Do lock-offs stretch seat belts?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I had ds's SS1 base out over the weekend and put it back in the next day and noticed there was still a line from where the lock off indent was. Granted I had that seatbelt as tight as possible and it had been hard to close the lock-off, but I'm just wondering if seatbelt webbing stretches as a result of being in a lock-off for an extended period of time?

I had to remove the plastic button that holds the buckle from sliding down when I reinstalled it because it was blocking the lock-off now when I tightened the belt as tight as I could.. I didn't have that interference when I first installed the base...

So, I'm just curious. After a seat belt is used extensively with a lock off, will it eventually need to be replaced?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Not unless it develops major visible fraying or 'runs' like cheap pantyhose. It's just a dent, really, because there is some air in that seatbelt, between the threads, if you look at it with a microscope, there's just space for things to dent and wrinkle. It'll go away after the lockoff is off the belt for some time. :)

Cindy&Connor

I noticed the dent in my sil's seatbelt where I installed the Safeseat base also. I think it's really just a dent. Just to add though, when I reinstall any seat it's always tighter than the first time. I think it's because the seat is already compressed so it's easier to compress it a little more.

griffinmom

I had to remove the plastic button that holds the buckle from sliding down when I reinstalled it because it was blocking the lock-off now when I tightened the belt as tight as I could.. I didn't have that interference when I first installed the base...

So, I'm just curious. After a seat belt is used extensively with a lock off, will it eventually need to be replaced?

No, seatbelts used extensively with lockoffs generally do not need to be replaced. However, YOUR seatbelt might need to be replaced if you removed the little plastic button. Did it leave a hole in the seatbelt? What does it look like now? The seatbelt could be seriously weakened by removal of the button. Car manufacturers do not want you to remove it. Car seat manufacturers will tell you to move the seat to another seating position if the button interferes with installation.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No, seatbelts used extensively with lockoffs generally do not need to be replaced. However, YOUR seatbelt might need to be replaced if you removed the little plastic button. Did it leave a hole in the seatbelt? What does it look like now? The seatbelt could be seriously weakened by removal of the button. Car manufacturers do not want you to remove it. Car seat manufacturers will tell you to move the seat to another seating position if the button interferes with installation.

Emily, SBS says to take the button off if it interferes.

"Button on lap-shoulder belt webbing

A button is often attached to lap-shoulder belt webbing to keep the latchplate from falling down out of reach. If this button prevents the belt from retracting far enough to secure the CR firmly, the button may be clipped off, taking care not to cut the belt"

Though, of course if the belt is actually cut or holey it should be replaced.

griffinmom

Julie,

I concur with SBS on this. However, the ways I've seen it done it never seems to "clipped off," rather they seem to be "dug out" with a screwdriver leaving a big hole!

I do know Britax does not want you to remove anything from the seatbelt. I've called Sarah several times on this issue and she always suggests moving to another seating position.

Take care.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Julie,

I concur with SBS on this. However, the ways I've seen it done it never seems to "clipped off," rather they seem to be "dug out" with a screwdriver leaving a big hole!

I do know Britax does not want you to remove anything from the seatbelt. I've called Sarah several times on this issue and she always suggests moving to another seating position.

Take care.

Ok, makes sense, Thanks! :)

snowbird25ca

Thanks guys.

I was sure I had read that it was fine to remove the button if it interfered with installation when I read through a manual put together by our province. I removed the button by putting a flat piece of thin plastic between the belt and the button so that it didn't dig into the belt. The button itself could spin freely before anyways. There was a plastic point on one side of the button that went through the belt to secure it to the other side of the button, but it was in between the webbing fibers, when I took it out and tugged on the belt in a few directions, you couldn't tell where it had been and there was no indentation where it was attached.

I could've honestly kept it installed and worked around the button just by changing the angle on the base or allowing a tiny bit of wiggle room, but I wanted it more upright for ds now that he's older and since I'd read it was acceptable, I figured that was the way to go.

So does it sound like my belt is ok then?

FWIW, on our first Saturn the belt got closed in the door one time and the button came off... the dealership said they could replace the seatbelt if we wanted to have the button on the belt, but we never did. (They couldn't just put on a new button, they had to replace the belt if I remember right... but they had no worries about us using the belt without the button.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC