Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Carseat Chat

Notices

Carseat Chat Introductions and Miscellaneous Child Passenger Safety Topics and Chat. Discuss Ratings, Laws, News, Etc. No Off-topic Discussions!

Carseat Chat is sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

Old 10-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
mavmakmar

mavmakmar has disabled reputation
advice on these snowsuits please

Hi, I just wanted your professional opinion's on these snowsuits for my 2 month old son who rides in the britax chaperone. I know we shouldn't use anything bulking & I thought maybe these might be ok to use.

This 1st one I know would be ok, its a very thin fleece

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...d=1&pid=764069

Could I use the ones below?

This one is pretty thin (micro fleece)

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...d=1&pid=764117

& this one is shearling not to thick

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...scid=785695002

Would these be ok to use?

Thanks for your advice!

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
glockchick
CPS Technician

glockchick is almost a CPS know-it-allglockchick is almost a CPS know-it-allglockchick is almost a CPS know-it-all
Re: advice on these snowsuits please

Definitely not the last two. The first one I would have to feel to say.

Since he's in an infant seat, why not just cover him with blankets in the house and carry him out that way?

They just don't make em like they used to.
glockchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
mavmakmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannaLeah View Post
Definitely not the last two. The first one I would have to feel to say.

Since he's in an infant seat, why not just cover him with blankets in the house and carry him out that way?
Why not the white micro fleece one? I thought fleece was safe to wear.

My need for the snowsuit is getting him in & out of the seat to go into the school or stores. We dont usually use the seat to carry him around in we just use it for driving. Im in Michigan and we get some pretty bad weather and keeping him in his infant seat isnt always possible.

We currently are using a Kidopatumus Posh cover that goes over the seat
http://www.kiddopotamus.com/p_fsposh.php

but when I get him out of the seat to go into the stores or school it's cold he really needs to be wearing something
Old 10-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
cookie123
CPS Technician

cookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-allcookie123 is almost a CPS know-it-all

For a kiddo in an infant seat, just take a fleece receiving blanket, fold it in fours and tuck it in around the baby. Top it with a hat and a shower cap style car seat cover. This is what we did and Matthew always came out toasty warm.

I think those all look like more than just a thin fleece. If you want to try one, do so by putting infant in it in the seat, buckled in. THen, without changing the harness at all, take the baby out and take out the snow suit, then put him back in and if you have to tighten the harness at all, it's too bulky.
Matt- 6 - Pkwy/Monterey
Griffin - 1 - PVC/Size4Me/ProRide
cookie123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
glockchick
CPS Technician

glockchick is almost a CPS know-it-allglockchick is almost a CPS know-it-allglockchick is almost a CPS know-it-all

The white one is lined with sherpa. Sherpa is very thick.

You don't have to keep him in the seat when inside wherever, but when mine were little, I put them in the seat bundled up in the house, left them in it in the car (obviously), and then carried them into anywhere in it. I'd take them out while inside, but then I could put them back in the seat all bundled up before we went back outside again.

They just don't make em like they used to.
glockchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
bobandjess99
CPS Technician

bobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

The first one says it si fleece LINED, QUILTED COTTON..that's going to be really bulky....quilted cotton is by definition puffy. I say no to all 3. Those are big, bulky covers.

Since you have an infant bucket, just ccover with a blanket, as a pp said, or get a "shower cap" style cover that goes over the entire seat, but NOT behind the child, like this one
Amazon.com: Jolly Jumper Deluxe Sneak-A-Peek Infant Carseat / Carrier Cover Deluxe Black: BabyAmazon.com: Jolly Jumper Deluxe Sneak-A-Peek Infant Carseat / Carrier Cover Deluxe Black: Baby

I think you are underestimating the bulk of those items. If you can, go to a store which carries one of these items, with your carrier. put baby in one of the suit sin the store, then bukle him in the carrier. Then take him out, take the suit of, and put him back in the seat, and without tightening the straps, see exactly how loose they are. I think you'll be surprised.

Alex, 6 and Katie, 9
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
mavmakmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie123 View Post
For a kiddo in an infant seat, just take a fleece receiving blanket, fold it in fours and tuck it in around the baby. Top it with a hat and a shower cap style car seat cover. This is what we did and Matthew always came out toasty warm.

I think those all look like more than just a thin fleece. If you want to try one, do so by putting infant in it in the seat, buckled in. THen, without changing the harness at all, take the baby out and take out the snow suit, then put him back in and if you have to tighten the harness at all, it's too bulky.
I know that the 1st one looks a bit thicker but I was at Gap today & it really was very thin. I will try what you suggest at the store to see if they work

Is there any fleece suits that you can recommend?
Old 10-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
bobandjess99
CPS Technician

bobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavmakmar View Post
Why not the white micro fleece one? I thought fleece was safe to wear.

My need for the snowsuit is getting him in & out of the seat to go into the school or stores. We dont usually use the seat to carry him around in we just use it for driving. Im in Michigan and we get some pretty bad weather and keeping him in his infant seat isnt always possible.

We currently are using a Kidopatumus Posh cover that goes over the seat
http://www.kiddopotamus.com/p_fsposh.php

but when I get him out of the seat to go into the stores or school it's cold he really needs to be wearing something
I just read this update.
Okay, in that case, keep doing what you are doing, but you BRING the caot with you in the car, and after you take him out of his seat, you pop him into his coat.snowsuit, etc. When you return to the car, you take it off of him, and put him back into the carseat, buckle, then put blankets of the cover back over the seat.

You are NOT going to find ANY type of coat that will be BOTH thin enough to wear IN the carseat, and warm enough to be used by itself outside of the car. It isn't possible.

To answer your question.,. a THIN layer of fleece (or any material really, but thin fleece is warmer than thin other stuff) is fine,but - you are NOT looking at THIN layers of fleece...you are looking at big, giant bulky thick layers of material, which are not suitable for use inside the carseat.

We live by lake Michigan..we get dozens of feet of lake effect snow each year, freezing temps for months on end..i understand your situation.

Alex, 6 and Katie, 9
Old 10-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Evolily
Senior Community Member

Evolily is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Evolily is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Evolily is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Evolily is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Evolily is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Evolily is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

I believe this is the one usually suggested http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/61318?from=SR&feat=sr
Riding in booster mode GNs, Literiders, and RSTVs
Evolily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
mavmakmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLabyrinth View Post
I believe this is the one usually suggested http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/61318?from=SR&feat=sr
This is nice but only size are toddler sizes

Would this Nordic Fleece one from Hanna be OK to use while in the seat?

http://www.hannaandersson.com/style....F35942&from=BA
Old 10-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
BookMama
Moderator - CPS Technician

BookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org Leader

If you are taking baby out of the car seat and only going right into the store, school, or wherever, I'd use a microfleece jacket like this in the car, and then just throw a blanket on baby for the short walk. Baby won't freeze.

Anyway, I live in Michigan and that's what I do. In fact, this is my third baby and I don't think I've ever used a snowsuit in the car.
Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.
BookMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
bobandjess99
CPS Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavmakmar View Post
This is nice but only size are toddler sizes

]http]
uh...you see by the sizes where it says "toddler"...well..you see right next to it where it says "infants"?
Click on that, it takes you to the infants sizes
3-6, 6-12 or 12-18

Alex, 6 and Katie, 9
Old 10-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
mavmakmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
uh...you see by the sizes where it says "toddler"...well..you see right next to it where it says "infants"?
Click on that, it takes you to the infants sizes
3-6, 6-12 or 12-18

DUH LOL Thanks

What do you think about this one?

Would this Nordic Fleece one from Hanna be OK to use while in the seat?

http://www.hannaandersson.com/style....F35942&from=BA
Old 10-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
bobandjess99
CPS Technician

it looks single layer. I think it would be okay. also.....very cute..why did you have to show me that? lol! Must. Not. Shop.

Alex, 6 and Katie, 9
Old 10-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
mavmakmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
it looks single layer. I think it would be okay. also.....very cute..why did you have to show me that? lol! Must. Not. Shop.
LOL I know how you feel **I shouldn't be shopping right now either LOL

Its so cute and it is a single layer....Plus I am in LOVE with there hat & mitten sets LOL

http://www.hannaandersson.com/style....F36923&from=BA
Old 10-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
menfusse
Senior Community Member

menfusse is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authormenfusse is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

The Hanna Andersson one is fine. I used it and it never effected the strap tightness at all. I will also say though, from experience, the snow suites are kind of annoying if you are going to be in a store or somewhere for awhile. They get hot, and it's hard to get on and off easily. I did it, but it was a pain sometimes.

While you are on the Hanna site, check out the fleece Best Ever Baby Jacket. Same single layer fleece, and very warm. There are also super cute hats and mittens to match too. It's easier to take off, and for his legs, you can throw a blanket over them. Just wanted to throw that out there, since I hadn't thought about how annoying it would be to take a baby out of a snow suit and put them back in in a store, lol.
menfusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #17
mavmakmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by menfusse View Post
The Hanna Andersson one is fine. I used it and it never effected the strap tightness at all. I will also say though, from experience, the snow suites are kind of annoying if you are going to be in a store or somewhere for awhile. They get hot, and it's hard to get on and off easily. I did it, but it was a pain sometimes.

While you are on the Hanna site, check out the fleece Best Ever Baby Jacket. Same single layer fleece, and very warm. There are also super cute hats and mittens to match too. It's easier to take off, and for his legs, you can throw a blanket over them. Just wanted to throw that out there, since I hadn't thought about how annoying it would be to take a baby out of a snow suit and put them back in in a store, lol.
good idea I didnt even think about that side of it
I use the moby alot && I would have to take the suit off
Old 10-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #18
stayinhomewithmy6
CPS Technician

stayinhomewithmy6 is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorstayinhomewithmy6 is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

I agree that a fleece jacket with a hat would be better. Have you seen the car seat coat trick?
If you don't think it is warm enough with just a fleece jacket on, when you take DS out of the car, hold him up next to you and wrap a fleece blanket around him. I promise you that he will be warmer held close to you and all snuggled up than he would be in just a fleece snowsuit.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
ElaynesMom
Carseat Crazy

ElaynesMom is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist

We live in Ontario and for the past few years we have used the columbia fleece suits with the fold over feet and hands. The hood also has elastic all around so it stays on really well, and isn't too tight. My dd was super warm in these

http://www.columbia.com/Snowtop%E2%8...efault,pd.html
ElaynesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #20
mlohry
CPS Fanatic

mlohry is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

I have owned Columbia snowsuits and a Lands End fleece snowsuit for my babies and I loved them both and their was absolutely no issues with buckling them in tightly everytime and I live in MN and it is COLD here! I wish they would work for my boys now that they are older.

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!