Question Britax Marathon 70 detatched from base

U

Unregistered

I went to get my daughter's Britax Marathon 70 out of my MIL's car, and the seat is partially detached from the base. It looks like 2 screws on either side of the base came out. WTF? I'm on the phone with Britax right now, but I'm wondering has this happened to anyone else?

ADS

MomToEliEm

That doesn't sound good. Can you take a picture of it and post it so we can see what you are talking about? To post a picture, put the picture into a photobucket account (or other file sharing site) and put the img link in a post here.

Last edited:

NatNat's Mom

I just registered so I'm not "unregistered" anymore lol. They didn't really say anything except that it shouldn't have happened and they haven't heard this complaint from any other consumer. They're shipping out a new seat today that I should have in a few days, and I'm to ship the defective one back to them once I receive the shipping label in the mail. It's weird. I'm wondering if MIL broke it somehow. We move the car seat back and forth between my car, my husband's car and MIL's car. I'm wondering if all the movement caused it to break? I've had this seat less than 3 weeks though. That's really scary. If it detaches so easily, what the heck woulda happened if it there had been a car accident?

ctbcleveland

Transferring a seat in and out of a vehicle absolutely should not cause this to happen. These seats are praised for ease of use and many people specifically get them for situations where frequent installs and uninstalls need to occur.

NatNat's Mom

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...9_899027858851_5016196_48792724_4058216_a.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...3_899029206151_5016196_48792778_3280104_a.jpg

It's only partially detached now because my husband found one of the screws and re-attached it. Picture #1 shows the missing screw on one side. Picture #2 shows the screw in place on the other side. When both screws were missing, I was able to pick up the car seat and the base was dangling from it. The base is attached with the 2 screws, but it is also attached to the seat from the front where the recline lever is.

daycaremom2002

That is scary. Pictures would be great though, so that we can see the exact problem and be on the look out for it in the future.

Glad they are taking care of it and getting you a new seat quickly.

M

Mom<3'sBennett

Just wanted to add that I ran into this same problem with the Britax Marathon 70 today. It has only been installed for 2 months and never taken out or moved. One set of the bolts fell off and the other side was extremely loose. My husband was able to re-tighten them with an allen wrench, but we are still concerned that the safety of the car seat has been compromised. I plan on calling Britax first thing tomorrow. Britax owners beware!!

Kat_Momof3

That is so scary... but the response from Britax is just what I would expect... that's one thing I will always love about Britax... they have awesome customer service!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Since I posted here before, I had this happen with a brand new Boulevard 70. The dad said there was an extra piece in the box, and it was half a screw. True to Britax, they sent a whole new seat rather than a screw.

Wendy

luckyclov

I'm (mostly) loyal to Britax because of their outstanding customer service, proactive recalls, and cute patterns. Yep, I said it. I am.

That said, holy crap - that's scary!
I haven't had any issues whatsoever with my MA70, major or minor (yet), fortunately.

hrice

Just wanted to add that I ran into this same problem with the Britax Marathon 70 today. It has only been installed for 2 months and never taken out or moved. One set of the bolts fell off and the other side was extremely loose. My husband was able to re-tighten them with an allen wrench, but we are still concerned that the safety of the car seat has been compromised. I plan on calling Britax first thing tomorrow. Britax owners beware!!

This is scary! If it were me I would not use the seat and wait for the replacement.

mommycat

Wow, scary! and so unexpected somehow, for Britax. Good to know there is an issue to look out for. Thanks for posting!

cpsaddict

Scary! I have had my Marathon 70 since August and have not had an issue with it. We have moved it all over the place, too. I am going to check it thoroughly this evening.

NatNat's Mom

Wow! When I posted back in November, I thought I was the only one with this problem! I wonder if it's just a bad batch of seats? My original seat was manufactured in i think 09/2010. I got my replacement seat in just 3 days (luckily she still fit in her bucket seat at the time), and I haven't had any issues since. I didn't even think to report this to the NHTSA. I'll do that right now.

Calleiah

Just out of curiosity, can you list where the seats were made? Im wondering if this is a manufacturing error at a particular location, or if it's more widespread than that.
Definitely something to watch out for, and a bit disappointing to be honest. While Im thrilled that they've responded so well, Im a little stunned that they are even having this issue.

MirMom

I posted about something like this awhile back and now I think I am going to re-check our MA70. When we first got it, the bolts seemed awfully loose. I called CS and they reassured me that they are supposed to be somewhat loose, so that the seat can recline properly. Hearing stories like this just really scares me a lot. :( I just wonder how loose is "too loose?" :confused:

U

Unregistered

We just had the same thing happen tonight. We took my van to have the installation inspected and when they kneeled in to tighten it, the same screw that the OP pictured popped right out. My husband was able to tighten the screw but like PP said...what if we had been in an accident? Seems like this should be a recall item for sure. I'm calling Britax tomorrow to report it and will follow the link above as well. This is really upsetting to me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC