get an upgrade to version 4, though that isn't likely until the end of the year at the earliest.

Baylor

today I tried to give someone rep and it told me I had to spread it around before I gave it to that person again.. Is there a limit you can click someone?

Mae

today I tried to give someone rep and it told me I had to spread it around before I gave it to that person again.. Is there a limit you can click someone?

You have to spread the love before you can click the same person again. I think you have to give to 3 or 4 different people in between the same person?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC