Is the Recaro Proride Convertible seat safe for a newborn?

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this site, mainly because I will be delivering in June and need a car seat for my little one. I have looked at a lot of seats but the one that has caught my eye is the Recaro Proride. It says that it is safe for an infant of 5lbs or more but I'm having trouble convincing my mother in law and of course now she has me doubting this seat. Please anyone help me out whether you have personally used this seat with an infant or if you have any reviews good or bad and if bad if there is any seat that would be better for my baby. Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
For a rear-facing child, the child's shoulders must be *above* the bottom shoulder straps. The ProRide has fairly high bottom straps. It will not fit the vast majority (like 99.5%) of newborns and definitely would not fit a 5-pound baby.

The weights listed are the maximum and minimum tested. They are not a guide to usability. A 5# baby will not fit in a Recaro ProRide, a 90# child will not fit in a Recaro ProSport, a 5# baby will not fit in a Dorel Alpha Omega, a 40# child will not fit in a Graco ComfortSport, a 100# child will not fit in a highbacked Graco TurboBooster, and so on.

If you are looking at convertible seats that fit newborns well, the Graco MyRide, Sunshine Kids Radians, and Evenflo Triumph65 are a few that are likely to fit full-term newborns of average size and shape.

M

Mrs.Lee

For a rear-facing child, the child's shoulders must be *above* the bottom shoulder straps. The ProRide has fairly high bottom straps. It will not fit the vast majority (like 99.5%) of newborns and definitely would not fit a 5-pound baby.

The weights listed are the maximum and minimum tested. They are not a guide to usability. A 5# baby will not fit in a Recaro ProRide, a 90# child will not fit in a Recaro ProSport, a 5# baby will not fit in a Dorel Alpha Omega, a 40# child will not fit in a Graco ComfortSport, a 100# child will not fit in a highbacked Graco TurboBooster, and so on.

If you are looking at convertible seats that fit newborns well, the Graco MyRide, Sunshine Kids Radians, and Evenflo Triumph65 are a few that are likely to fit full-term newborns of average size and shape.
:yeahthat:
I am going to try to get these pictures here...we will see if it works?! I just got 2 new seats for dd(2.5) and ds(10mo, but size of a 6 or 7mo old) I tried him in both the proride and the evenflo momentum. He JUST fits the proride SAFELY. The momentum is much like the efta mentioned above:) I hope I can get these pics up so you can see. So, DS is in the momentum and DD will be in the proride when it arrives:) hope this helps!

carseatcrazy001.jpg

carseatcrazy022.jpg

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Are you skipping the infant seat completely? I only ask this because I know a lot of parents love the infant seat for convenience. If the baby falls asleep in the car, you just bring the whole carrier in wherever you are going. A lot of people do the convertible from birth to save money, and some find that way easier.

The Combi Coccoro and First Years True Fit also fit newborns well and will allow you to rearface your baby past 1 year.

Kat_Momof3

I'd also mention that for long-term, the proride isn't a great seat... it's sturdy, well constructed and safe, of course...

but if you look at our ADORABLE model above, you'll quickly notice that the leg room on the evenflo (and on most other convertible seats) is just WAY BETTER... for long term rearfacing, which is safest, you're going to need leg room... cause legs grow.

I'm sure it's fine for rearfacing up to the minimum of 1yr... MAYBE up to our preferred minimum of 2yrs and 30lbs... but other seats can rearface the typical kid until 4-5yrs old... and harness about as long because...

yep... the shoulder area is narrow, too.

There is no model above for me to try to point that out, but others have tried it out and, much like the recaro signo, kids just run out of room for their shoulders in terms of width.

U

Unregistered

I have the recaro proride for my son who is now two and Have a daughter due feb 1st of this year so my son has recently been upgraded to the prosport I love both of these seats recaro will send you the baby insert for free if you call 1-888-9recaro. I used it with my son from birth he was 6lbs 7oz and i have never loved a carseat more! Hope this helps!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I have the recaro proride for my son who is now two and Have a daughter due feb 1st of this year so my son has recently been upgraded to the prosport I love both of these seats recaro will send you the baby insert for free if you call 1-888-9recaro. I used it with my son from birth he was 6lbs 7oz and i have never loved a carseat more! Hope this helps!

Thank you for contributing to this thread. It is over a year old so I don't know if the OP is still around, however, I do have a question for you.

Did the insert raise your son's seating position enough for his shoulders to be even with the bottom slot?

U

Unregistered

Any update? I'm planning on using the proride for my newborn but now second guessing it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC