Question Seat belt retractor broken

poohbearkrazy

My dad is giving us a 1990 Ford Taurus, and I remember from the last time I rode in it probably 8 years ago that the back driver side seat belt is broken. It does not feed back into the retractor at all. The seat belts do not lock in it and I will have to use a locking clip or a seat with lock offs. Is it safe to use the broken seat belt for car seat installation?

ETA: The car has never been in any kind of accident, my dad is not sure what happened to the seat belt, he is going to try to fix it but if he cant we will still need to use it if it will be safe.

Last edited:
ADS

jjordan

I had a broken retractor fixed by a body shop before, fwiw.

If the seatbelt won't retract at all, then a locking clip or built-in lockoffs won't help. However a belt shortening clip might be an option. You'd probably need a CPST to teach you how to use one.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A locking clip won't help if it won't go back in. You'd need to find a technician with experience using a belt shortening clip. And those are few and far between (I wouldn't dare do it).

Wendy

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If he takes off all the trim and casing around the retractor, he may be able to fix it if the cause is a twist in the belt under the casing or a coin or toy a kiddo stuck in there.

I have instructions for using a belt c=shortening clip under my albums and you could call me if you think that would help. We have had 4 vehicles between me and my family that need BSCs so I have LOTS of practice.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I don't see how a shortening clip would help. My belt that needed the shortening clip was a lap only on an ELR retractor. If she has a lap/shoulder, maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't the locking clip keep it tight at the lap portion, where it needs to be tight?

I will follow this thread to make sure I get my facts correct and don't give wrong info but from what I remember and what I'm thinking, the locking clip would be exactly what she needs.

poohbearkrazy

I don't see how a shortening clip would help. My belt that needed the shortening clip was a lap only on an ELR retractor. If she has a lap/shoulder, maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't the locking clip keep it tight at the lap portion, where it needs to be tight?

I will follow this thread to make sure I get my facts correct and don't give wrong info but from what I remember and what I'm thinking, the locking clip would be exactly what she needs.

See these were my thoughts as well. I would think if I installed it as tight as I could and then put the locking clip where it belongs, it should work? The only problem would be the fact that theres no protection in a crash, other than the locking clip. If I remember right, the locking clip is a pre crash positioner and if it fails then it relies on the ELR to kick in, but if the retractor is broken then the ELR won't be there to kick in. These are just my silly thoughts though and they may not make any sense at all. LOL

Qarin

You would use a belt-shortening clip to remove ALL slack from the belt (but you'd need to be completely sure that that retractor had let out every last bit). A locking clip, you are absolutey correct PBK, is a pre-crash positioner and relies on the belt's emergency locking in a crash. A belt which does not lock in a crash (or even retract at rest) will not work when it's needed, and a locking clip would do nothing at all for crash protection.

I strongly recommend not trying to install a seat there until the belt has been repaired or replaced.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
You may be correct but I wonder then if you could just use a shortening clip in place of a locking clip but used the same way. Since the shortening clip is made of titanium and made to withstand crash forces. Hmmmmm.....
Hopefully we can figure this out for you.

Qarin

You may be correct but I wonder then if you could just use a shortening clip in place of a locking clip but used the same way. Since the shortening clip is made of titanium and made to withstand crash forces. Hmmmmm.....
Hopefully we can figure this out for you.

A belt shortening clip is installed differently, with multiple layers going through in a specific way to truly LOCK the clip on. A locking clip is not expected to break in a crash, it's expected to fly off one or both parts of the belt, and a BSC installed like a locking clip would be expected to do the same thing.

poohbearkrazy

You would use a belt-shortening clip to remove ALL slack from the belt (but you'd need to be completely sure that that retractor had let out every last bit). A locking clip, you are absolutey correct PBK, is a pre-crash positioner and relies on the belt's emergency locking in a crash. A belt which does not lock in a crash (or even retract at rest) will not work when it's needed, and a locking clip would do nothing at all for crash protection.

I strongly recommend not trying to install a seat there until the belt has been repaired or replaced.

That's what I thought :(. Thank you for making me feel intelligent though. LOL :D

Bolly

My dad is giving us a 1990 Ford Taurus, and I remember from the last time I rode in it probably 8 years ago that the back driver side seat belt is broken. It does not feed back into the retractor at all. The seat belts do not lock in it and I will have to use a locking clip or a seat with lock offs. Is it safe to use the broken seat belt for car seat installation?

ETA: The car has never been in any kind of accident, my dad is not sure what happened to the seat belt, he is going to try to fix it but if he cant we will still need to use it if it will be safe.

My husband has the same problem with one of the belts in his 97 Taurus. We're going to find the part and just replace it. It wasn't an issue until now because we only ever had one car seat now we will have 2 but since it is not the main vehicle its not a huge priority. I drive the main vehicle both kids and the teen ride in.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC