Check Complete Air Install (Pic Overload)

illumini

Check (New installation) Complete Air Install (Pic Overload)

There has been much mashing of the teeth around here about a car seat. I think I finally purchased my last car seat for quite a while! :thumbsup: The ground is pretty level in these pictures. It is installed center with seat belt in a 2010 Nissan Versa.

Don't mind the grouchy son. He was none too pleased to be car seat installing in the hot Florida sun.

photo5-1.jpg

Front seat all the way back (Look at that room! My 6'5" DH will be quite happy.)
photo4-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

I tightened the harness a bit more after this photo but did not take anymore photos.
photo3.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

How old is your son? It's too upright for his age. And for rear-facing, the shoulder straps need to be at or below his shoulders.

Love me so cute n00b though. :love:

Pixels

I agree with it being too upright. Also, roller shades are projectiles. You can get cling-on ones without the roller, that aren't a problem.

Mae

He is almost 9 months old. How much older does he has to be until it can be upright?

You can install the seat as upright as 30 degrees, and that looks pretty close to 30. Whenever he falls asleep (or is just sitting in the seat), just make sure his head doesn't flop forward -- that is the only reason that you wouldn't be able to have it that upright. If his head flops forward, just reinstall the seat with a little more recline.

Also, try to even him out. He seems to be sitting in the seat crooked, so I can't really tell how close he is to the harness slot. Can you move it down one notch? Probably not, but figured I'd ask.

He's cute! :love:

illumini

I agree with it being too upright. Also, roller shades are projectiles. You can get cling-on ones without the roller, that aren't a problem.

I will remove that. He doesn't need it now being in center anymore. :love: One other reason I wanted center install.

Knowing his age though, do you think it is more than 30 degrees? I will go out with my iphone and check later.

illumini

Also, try to even him out. He seems to be sitting in the seat crooked, so I can't really tell how close he is to the harness slot. Can you move it down one notch? Probably not, but figured I'd ask.

He's cute! :love:

No I really wish I could move it down. I have a bucket seat from h*** (rear adjust P.O.C) that I need to get rid of. No one can get the harness right. I will go down and take some pictures of him in the harness. Does that padding have to be in? I checked the manual but did not see anything about it. He almost seems to fit better without it for some reason.

JerseyGirl'sMama

If you can't move the harness down, then maybe by putting him closer to 40 degrees will bring his shoulder even with that slot.

I would probably not put a 9 month old at a 30 degree angle, although you can. I have my 11 month old a 38 degrees.

illumini

Ok so I went out and reinstalled it. I tried a center install and it was able to recline a few degrees more. The harness was still above his shoulders. :( So I tried installing outboard with seatbelt. This is what it looked like:

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

It just made it worse :(
photo3-2.jpg

So I'm going to go return the seat today. I may just rebuy the MyRide I had before. I'm going to annoy the BRU's people and take 40 billion car seats out to play with. :eek: Thanks!

Mae

From a non-tech point of view and more from a parent point of view, if you've tried to recline it and it didn't fix anything, I'd leave it. Since he is on the bottom harness slot, if he "ramps up" in a crash, he has plenty of shell above his head to prevent injury. Now, if it was any other slot than the bottom, I wouldn't allow the harness to be above his shoulders (Rear facing, of course). But in this case? Meh, if I was his parent, I'd leave it. Of course, up to you, as always. If you want to return the Complete Air for the MyRide, go for it!

As for the recline? Again, it's up to you. There have been studies that show that more upright is more safe. You just don't want it more upright than 30 degrees. The only reason that you would want it more reclined is if he's uncomfortable, or his head flops forward. Like Judi said, head flop on a 9 month old will make him uncomfortable. Head flop on a newborn could be fatal.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think a 30 degree angle is fine for a 9 month old who can hold his head up while awake. And he looks pretty close to at that slot to me, I wouldn't be concerned at this point about that (for the reasons posted above.) If it was way above his shoulders I'd not be comfortable with it but in this case I'd get the best recline you can and leave it at that. I think he looks like he has great head control and at 9 months is not going to suffer with a 30-35 degree angle.

illumini

Thank you thank you thank you! I was already on my way BRU's to return it when some of you where advising me to try reinstalling and to keep it. I went anyway and tried every other car seat they had there. For one reason or another I found I did not like the other seats. I have decided that I am ok with the way this car seat fits him. It truly is not a large difference.

I haven't weighed Declan in quite a few months but he can't be more than 20 pounds and I guess that he is closer to 17 or 18 pounds. I'm under 5 foot so he takes after me. He does have wonderful head control; He has been crawling for almost 3 months now and is almost pulling up completely to a stand.:eek:

Anyways, I went and installed it yet again. Center. Seatbelt. With a rolled up towel.

photo2-3.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

Knowing what I know now I'm looking at a photo of Ds the day he was born, he didn't fit his Snugride then either. :confused:
2009-11-19at08-50-11.jpg

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you want to get it leaned back just a LITTLE more, try making sure you push way back at the back of the seat where his bottom goes and not at all down by where his feet go when you install. It looks like the seat is compressed more toward where the feet go; if you compress the seat more toward where the bottom goes it should recline a bit more. That should also help him fit better. If he still fits in the SnugRide, I'd probably wait for him to max that out before putting him in this one if possible, just to make sure you've done your due diligence to try to have him in a properly fitting car seat as much as possible. :)

illumini

Hopefully last install for a while! This is with a pool noodle. How is the angle on this one?
photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC