Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Carseat Chat

Notices

Carseat Chat Introductions and Miscellaneous Child Passenger Safety Topics and Chat. Discuss Ratings, Laws, News, Etc. No Off-topic Discussions!

Carseat Chat is sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
autumnlily
CPS Technician

autumnlily is almost a CPS know-it-allautumnlily is almost a CPS know-it-allautumnlily is almost a CPS know-it-allautumnlily is almost a CPS know-it-all
Safety 1st - Comfy Carry Elite

So, I have one in my hot little hands! I called Dorel for more info and have a little more to share.

More Pics added in post #10

I have not taken the time to play with the installation of the seat.

My package material calls my front adjust Comfy Carry seat:
  • Comfy Carry Elite
  • it has a front harness adjuster (the rep wasn't clear, but I believe that is what constitutes it as "elite")
  • My manual mentioned something about a recline foot on select models. My Comfy Carry Elite does NOT have a recline foot. I called Dorel and was told that the Comfy Carry Elite PLUS will have a recline foot and that will be the only difference between the two seats (the recline foot). ETA is March 2011 for the Plus model.
  • I am not sure if the basic Comfy Carry will have a PLUS version or not (if it did - that would be a back harness adjuster with a base that has a recline foot)

I'm not certain of the retail breakdown prices between the Comfy Carry, Comfy Carry Elite and Comfy Carry Elite PLUS.

Stated Limits:
Weight Range: 4-22lbs
Height Range: 29 inches or less (manual does not have an instruction regarding 1" top of shell requirement)

Measurements (taken with a soft tape measure - when in doubt I went to the next .25"):
Lowest Harness Height: 5.25 in
Highest Harness Height: 11.25 in
Shortest Buckle Position: 3.25 in
Longest Buckle Position: 6.25 in (there is a middle slot at 4.75 in)
Crotch Buckle Length: 4.5 in.
Internal Seating Depth: 11.5 in
Internal Seating Height: 18.75 in
Internal Bottom Width: 10.75 in
Base Length: 21 in
Base Width: 14.25 in
External Seat Width: 17 in (from edge of handle adjuster to handle adjuster)
Seat Weight: (best estimate) under 7lbs for the carrier alone (shipping weight with base in a Cosco Scenera box was 12.6lbs)

Other Information:
Lock-offs Provided: No Lock-offs
Seat Modes: With/Without Base
Expiration Limit: 6 yrs (Do Not Use date stamped on the seat is only a year (does not clarify month))
Allowed Handle Positions in Vehicle: Any locked position.

Comments:
  • There is only a marked line on the shell to determine angle of seat
  • use of a pool noodle or tightly rolled towel is allowed when seat is installed without the base and with the base *as long as the recline foot is NOT in use*
  • I don't have a preemie training doll to test with - but I believe it will fit a tiny baby very well and hope that the shorter buckle position and length will not ride too high on the smallest of the babies (I know the length of the buckle on the Graco Snugride 30 has posed some questions regarding this)
  • Added:There are instructions for buckle adjustment for smaller babies... it is the same adustment allowed by OnBoard infant seats!

Last edited by autumnlily; 01-18-2011 at 11:48 PM.

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
MomToEliEm

MomToEliEm is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertMomToEliEm is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertMomToEliEm is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertMomToEliEm is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertMomToEliEm is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertMomToEliEm is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertMomToEliEm is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertMomToEliEm is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertMomToEliEm is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertMomToEliEm is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertMomToEliEm is a Car-Seat.Org Expert
Re: Safety 1st - Comfy Carry Elite

Thanks for all that great info. Hopefully I will get the info updated soon in the Carseat Features and Data forum.

Does anyone know if this seat is released to the public yet? I can't seem to find it on Amazon or Babies R Us sites, or even on the Safety 1st website.
MomToEliEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Kecia
Admin - CPST Instructor

Kecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Thanks for the photos - I'm disappointed that apparently there will now be 3 different versions and that 2 of the 3 will have a base that doesn't have a recline feature.

At ABC, Dorel told us there will be a basic $59 model (with rear adjuster, no head-hugger insert and no recline on the base) and then a $79 "Elite" model with front adjuster AND splitter plate (an important distiction since their Designer 22 with front adjuster didn't have a splitter plate), head-hugger and base *with* recline. All versions are supposed to be rated from 4 lbs and will have standard metal buckles (instead of those plastic compound buckles).

I still think this could be a great "program seat" but I won't be recommending it as such until I see a base with recline. Thanks again for the photos!
Kecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Kobain's Mommy
CPS Fanatic

Kobain's Mommy is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorKobain's Mommy is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

How much room does it take up front to back with the base? Looks like it would take up more room because of those bumps on the base.

Kobain's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Spam
Senior Community Member

Spam is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Spam is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Spam is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Spam is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Spam is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Spam is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

it's cute, the base looks funky.
Brody 3/30/13 32" 27lbs cco, ccsr35
Spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
autumnlily
CPS Technician

autumnlily is almost a CPS know-it-allautumnlily is almost a CPS know-it-allautumnlily is almost a CPS know-it-allautumnlily is almost a CPS know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kecia View Post
Thanks for the photos - I'm disappointed that apparently there will now be 3 different versions and that 2 of the 3 will have a base that doesn't have a recline feature.

At ABC, Dorel told us there will be a basic $59 model (with rear adjuster, no head-hugger insert and no recline on the base) and then a $79 "Elite" model with front adjuster AND splitter plate (an important distiction since their Designer 22 with front adjuster didn't have a splitter plate), head-hugger and base *with* recline. All versions are supposed to be rated from 4 lbs and will have standard metal buckles (instead of those plastic compound buckles).

I still think this could be a great "program seat" but I won't be recommending it as such until I see a base with recline. Thanks again for the photos!
Thankfully it does have a splitter plate (double). It was very easy to adjust the the straps. I too was shocked when I found out that the Elite did not have the recline foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobain's Mommy View Post
How much room does it take up front to back with the base? Looks like it would take up more room because of those bumps on the base.
I have a KeyFit and OnBoard 35 Air... I can take some comparison shots (first uninstalled and when I have a moment to escape outside... installed). I have to pull the OnBoard out... but I recall the foot of the base looking somewhat similar. However, I too thought that the seat would rest over the foot of the base and cover the odd bumps instead of being so far set back. It IS odd looking! I can't wait to try a locking shoulder belt install and see if it is less "tippy" than other non-lock-off bases.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
laccaycol
Carseat Crazy

laccaycol has disabled reputation

Yes comparison pics please
Old 01-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Kat_Momof3
CPS Advocate

Kat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I think this needs to go on the blog!

and is there a reason for the base's design (though I do think that it will provide more leg room, which parents may like)

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos
Kat_Momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
cookie123
CPS Technician

cookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-all

It would seem difficult to get a good install with a pointed base. And without a recline foot, to balance that on a pool noodle might be tricky.
Matt- 6 - Pkwy/Monterey
Griffin - 1 - PVC/Size4Me/ProRide
cookie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
autumnlily
CPS Technician

More Pictures. And Swtgi1982 asked me an awesome question about the option to make the buckle shorter for smaller babies... a feature on the OnBoard and YES, you are allowed to shorten the buckle stalk!

Old 01-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #11
Cryssy Jane
CPS Technician

Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!
Not the elite but I saw the comfy carry at my local target today.

Crystal: CPST, DCP and BFF to:
Hunter: 1 year, 17lbs rf in a blvd 70 Isabella: 2.5 years, 26lbs rf in a blvd 70
Luis: 4 years, 50lbs FF in a FR90 Efren: 4.5 years, 36lbs FF in a FR90

Last edited by Cryssy Jane; 01-30-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Cryssy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You from:
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #12
Kat_Momof3
CPS Advocate

Kat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I wonder how bad the rear adjust is (since this is otherwise a seat that would be great to recommend to first time moms/moms of multiples on a budget

Old 01-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #13
joolsplus3
Admin - CPS Technician

joolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Does it snap into the OnBoard base? (apologies if I missed that detail, I just browsed this thread quickly )
Old 01-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
autumnlily
CPS Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
Does it snap into the OnBoard base? (apologies if I missed that detail, I just browsed this thread quickly )
Nope

The OnBoard has a metal clamp on each side and the Comfy Elite attaches in one space near the center (see the funny little metal prongs on the Elite base). It's one of the first things I tried.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
autumnlily
CPS Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_Momof3 View Post
I wonder how bad the rear adjust is (since this is otherwise a seat that would be great to recommend to first time moms/moms of multiples on a budget
I will try to swing by Target today and take a peek... hopefully they will have one in stock like Cryssy Jane (we are both on the West Coast).

But, if the Elite is either $69.99 or $79.99 for a front adjust that is pretty reasonable two . For multiples, I wonder if Safety 1st has a double snap n go yet?/
Old 01-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
cookie123
CPS Technician

cookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-all

Okay, I see now the base has the point on both sides and it's rounded. I missed that before. Still saying - the base looks cheap.
Matt- 6 - Pkwy/Monterey
Griffin - 1 - PVC/Size4Me/ProRide
cookie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #17
Judi
CPST/Firefighter

Judi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Interesting. I am a little jealous that you have it. Maybe you could plan to be at the playdaye?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
lovemybabies924
CPS Technician

lovemybabies924 is almost a CPS know-it-alllovemybabies924 is almost a CPS know-it-alllovemybabies924 is almost a CPS know-it-all

i like the concept of the base tho..this is the one w/the spot for your knee to get a good install right?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #19
Kat_Momof3
CPS Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnlily View Post
I will try to swing by Target today and take a peek... hopefully they will have one in stock like Cryssy Jane (we are both on the West Coast).

But, if the Elite is either $69.99 or $79.99 for a front adjust that is pretty reasonable two . For multiples, I wonder if Safety 1st has a double snap n go yet?/
I agree.. but some people are scrounging every penny for that 50 dollar one... and if Cosco is going to insist on churning out seats with rear-adjust harnesses, they need to up their game and make it easier to use than the only other ones... Graco.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #20
Cryssy Jane
CPS Technician

Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!
Just a heads up. My nearest target had one on display but didn't have any in stock yet. The next closest target didn't have any period. The manager I talked to at the first said they were re-doing all of their baby stuff and all should be set up by January 25th.

Crystal: CPST, DCP and BFF to:
Hunter: 1 year, 17lbs rf in a blvd 70 Isabella: 2.5 years, 26lbs rf in a blvd 70
Luis: 4 years, 50lbs FF in a FR90 Efren: 4.5 years, 36lbs FF in a FR90

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!