Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
Nopinkertons

Nopinkertons has disabled reputation
Mazda MPV captain's chair

My husband's car is a 2000 Mazda MPV, and we are about to put a Scenera rear-facing in it as a backup seat. The second row are captain's chairs without LATCHes, so we will have to install using the seat belt.

My question, though, has to do with the positioning of the captain's chair. The MPV allows for the chair on the passenger side to be slid into the center of the car next to the other chair. With our infant seat we did this, since we'd been told that a center install is superior to an outboard install.

As we've used it, though, I've found myself wondering if this is really the best thing, because moving the chair into the center forces the seat belt to stretch across the gap, making it difficult (though not impossible) to get a solid install on the seat. It also makes it very, very difficult to get into the third row of seats. Admittedly, we need the third row very infrequently, but after watching my mother-in-law nearly garrote herself on the seat belt stretched across the gap, I worried about what this does to the car seat install (never mind the MIL :-).

Should we install the Scenera outboard? And, while I'm at it, does anyone with an MPV want to warn me off a Scenera b/c of fit and recommend a different inexpensive backup seat?

Thanks!!

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
jujumum
Senior Community Member

jujumum is almost a CPS know-it-alljujumum is almost a CPS know-it-alljujumum is almost a CPS know-it-alljujumum is almost a CPS know-it-all
Re: Mazda MPV captain's chair

Several of us here have MPVs. I have a 2000 & a 2003, and my sitter has a 2002. I've never installed a Scenera in the vans (or in any vehicle) but I've heard from my sitter (who has one) and here that it is a difficult rearfacing install, and that noodles are very helpful. I have a rf MyRide in the 2000, outboard behind the driver, and needed to use a locking clip to get a solid/non-tilled install.

I haven't used the passenger side captains chair slid to the center for installs. I've tried with several seats, but as you said, it is nearly impossible for someone to use the 3rd row. You might be able to get a solid install, though, when slid to the center if you try a locking clip.

Sorry I can't be more of a help!

Lisa
DD2 - 8 yrs, 56" 52.5lb, Maui Blue FN85in booster mode/Sailor Affix, DS2 - 7 yrs, 49" 50 lb, Sapphire Performance Booster/Stargazer Affix
DD1 & DS1 safely using adult seat belts (17 yrs & 15 yrs)
jujumum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Cryssy Jane
CPS Technician

Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Cryssy Jane is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

I have a 2006 mpv and I personally would not slide the seat to the center for a seatbelt install. I'm trying to think of the logistics of that and in my head it doesn't work so well. How old is your child? I have a scenera behind the passenger seat in the captains chair, seatbelt install and it went in just dandy, I didn't have any tippy issues what so ever. The current child is an older toddler so I have the seat at roughly a 35-40 degree angle with 2 noodles. For a younger infant you'd probably have to add noodles to recline further. For our van, pops is not allowed to drive when the kids are in the car so he needs the passenger seat back a significant amount. I wouldn't be able to recline it any more without hitting the passenger seat which isn't allowed on my model because of the advanced airbags. I'm not sure if I have a picture, but I'll double check.

Crystal: CPST, DCP and BFF to:
Piper: 9 months, rf in a zebra blvd g3
Hunter: 1 year, 17lbs rf in a zebra blvd g3 Asiah: 2 years, 30lbs rf in a daytona rxt
Isabella: 2.5 years, 26lbs rf in a blvd CT Luis: 4 years, 50lbs FF in a FR90
Rocking out in a 2006 Subaru Impreza and a 2006 Toyota Sienna
Cryssy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
lukensophie
CPS Technician

lukensophie is a Car-Seat.org recognized contributor

I have a 2001 MPV, as well as a RFing Scenera in that car (DH drives that car). I, too, would not recommend sliding the seat over and then installing a car seat. I just checked my manual to see if Mazda has any restrictions, and while it doesn't, the manual does not give specific instructions on installing a car seat in that position.

We currently have the Scenera installed behind the driver's seat using a large pool noodle and locking clip. I personally feel more comfortable with this set up than I would wondering if the car seat should be installed in the center, while at the same time trying to get passengers to circumnavigate around the stretched seatbelt while not disturbing my install. Make sense?

I know "ideal" would be to have the child in the center. However, real-life application does not always work with "ideal." Making sure the seat is properly installed outboard is always safer than having a questionable install in the center.

lukensophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
Nopinkertons

Nopinkertons has disabled reputation

Thanks for your replies! Having the seat slid to the center wasn't making me comfortable, and so I am glad to see agreement on that. We'll switch to an outboard installation.

My son is 1 year old, so I think he does not need to have the deepest recline angle. Since it's a backup seat (we have a Marathon in the car our son rides in most often), and money's tight, we'd need a really compelling reason (such as, it just will not fit safely) not to go with the Scenera. Could I achieve the necessary angle with a towel?

Is a locking clip something that is sold separately? I can get the seat belt to lock by pulling it all the way out; does the locking clip achieve something else? Sorry for all the questions--our Marathon is installed with LATCH so I not very well versed in the ins and outs of a seat belt install.

Thanks again!
Nopinkertons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
Judi
CPST/Firefighter

Judi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

A locking clip came with your scenera. It locks the seat belt, when the seat belt doesn't lock. Sometimes it is used to help with a tricky install also.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
kattale

kattale has disabled reputation

I simply can't get a tight lock on my seatbelt installations, I can't force them to ratchet in any tighter to my satisfaction. The locking clip makes my installations a dream. I have even marked the seatbelt where the locking clip fits best, so that if I need to uninstall them, it is a quick re-installation.

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!