Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Carseat Chat

Notices

Carseat Chat Introductions and Miscellaneous Child Passenger Safety Topics and Chat. Discuss Ratings, Laws, News, Etc. No Off-topic Discussions!

Carseat Chat is sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

Old 10-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Admin
Admin - Webmaster

Admin has disabled reputation
Summer Infant Prodigy Press Release

Hot off the presses. You can also read our Blog about the Prodigy.

Quote:
Summer Infant Launches Revolutionary Prodigy™ Infant Car Seat and Travel System

Includes Unique SmartScreen™ Digital Technology and SafeGuard™ 1Adjust™ Harness System

WOONSOCKET, Rhode Island (October 14, 2010) - Summer Infant, Inc. ("Summer Infant" or the "Company") (NASDAQ: SUMR), a leading developer and distributor of juvenile health, safety, and wellness products, today announced the expansion of their product portfolio with the introduction of the revolutionary Prodigy™ Infant Car Seat and Travel System. These products mark the company’s first entry into the category.

"Considering 7 out of 10 car seats are installed incorrectly, we challenged ourselves three years ago to provide a solution to address this unacceptable statistic," states Jason Macari, President and CEO of Summer Infant. "We understand and respect the importance of developing a car seat that ensures the safety of its passengers. The only way in which to do this was to create a car seat that addresses the proper fit to the car, fit to the child, and overall ease of installation."

To this end, the Prodigy infant car seat and base includes three key innovative features:
  • First is the completely unique SmartScreen™ technology located on the base. This SmartScreen provides clear, step-by-step instructions that guide parents through a simple three-step process to click, level, and tighten the base. It also advises them when each installation step is completed correctly.
  • The second key feature is the easy-to-use belt tightening system that firmly fastens the base to the car, simplifying the installation process even further. The Prodigy takes the guesswork out of the installation process for parents and electronically ensures a proper fit every time. It also includes a test button parents can press at a recommended 30-day interval, to make sure the seat is still installed correctly.
  • The third key feature of the Prodigy is the SafeGuard™ 1Adjust™ harness system. This system allows the adult to easily adjust the harness straps with one hand - to quickly and correctly fit the straps to the child without rethreading. Regardless of a child's growth or seasonal clothing, the harness straps easily retract around baby for a perfect fit every ride.

In addition, the car seat accommodates infants 4 to 32 pounds and up to 32 inches in length and features a removable newborn body and head support to cradle baby.

Also available is the Prodigy™ travel system that includes the revolutionary car seat, as well as a stroller that can hold a child up to 50 pounds. The three-position handle makes steering easy and comfortable for both mom and dad. A five-point harness contours to baby’s body and a multi-position recline seat fully reclines for newborns. An oversized, storage basket holds baby necessities and a convenient parent organizer tray features two cup holders and a covered compartment. A fully-retractable canopy protects baby from sun exposure and the stroller offers a one-step rear brake that quickly and safely brings the stroller to a stop. Lastly, the stroller folds with one hand and is self-standing.

To help launch the new Prodigy Car Seat and Travel System, Summer Infant assembled a team of experts to assist in the development, such as Courtney Tanguay, who was hired to serve as Summer Infant's in-house Child Passenger Safety Advocate. Tanguay is solely focused on ensuring Summer Infant’s products in the car seat and travel system sector meet or exceed all child safety standards. Tanguay's experience comes from her work at Holtz Children's Hospital in Miami, Florida and, most recently, the Injury Prevention Center at Hasbro Children's Hospital in Providence, Rhode Island. She also coordinated the Injury Free Coalition for Kids of Providence, Safe Kids, and Kohl’s Cares Car Seat Check programs. Tanguay uses her expertise when working with the Summer Infant team to make certain the Prodigy Infant Car Seat and Travel System addresses all areas of safety concern.

Additionally, Summer Infant partnered with IMMI® who, for more than 30 years, has been working with child restraint manufacturers to provide innovative, easy-to-use LATCH attachment systems and harness systems that give parents the confidence that the child seat they’ve purchased meets the highest standards. SafeGuard™ CPS products are engineered to be easy to install and easy to use, addressing misuse by making child restraints more practical for parents.

Summer Infant is committed to providing parents with solutions to help them enjoy each and every moment of their new child's life and the company shares a common thread with their consumers in that they are parents who always put baby's safety first.

The Prodigy infant car seat and travel system includes a standalone car seat and base, the travel system, and a standalone stroller. All of which will be available for purchase at Babies"R"Us stores and online in January.

About Summer Infant, Inc.
Based in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, the Company is a designer, marketer and distributor of branded durable juvenile health, safety and wellness products (for ages 0-3 years), which are sold principally to large U.S. retailers. The Company currently sells proprietary products in a number of different categories, including nursery audio/video monitors, safety gates, durable bath products, bed rails, infant thermometers and related nursery, health and safety products, booster and potty seats, bedding, travel accessories, sleep positioners, SwaddleMe® and wearable blankets, nursery furniture, and baby gear including, highchairs, bouncers, bouncers, playards and swings.

About IMMI
IMMI, based in Westfield, Ind., is the largest child seating safety components manufacturer in the world and has been the industry leader in child and bus passenger protection for more than 30 years. Utilizing an on-site crash test laboratory, sophisticated engineering and advanced manufacturing operations, IMMI develops and supplies innovative, proven SafeGuard® branded child passenger safety products and seating solutions for customers worldwide.
All Website Content Copyright© 2001-2014, Car-Seat.Org, All Rights Reserved
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About Us

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Mae
CPS Technician

Mae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMae is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Re: Summer Infant Prodigy Press Release

Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
LISmama810
Admin - CPS Technician

LISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Geez, what'll people need techs for?
LISmama810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
rachelandtyke
Senior Community Member

rachelandtyke is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!rachelandtyke is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!rachelandtyke is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!rachelandtyke is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!rachelandtyke is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!rachelandtyke is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

Wow, interesting!
rachelandtyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
ketchupqueen
CPST and ketchup snob

ketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
To tell them that no matter how great their auto-retract harness system is, their child's "seasonal clothing" still shouldn't include puffy snow suits?
ketchupqueen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
glockchick
CPS Technician

glockchick is almost a CPS know-it-allglockchick is almost a CPS know-it-allglockchick is almost a CPS know-it-all

So basically they think they've come up with an idiot proof car seat?

They just don't make em like they used to.
glockchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Wiggles
Carseat Crazy

Wiggles is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorWiggles is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Call me cynical, but haven't most of the seats with electronic parts been recalled at some point? If I remember correctly, some of them were recalled for catching on fire... It SOUNDS marvelous, but I wonder how they've addressed the issues that have plagued seats with electronic components in the past. I'll be very interested to keep an eye on this seat to see what occurs as far as durability of the electronic components. I'd hate to see them malfunction or for there to be a way that they could accidentally be 'cheated' that would cause parents to mis-use them completely unintentionally. I mean, if we can't create an 'advanced' airbag system that can detect the difference between a child restraint leaning on the back of the seat and a person in the seat, then how can we trust the electronic components of this seat to properly do their job in every situation?

I guess I'm just worried about people depending on the seat to do the install for them, which could lead to an even HIGHER rate of misuse. Paved with good intentions, etc etc.
Wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
LISmama810
Admin - CPS Technician

LISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
To tell them that no matter how great their auto-retract harness system is, their child's "seasonal clothing" still shouldn't include puffy snow suits?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
Judi
CPST/Firefighter

Judi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Even with an idiot proof seat, people WILL find a way to misuse it. I must get ahold of one of these and put it to the test.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
ketchupqueen
CPST and ketchup snob

ketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Ooooh, I wonder what it says if you install it FF.
ketchupqueen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #11
Shanora
CPS Technician

Shanora is almost a CPS know-it-allShanora is almost a CPS know-it-allShanora is almost a CPS know-it-all

I love all Summer Products, so I can't wait to see an IRL review of this seat (Since I KNOW that Canada wont get it right aways....lol)

Samantha - CRST
~* Mom To Joshua -14 years, Seat belt *~
~* Liam - 7 years, 50 Pounds, Diono Monterey (no back) *~
~* Cordelia Grace - 4 years, 30lbs, FFin Graco My Ride/Frontier CT *~
Shanora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #12
shauburg
CPS Technician

shauburg is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorshauburg is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorshauburg is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Quote:
To tell people not to use the lower anchors in the center position when the vehicle and/or car seat do not permit it. I swear I see this in every 2nd vehicle I check!

Quote:
LOL! I can just see c-s.org members doing all kinds of things to this seat to try and "trick" the seat into saying it's been installed correctly when in fact it hasn't! Hmmm, if that happened, would that mean a recall?
shauburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:22 AM   #13
LISmama810
Admin - CPS Technician

Quote:
I don't know, but if it talks like the Lost in Space robot, I'm totally getting one. (Danger! Danger!)
Old 10-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #14
Sarah62008
CPS Technician

Sarah62008 is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist

Quote:
I don't know, but if it talks like the Lost in Space robot, I'm totally getting one. (Danger! Danger!)

I think I need have a baby to play with this seat when it comes out.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:47 AM   #15
CrunchyMaineMama
CPS Technician

CrunchyMaineMama is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorCrunchyMaineMama is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

You guys are seriously making me sit here and laugh at some of your comments. DD thinks I'm find Wonder Pets really amusing right now.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:30 AM   #16
jourdysmom
CPST Instructor

jourdysmom is almost a CPS know-it-alljourdysmom is almost a CPS know-it-alljourdysmom is almost a CPS know-it-alljourdysmom is almost a CPS know-it-all

Must.Visit.Woonsocket.

Must.play.with.seat.

Breaking and Entering Pixels??? It can be arranged...
jourdysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #17
robbinsroost
CPS Technician

robbinsroost has disabled reputation

I can't wait to see this seat. The Program Coordinator for Safe Kids RI left to work for Summer Infant at the begining of this year. I heard it is a nice seat, but it is going to be pricey.
robbinsroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:04 PM   #18
Kobain's Mommy
CPS Fanatic

Kobain's Mommy is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorKobain's Mommy is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbinsroost View Post
I can't wait to see this seat. The Program Coordinator for Safe Kids RI left to work for Summer Infant at the begining of this year. I heard it is a nice seat, but it is going to be pricey.
If it's expensive I can't really see people shelling out the money for the seat. Let's see $400 seat that will last me hopefully a year and tell me if I install it wrong, or a $100 seat that will last the same amount of time plus seeing a tech for free. I think I'd take the later of the two.

Kobain's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #19
LISmama810
Admin - CPS Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobain's Mommy View Post
If it's expensive I can't really see people shelling out the money for the seat. Let's see $400 seat that will last me hopefully a year and tell me if I install it wrong, or a $100 seat that will last the same amount of time plus seeing a tech for free. I think I'd take the later of the two.
Well, people pay $300 for a Peg Perego that neither talks nor installs correctly, so...
Thank You from:
Old 11-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #20
lil.miss32
Carseat Crazy

lil.miss32 is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist

Make it idiot proof and somebody will make a better idiot.
Missing baby Josef Rain (born sleeping 12.10.10)

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!