Full Desktop Site Register
Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice>Question about DOM - good deal or no?
NatenMaddiesMommy 08:55 PM 04-04-2007
Albee Baby has a SafeSeat1 (Meteor) for $94.99. So far this is the cheapest I have seen anywhere. However, the DOM is September 2006 so I am wondering if this is really a good deal, or if I would be better off waiting a month or so until DD actually outgrows her SnugRide by height and risk paying $30 -$50 more for one with a more recent DOM?

Thanks in advance

oxeye 09:06 PM 04-04-2007
The safeseat1 is still an infant seat isn't it? I worry less about a recent DOM with an infant seat because they use them for such a limited time anyway. Unless you're planning on having a bunch of kids to pass the seat down to a a big age difference (4+ years) I don't think you really need to worry about it.

It's not like a convertible were you will likely use it until it expires so those 6 months are helpful. Unless of course you really do think you will get the full 6 years of use of it .... just depends on your situation, but I don't think it would matter for most people.
NatenMaddiesMommy 07:49 AM 04-05-2007
We are planning to have 1 or 2 more children and hoping to space them 2 years apart with the last one being born in 2010. So I guess I would like to get as much use out of it as possible. So it wouldn't expire until September 2012, so my thought is that it will be just fine, and I won't have to buy another infant seat.

I've already tried putting her in a convertible, but she seemed to actually prefer her infant seat. She always put up a fight when I would try to strap her in the convertible, but I never have any problems with getting her in the infant seat. Plus it's hard carrying her around town when I have my 3 year old and my sister's 2 year old in tow. If she falls asleep in her convertible, she wakes up when I get her out. But in her infant seat she just snoozes away. And if she's anything like my son she won't be down to one nap a day until close to 18 months. So I just thought it would be more convenient (for me) to keep her in the infant seat as long as possible. And since she's about to grow out of it, I either need to get her a SafeSeat or just bite the bullet and move her to a convertible.
Splash 08:10 AM 04-05-2007
Buy it. If you have to buy a new seat for the hypothetical third child, then you have to buy a new seat. You'll probably want to, anyway. I have a SS1 in my shed that I loved with my son, and might use it for the next kid... but, maybe not. If there is something better on the market, I'll use that. I can't see myself getting six years out of any car seat, to be honest. I'll give the thing away before then and upgrade to a newer model.
Besides, in a brick and mortar store, you're not likely to find a seat newer than a few months old, anyway. This is only seven months, about a tenth of the seat's "life" with a quarter of the price knocked off.
NatenMaddiesMommy 09:47 AM 04-05-2007
Originally Posted by Splash:
Buy it. If you have to buy a new seat for the hypothetical third child, then you have to buy a new seat. You'll probably want to, anyway. I have a SS1 in my shed that I loved with my son, and might use it for the next kid... but, maybe not. If there is something better on the market, I'll use that. I can't see myself getting six years out of any car seat, to be honest. I'll give the thing away before then and upgrade to a newer model.
Besides, in a brick and mortar store, you're not likely to find a seat newer than a few months old, anyway. This is only seven months, about a tenth of the seat's "life" with a quarter of the price knocked off.
Thanks, very good points. I will buy it
Tags:None

Reply Up

Forum Home | Sponsors: Clek | Nuna | Maxi-Cosi | Britax | Graco | Kids-N-Cribs | Amazon