Really Struggling with True Fit Rear Facing

jrv4babies

Hello all,

I see there were 2 other threads started on this today, and have read them. But thought it would be cleaner to start a new thread.

Before I can even get to the problems I need to vent to say that I have read and researched, read and researched, and laid out the whole case to my husband and why I have been reading and researching and why to care particularly what seat you get vs. going down and buying the $50 one at the local store.

And now this.

Didn't this thing get 5 star ease of use ratings etc.

It is the biggest nightmare I have ever dealt with.

Actually, I have to say it is a pretty close tie with the Frontier I just purchased for my other child. Both are giving us trouble like we have never seen before and between our 2 vehicles, nanny's car, grandma, etc, we've had our share of seats pass through our hands.

I feel like I am never, never going to want to take these seats out of my car. Which makes me nervous and somewhat inclined to start over and buy different seats since it is not reasonable (I work and rely on the support of babysitters and grandparents etc, the seats are going to need to come in adn out).

In the midst of all this venting I should mention that I am 40 weeks pregnant. :)

Okay, vent over, down to business.

Just bought a True Fit Premiere for DS due ANYtime now. :)
We are using lap/shoulder belt for outboard install, RF without headrest at newborn recline.

I think the main problem is that we are going to need a noodle or towel to get a correct install. That I have not tackled before, and I will seek help from the tech at our local hospital who has been friendly and helpful in the past. The seat is just sliding all over the place.

In the meantime, I have to have the seat in at least half way decent because I am honestly expecting this little guy ANYtime now.

Here are the problems:

1) There is no way, and I mean no way, that the seatbelt is fitting into the lockoffs. My husband is a strong guy, does labor jobs for a living, and is completely putting everything he has into this and there is just no way.
My car does not have latch (2003 Volvo) and so using the seatbelt to install is a must. He has tried putting the whole belt into the lockoffs and tried putting just the lapbelt portion and leaving the shoulder portion out so that it is not so thick. That does not seem right to me as I think the lap/shoulder should both go through the lockoffs. The manual shows the same exact picture of a single lap belt going through the route for both the lap/shoulder belt install directions and the lap belt only directions, so that is no help.

Finally, because he absolutely could not get the lockoffs to close. We installed the seat belt through the rear facing belt path but did not use the lockoffs. I understand this is wrong and was discussed a bunch in the thread earlier today. But I just don't know what else to do at this point and honestly can't figure out why the lockoffs are mandatory anyway. We have the type of seatbelt that rachets to a tight lock anyway (doesn't stay loose until impact).

2) I have read in the other threads about some type of slits etc so that you don't have to pull the cover back to access the rf belt path, but I don't get this at all. It doesn't seem to be at all possible to access the rf belt path without unsnapping the front 4 snaps and side 2 snaps as directed in the manual. the part that we are completely irritated with is that once you get the belt installed, then how in the world would you possibly resnap the seat?
It is now tight against the car seat.

The whole thing seems stupid.

I really appreciate your help and advice and your willingness to overlook my cranky mood.

Thank you!!!!!
Jesyca

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
1) There is no way, and I mean no way, that the seatbelt is fitting into the lockoffs. My husband is a strong guy, does labor jobs for a living, and is completely putting everything he has into this and there is just no way.

They do. I put weight RIGHT ON the lockoff when I close it, and add choice words. The choice words are really important, and sometimes required. ;)

My car does not have latch (2003 Volvo) and so using the seatbelt to install is a must.

You sure on that? Either the year or the LATCH? It was required after September 1, 2002, I believe. I haven't got my LATCH manual with me. It's possible your 2003 was made before September 1, 2002, but I thought all MY 2003 cars had LATCH.

He has tried putting the whole belt into the lockoffs and tried putting just the lapbelt portion and leaving the shoulder portion out so that it is not so thick. That does not seem right to me as I think the lap/shoulder should both go through the lockoffs. The manual shows the same exact picture of a single lap belt going through the route for both the lap/shoulder belt install directions and the lap belt only directions, so that is no help.

You must do both the lap and shoulder belt. When there's only a lap belt you don't do the shoulder portion. :)

Finally, because he absolutely could not get the lockoffs to close. We installed the seat belt through the rear facing belt path but did not use the lockoffs. I understand this is wrong and was discussed a bunch in the thread earlier today. But I just don't know what else to do at this point and honestly can't figure out why the lockoffs are mandatory anyway. We have the type of seatbelt that rachets to a tight lock anyway (doesn't stay loose until impact).

Learning Curve requires them, so they must be used. Like I said above, weight directly on the lockoff, and choice words.

2) I have read in the other threads about some type of slits etc so that you don't have to pull the cover back to access the rf belt path, but I don't get this at all. It doesn't seem to be at all possible to access the rf belt path without unsnapping the front 4 snaps and side 2 snaps as directed in the manual. the part that we are completely irritated with is that once you get the belt installed, then how in the world would you possibly resnap the seat?
It is now tight against the car seat.

It's a pain. Sit looking at the seat. Put your hand at the crotch strap. Go directly to the left or the right (on top of the cover). Where the lockoffs are, there are holes in the cover so you can access them without pulling the cover back. I didn't realize they were there at first either.

Wendy

Keeanh

I'm 35 weeks pregnant with my 7th, so yeah, pretty big. I've uninstalled/installed our new TF at least 5 times in the last few weeks. It could be that you just have that seatbelt too tight before you're trying the lockoffs. I make mine as tight as I can get it pushing down with my hand or my knee. THEN I actually use my weight to get the tiny bit more slack to close the lockoffs. Also, you might have to adjust the angle at which you're pushing down so that the belt stays right in the middle of the lockoff. If you push down too much on the part where the baby's feet go, it can make the belt move too far to the edge of the lockoff.

ETA: My husband is pretty strong, and for that reason I DON'T involve him in fixing/installing anything until I am positive that great strength is the answer. I find more often than not that "reefing" (as he calls it) on things just breaks things. Take a good, close look, and make sure the seatbelt isn't jamming the hinge of the lockoff.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Like Wendy said, all vehicles made after 9/2002 had to have LATCH (lower anchors and tethers for children) installed and top tethers were installed in vehicles before then. Lower anchors were phased in beginning in 2001 so it's possible that some MY 2001 vehicles have them as well. But you'd still have to use the lockoffs ;).

And like Keeanh said, if the seatbelt isn't exactly centered in the lockoff, good luck getting it closed. I had problems in my vehicles when I was trying the seat out because of the angle my seatbelt hit the belt path--the seatbelt didn't want to lay flat in the lockoffs. So, just use your choice words and adjust the seat forwards or backwards slightly to get the lockoffs lined up with the seatbelt. I suggest adding ibuprofen afterwards ;).

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I had trouble installing my TF at a 45* angle with the seatbelt, too, so I put it in a seating position with LATCH. If your car truly is a 2003 MY, you do have LATCH, so try that.

jess71903

Ambassador
Yeah, at 45*, the belt path is nearly vertical, so doing a seatbelt install is difficult, although not impossible. To get a newborn recline, you most certainly need either a noodle or rolled towel, so make sure you're using something.

I agree with the others about not getting it super-duper tight before closing the lock-off. The lock-offs remove the last bit of slack from the belt, but if it's super-taught, it is difficult/impossible to close.

I'm going to go take a pic of the flaps. So many people have asked about that lately.

ETA: Here you go
CIMG1881.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC