Question using LATCH with Graco Nautilus in HBB mode: weight limit?

U

Unregistered

I have already found your thread explaining that Graco announced that you can use LATCH to secure the Graco Nautilus to the seat in HBB mode. My question is, what if any weight limit did they specify? I just got a new Toyota Sienna and I am trying to determine between the vehicle and the seat whether there are any weight limits I should be aware of. Have two of these seats and will be using them in the captains chairs.

Thanks!
Jennifer

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
While Graco specifies a LATCH installation weight limit of 48 lbs. when the Nautilus is used in harnessed mode, Graco hasn't specified a weight limit for LATCHing the Nauti in booster mode other than the Nauti's overall booster mode weight limit. Toyota defers to the carseat manufacturer regarding LATCH installation weight limits so there's no conflict there between the vehicle manufacturer and Graco. :thumbsup: Technically a LATCHable booster can be used up to the booster's weight limit when LATCHed in any vehicle because the vehicle seatbelt functions as the restraint system in booster mode while using LATCH is primarily intended to keep the booster in place in the car when its unoccupied.

U

Unregistered

Thanks Jean. Unfortunately the more I poke around on this forum, I see that Graco reversed its decision on the issue of latching the Nautilus in HBB mode? My manual says not to do it, so I guess I am one of the unlucky ones. I feel sort of uneasy doing it, considering they reversed on it. (Even though this car is exponentially more safe than my old 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I just got rid of... still want to do the safest thing.)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I might as well just keep them harnessed for now. I was hoping to make my life super easy, push button for van doors, they get themselves in and out... oh well, it was a nice dream! Someday...

Thanks again for the help,
Jennifer

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They reversed it again, it's fine to use LATCH in booster mode.

However, Piper found it MUCH easier to do up her harness than a booster. They can see what they're doing with a harness. A booster has the belt tucked around the corner and out of sight.

How old and heavy are they?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks. I just called Graco and they told me the limit would be 48 pounds unless the car manufacturer states otherwise. My Toyota manual says follow seat manufacturer's recs.

My kids are both well under the 65 pound limit for the harness (5yo DD is 40 pounds, 4yo DS is 34) but older DD is reaching the top of the shoulder harness even though she is not 57 inches tall. I guess I will just keep them harnessed for a while. They both have trouble undoing the crotch straps... that button requires a strong thumb! DD can do all of the buckles herself, but DS can't do or undo so requires help.

I'm sure they'll get it one of these days though. One good thing about the captain's chairs is that the seat belt is easily reached around the Nautilus for when we do convert to HBB.

Thanks again for the help! Have gotten so much good advice here in my almost 6 years as a mom!

Jennifer

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That's 48 pounds as a harnessed seat, not a booster. Think of it this way. If they allow the connectors to hold 48 pounds of child plus the carseat, surely they'd be fine with it just holding the carseat in when the seatbelt will catch the weight of the child in booster mode.

Your older daughter hasn't got too much more room if she's nearing the top slot. Overall height doesn't matter (do they list 57"? That's 4'9", which is about when kids will start fitting without a booster at all. I'm only 61" tall).

Wendy

U

Unregistered

OOPS no, that was 52" not 57", as stated in the Nautilus manual. But yes, she has always been long in the torso, so being almost at the top slot is a factor.

I get what you are saying, and to me it makes sense that you should be able to latch a high-back booster if it has latch available. Think I will do that once I convert her. I'm just so glad I have a van with latch, side curtain airbags, and the whole gamut now... I feel like we are so much safer, I should have traded my old clunker in YEARS ago. I just thank my lucky stars we never crashed in that thing.

Thanks again.
Jennifer

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC