Is this car seat too damaged to use?

One of my daycare kids (age 1) flew with her Mom this weekend and had to gatecheck the car seat for the last flight. As they landed in our town of 150,000, the airline said that even gate checked items would be coming through baggage claim, so to pick them up there. So Mom goes to get the stuff and the car seat came through on the side, with the top part AND the bottom part of the cover pulled up/off, and all the EPS foam cracked/breaking off. It is a late 2005 Comfortsport. They are hoping the airline will re-imburse them for it, but if they don't, and the family buys new EPS foam, could the use it in their second car (rarely used - like once every 2 weeks for 2.5 miles).
It was the first trip they used the seat for - she still fits in her Graco Snugride (at 15 months!). So even though it's not anyone's favorite seat, it's still a bummer it got a bit wrecked.:(

Last edited:
ADS

nurse_reedle

The foam in our ComfortSport cracked on the side near the head area. We contacted Graco about it, and they sent us a replacement foam free of charge! The new one was a little different than the old one because it did not wrap around the front of the shell as much (This is why it cracked in the first place, from putting our son in and out, rubbing against the foam).

broken4u05

I have the same problems with ours. They haven't broken yet but every time i put them in the seats it feels like they will. The foam is really far over the shell. But now i have a BV and tonight i am getting a MA so i do not have to worry about it any more

jn__

I once sat in a plane watching airline workers throw strollers and car seats out of the plane right to the ground where another worker was throwing it onto a cart. So no, I would never check a car seat and I would never use one like you describe. (And I'd never check a stroller I cared about, but that is neither here nor there LOL)

nurse_reedle

So, even if you owned the seat from day one, and the foam is what is broken, and you get a replacement foam from the manufacturer with replacement mushroom clips to hold it in, you would still buy a new seat? Even with a DOM of 2005?

scatterbunny

It is possible for the carseat to sustain unseen damage, especially the way they are handled by airline staff. There's no way to know for sure if the foam is truly the only part damaged.

If the situation were different and the parent KNEW what treatment the seat was subjected to at all times and knew that the foam was, indeed, the only part damaged, it would be different and I'd just order new foam.

One more reason to ALWAYS buy a seat for a child on a plane so they can use their seat.

skaterbabs

If you were in a crash, would you consider using a seat with "just" broken foam? Of course not! The same applies here.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC