Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Carseat Chat

Notices

Carseat Chat Introductions and Miscellaneous Child Passenger Safety Topics and Chat. Discuss Ratings, Laws, News, Etc. No Off-topic Discussions!

Carseat Chat is sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

Old 12-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
An Aurora
CPS Technician

An Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Winter coats and car seats (very pic heavy!)

*More pics in post #15
*Please see my blog for more pictures--I am limited to the number of pics I can post in a single post on here!

I took some pictures today to share with another forum, and thought I would share here.

This is Mali, my five year old, wearing her normal outdoor gear: snow bibs, and a warm winter jacket:

She is buckled in securely, with the straps tightened so that they pass the "pinch test":

Without loosening the straps, this is how she fits without the snow pants and coat:

Look at all that slack! In a crash, puffy coats and snow suits will compress in a crash, introducing slack.

In a crash, the chest clip is designed to break or move down. So if that happens...

...her shoulders very easily fit through the shoulder straps.

...and this is how much movement it would allow. She could easily be ejected from the seat.

Here is Scarlett, my three year old, wearing her normal gear: snow bibs and her warm coat.

Straps are snug, and pass the pinch test: my fingers slide right off the strap and I cannot pinch a horizontal fold in the strap.

With the coat and bibs removed:

She is easily able to wriggle free.

So how do we keep them warm and safe? For babies, a good-quality fleece one-piece outfit with a long-sleeved onesie or cotton pajamas is a good start. If you are using an infant seat, choose a shower-cap style cover for it, as these keep the wind and cold off your little one without introducing slack into the harness. You can also tuck blankets over the baby, and the shower cap cover will keep them in place--but once the car warms up, don't forget to unzip the cover and loosen the blankets so baby doesn't get overheated! The "bunting" style bags should be avoided, since those go between the car seat and the child, and that extra bulk will compress in a crash much like the puffy coats.

For older children, choose smart layers. My kids wear tights under fleece pants, a long-sleeved shirt with a good-quality fleece jacket over top, and if it's windy, a light-weight windbreaker. Don't forget warm boots, a cozy hat, and mittens!

Here's Mali all ready to go:

Here she is buckled in:

After she's buckled, I tuck her warm winter coat around her, and she kicks it off after the car gets warm.

If you're not sure your coat is ok to use in the car, try the test I showed above: buckle your child into the car as you normally would, tighten the straps until they pass the pinch test, then without loosening the straps remove the child, take off all those warm layers, and rebuckle to see how much slack is in the harness.

Last edited by An Aurora; 12-23-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Thank You from:

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
twinsmom
Carseat Crazy

twinsmom is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authortwinsmom is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authortwinsmom is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author
Re: Winter coats and car seats (very pic heavy!)

Great pics. Thanks for that. Looks like it was a lot of work!!

Jack and Katie, 8 years old!
Riding in Montereys and Maxi Cosi Rodi XRs
twinsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
lovemybabies924
CPS Technician

lovemybabies924 is almost a CPS know-it-alllovemybabies924 is almost a CPS know-it-alllovemybabies924 is almost a CPS know-it-all

good job! love it
Old 12-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Minnesota
CPST Instructor

Minnesota is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorMinnesota is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Nice thorough tutorial, and easy for parents to understand. Great work!
A ~ 8 years, 60 lbs ~ Boostered in his FR85 & ParkwaySG
K ~ 5 years, 40 lbs ~ FF in his FR85 & MA70
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
rachelandtyke
Senior Community Member

rachelandtyke is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!rachelandtyke is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!rachelandtyke is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!rachelandtyke is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!rachelandtyke is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!rachelandtyke is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

Thanks for sharing that! It really is amazing (and scary) the difference!
rachelandtyke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Mommy2Marcus
CPS Fanatic

Mommy2Marcus is almost a CPS know-it-allMommy2Marcus is almost a CPS know-it-allMommy2Marcus is almost a CPS know-it-allMommy2Marcus is almost a CPS know-it-all

Awsome job & great pictures. I think alot of people understand visual better than type.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Notaclue
Carseat Crazy

Notaclue is a Car-Seat.Org cub writer

Thanks! I shared it on FB!
Notaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Angela
CPS Fanatic

Angela is almost a CPS know-it-allAngela is almost a CPS know-it-allAngela is almost a CPS know-it-all

Do you mind if we share?
Old 12-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
An Aurora
CPS Technician

An Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Yes, please feel free to share!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
Kac
CPS Technician

Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Kac is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

Great pictures. Thanks for all of the info!
Kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
aisraeltax
Carseat Crazy

aisraeltax is a Car-Seat.org recognized contributor

thank you!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
TechnoGranola
Forum Ambassador

TechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org LeaderTechnoGranola is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Awesome thanks! Apparently I've given too much rep in the last 24 hours, but when I'm able you'll be getting some!
TechnoGranola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
njkj
Senior Community Member

njkj is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authornjkj is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authornjkj is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

I shared on facebook
Nikki, Navy wife to Kevin and Mom to Jacob 6/05, 57in, and 62lbs riding in a harmony youth and other variuos backless boosters and Grace 11/09, 41in, and 40lbs riding in a Nauti (rear faced for 2y and 10 1/2 months)
Baby Emily 7/12 , riding in a BV70
njkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
geekKT
Carseat Crazy

geekKT is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorgeekKT is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Really nice visual! Thanks!
geekKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
An Aurora
CPS Technician

All buckled in, ready to go. This snowsuit looks pretty harmless, and is a good deal less puffy than many you see out there.

With the snowsuit removed:

Here's the little sweetie in her other ride (the Evenflo Symphony convertible seat):

Harness is nice and snug:

With the snowsuit removed:

Yikes!

I don't have a small infant (my baby is 18 months old, *sniff*) but some fellow car seat nerds have given me these photos to demonstrate safe, warm infants!

Here is a brand new baby ready to head home, safely buckled and using a shower cap style cover:

Here is another teeny guy wearing warm clothing, with the shower cap style cover unzipped.

All zipped up, ready to go!

For an older baby, warm layers with a blanket over top is perfect!

In the infant seat...

...and in the convertible

Old 12-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #16
crunchierthanthou
Moderator - CPS Technician

crunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Thanks, Anna!

and i think it's worth noting that you live in Alaska. Even in the coldest climates, no one needs those puffy coats inside the harness.
crunchierthanthou is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You from:
Old 12-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
An Aurora
CPS Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchierthanthou View Post
Thanks, Anna!

and i think it's worth noting that you live in Alaska. Even in the coldest climates, no one needs those puffy coats inside the harness.
Yes, I agree.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #18
mcomommy
Senior Community Member

mcomommy is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authormcomommy is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notaclue View Post
Thanks! I shared it on FB!
O 5 years in a Graco Affix HBB
H 2 years RF in a Chicco Nextfit
mcomommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #19
gigi
CPS Fanatic

gigi has disabled reputation

Just a quick question... in the pics with older kids and puffy coats, are you tightening in the harness as much as you can, or just tightening it until it "passes" the pinch test?

I'm totally on board with the intent of your post (my 3.5 year old son never wears coats in the car), I'm just curious.
gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #20
An Aurora
CPS Technician

I tighten until it passes the pinch test, just like I do when they are not wearing coats. It is unnecessary to tighten the harness beyond passing the pinch test.

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!