Recall: Cosco, Eddie Bauer, Safety 1st, Maxi-Cosi and Schwinn Products Harness Slippage

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-notices-2011p01-1156.htm

Cosco, Eddie Bauer, Safety 1st, Maxi-Cosi and Schwinn Products Harness Slippage

TP 14566 – Public Notice
Child Restraint Systems
2011-P01 E
February 14, 2011
Road Safety
Information: 1-800-333-0371

Manufacturer:
Dorel Juvenile Group, Inc.
2525 State Street
Columbus IN 47201
U.S.A.
Web site: www.djgusa.com
Email: harnessadjustment@djgusa.com

Importer and Distributor:
Dorel Distribution Canada
873 Hodge Street
Montreal QC H4N 2B1

Consumer Contact:
1-866-446-2628

Media Contact:
Rick Leckner 1-514-731-0000

Models Affected:

Maxi-Cosi Mico
22371CMJR, 22371CPHT, 22371CLYP, 22371CPNG

Safety 1st Enspira
22453COGI, 22458CNYC

Cosco Alpha Omega
22153CBNG, 22163CMSN, 22163CSGT, 22192CJOL, 22192CSNP, 22C15TUX, 22C26BNG

Eddie Bauer 3-in-1
22C75EBN, 22C76SHL

Safety 1st Alpha Omega
22470CTTN, 22471CPHO, 22551CBLA

Cosco Alpha Omega Elite
22168CHTR, 22168CRGO, 22C51HMR

Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1
22715CMTT, 22754CHPN, 22756CFMT, 22756CLRS, 22757CLNG, 22758CFRK, 22768CBYT, 22768CPST, 22768CSNW, 22790CCGT, 22790CCHL, 22790CSNW, 22C71BGL

Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite
22411CBLL, 22455CJTT, 22456CTTN, 22465CBMT, 22748CRDH, 22749CCAO

Schwinn All Terrain
22181CUGO

Safety 1st Vantage
22564CNTR3

Eddie Bauer Comfort
22868CSNW

Eddie Bauer SureFit
22-659CMTT

Models Affected: Travel System Model No. Infant Seat Model No.
Eddie Bauer Endeavor Travel System 01190CFRK 22659CFRK
Eddie Bauer Endeavor Travel System 01190CSNW 22659CSNW
Eddie Bauer Endeavor Travel System 01190CWPR 22659CWPR

Dates of Manufacture:
May 01, 2008 – April 30, 2009 inclusively

Number of Units:

Geographic Distribution:
Across Canada

Note: A travel system includes a stroller, an infant car seat, and a car seat base. The stroller portion of these units is not affected. The date of manufacture and model number can be found on a label on the side or the back of the restraint system.

Issue:

The centre front adjuster mechanism on the above mentioned restraint systems may not allow the adjustment webbing to lock in place which can result in potential loosening of the harness system. The locking clamp of the adjuster may not rotate freely and the adjuster strap may pull through the adjuster in the lock direction. If the harness system loosens, the resulting slack may reduce the effectiveness of the restraint system in a motor vehicle collision. To date, there have been no reported injuries associated with this issue in Canada.

Background and Company Action:

Transport Canada has received a total of ten complaints stating that, during normal driving manoeuvres, the harness system would loosen. The majority of these restraint systems were procured from the complainants for examination. It was discovered that, with minimal force, the harness systems could be loosened. It appeared that the centre front adjuster, which is used for tightening and loosening the harness system, was not gripping the adjuster strap webbing and therefore allowed the harness to slip. This problem was reported to Dorel Distribution Canada and a number of the restraint systems were sent to them for examination. In addition, Transport Canada and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the United States have been working together on this issue.

Safety Risk:

In the event of a motor vehicle collision, should the harness system loosen, the child/infant may not be fully protected. If the restraint system were forward facing then the harness loosening could affect the allowable limit for the head to move forward (head excursion) in a collision. The loosening of the harness system and subsequent excessive movement of the child’s body and head could lead to serious injury. In a rear-facing restraint system, the harness prevents the body from moving upward or ramping. Looseness of the harness may allow for the head to come up and over the back of the restraint potentially causing neck injuries.

Company Action:

Dorel Juvenile Group, Inc. has completed an intensive internal audit as to the number and dates of manufacture of the affected units. They have developed a repair for the affected unit, which includes the application of a non-toxic food grade lubricant onto the centre front adjuster, which corrects the problem. This repair has been tested by the company for long-term effectiveness.

Consumer Recourse:

Consumers who have completed and returned their registration card will receive a notice by mail. Consumers should visit the Dorel Juvenile Group’s website to verify if their model is included in this public notice. If their model is included in this public notice, the consumer should complete the online order form to obtain the free repair kit. Consumers may also email the company or call the toll-free Consumer Relations number 1-866-446-2628 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST. Consumers should not return the product to retail stores.

Until the repair kit consisting of the lubricant and detailed instructions is received, Dorel Distribution Canada recommends the continued use of the product but to verify the tightness of the harness system every time the restraint system is used.

Transport Canada: 1-800-333-0371

Release Date: February 14, 2011

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Wow wow wow. Now how long before this same recall happens in the US?!?!?!
Hooray for TC being fairly quick on the draw for this, at least :thumbsup:

Wow... but shouldn't this have taken place over a year ago? and how on earth is the average person supposed to "repair" such a problem using a lubricant?

I have to ask... this is down right scary :twocents:

selinajean

Not the first time this has happened and all I am wondering is how long it will be before the current seats see the same notice? :(

snowbird25ca

Wow... but shouldn't this have taken place over a year ago? and how on earth is the average person supposed to "repair" such a problem using a lubricant?

It's simply squeezes on to the harness adjuster mechanism is my understanding. It's a simple fix that apparently has been tested for longevity.

I can't really answer why it wasn't issued over a year ago, but I know that there is often more than what goes public. Sometimes it may be as simple as a supplier having provided a batch of product with a defect that isn't noticed until that batch has already been used up. I know that when an issue doesn't affect every seat it can be harder to determine the cause and make it more difficult to determine a fix. I think in this particular case they've also tested it for long term effectiveness, so maybe that was part of it? I'm really not sure, I just know that things never are as simple on the inside of defect investigations as what they appear to be on the outside.

I will say though, that periods like this are what make me feel impressed when I see companies that have recalls that involve a very small number of seats and a short period of manufacturing involved. Record for smallest number of seats I've seen goes to Graco for recalling 14 comfort sports that had an incorrect amount of padding in the cover. (It was a US only recall, didn't affect CDN seats.)

snowbird25ca

Not the first time this has happened and all I am wondering is how long it will be before the current seats see the same notice? :(

This issue is different than the original - the first had to do with the thickness of the strap that worked well when IMMI adjusters were being used not always holding in the new adjusters.

This one has to do with the spring mechanism of the adjuster.

Though I do understand your sentiment - dorel does seem plagued by adjuster mechanism recalls of one sort or another - maybe they should consider re-designing their adjuster mechanism.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
DisneyWorldNanny said:

Unfortunately it can take a long time to determine what the problem is and how to fix it. It's understandable that people want immediate answers (especially if they have an affected seat) but a quick answer isn't always a good answer. The last thing you want is a spur-of-the-moment solution that turns out to be ineffective.

Now, I'm always slightly suspicious of Dorel, but at least they actually addressed this issue, unlike some other stuff they've swept under the rug.

Hopefully this lubricant solves the problem.

amelia222

I'm happy to see they actually did address this. I thought that they had just ignored it since I sent my defective seat to TC over a year ago. It was scary to discover after 8 months of using a seat that the adjuster wasn't holding the harness tight.

smackeen

Now I need to go check the two seats that I have of those. I 'think' one is affected.

I have to say, this makes me want to go out and buy a new seat for DS#3. Technically his is the TF, but I am using it to re-rearface DS#2.

This style has been recalled a few times already for issues, makes me leary about continuing to use it. :(

Shanora

Alice, my friend also had a seat that the harnesses were slipping....but it wasn't until she was on a major highway in a construction zone that her 2 year old DD was showing her. I remember her panicked text messaged.....

The company sent her a replacement seat and took the old one back to test...

snowbird25ca

Alice, my friend also had a seat that the harnesses were slipping....but it wasn't until she was on a major highway in a construction zone that her 2 year old DD was showing her. I remember her panicked text messaged.....

The company sent her a replacement seat and took the old one back to test...

If you come across this in the future, please put the parent in touch with me and I'll get some info and put them in touch with Barb if what they're describing sounds like a potential defect. I know it sounds cynical, but I don't want parents sending their defective seats just to the manufacturer - I want TC documenting it first.

TC is able to take care of making sure the child still has a safe seat to ride in if they decide the seat is one they would like for testing - if TC didn't want the seat a parent could otherwise proceed through the manufacturer like normal, but in my experience, a seat with a definite problem is one that TC wants to get their hands on - so to speak. And whenever possible I want TC to get first crack at any seat with a problem - it makes the manufacturers somewhat more accountable. I've seen enough companies try and sweep things under the rug over the years that I don't trust them to do "the right thing" when they just replace the seat and take the old one back. :(

mommycat

Though I do understand your sentiment - dorel does seem plagued by adjuster mechanism recalls of one sort or another - maybe they should consider re-designing their adjuster mechanism.
My thoughts exactly! I saw the recall and my first reaction was, "harness slipping again? you have got to be kidding me!"

And whenever possible I want TC to get first crack at any seat with a problem - it makes the manufacturers somewhat more accountable. I've seen enough companies try and sweep things under the rug over the years that I don't trust them to do "the right thing" when they just replace the seat and take the old one back. :(
Very good point about contacting TC wrt potential defects.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC