3 boosters in 2010 Corolla S? (posted by Melissa)

U

Unregistered

Hi, we have a 2010 Corolla S and are trying to get 3 boosters safely across. Oldest son is 7yrs and weighs in at 58# and is 58" next son is 5yrs and 48#, 48" youngest is 5yrs and 40# and 45". I can't seem to find any that will allow the booster seats to sit straight - they are all too wide. Thanks!!

ADS

mish

What seats have you tried? When you say the seats don't sit straight what exactly do you mean?

Your two youngest could certainly still be harnessed if you want them to be. Radians are very narrow seats that might work for you. Have you tried the Britax Parkway? I think it is pretty narrow.

Is this the only car you have available to transport your children? I think this might be kind of tough.

U

Unregistered

Wow! Thanks for such a quick response! So I have tried the cosco hi rise, the evenflo bigkid amp and the harmony (i think that is what its called). the evenflo was the best fit but the problem seems to be with the armrests sticking out and then being too close together. this causes the seats to fan out so the middle boy is the only one facing forward directly...the two boys at the window seats are "fanned" so that they instead of facing straight forward, seem to point somewhat toward the middle of the car (i hope this is making sense!) this doesn't seem too safe, right? This is not our primary car, but if my husband ever needs to pick all of them we have a problem...
i heard about a vest that can be used in place of a carseat. what are your thoughts on that?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The vests could be a good choice, especially for the smaller two (don't know if the oldest one would like it much.)

You could also get narrower boosters-- there are much narrower ones on the market than the one you tried. I'd maybe do one vest for the kid in the middle, and two narrower high-backs for SIP for the two outboard. :twocents:

U

Unregistered

You mentioned that there are narrower boosters...which ones would you suggest?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, first, depends where you need the narrow. The Parkway Slide Guard is very narrow all the way up, and the TurboBooster is a pretty close second. But, the Monterey is narrowest high-back I know of at the back/bottom (which makes it easier to buckle sometimes.) I might do one vest in the middle and two PWSGs or Turbos outboard (Turbos are cheap, too...) or you could maybe try a Monterey backless (in fact I think they're coming out with a version without the back) in the middle with two other boosters on the side, or even two Montereys and a vest in the middle for ease of buckling all of them... Mainly, I recommend going to a store that has a big selection of boosters, if you can, and trying different combinations in your car. But as a Corolla owner I think you do have a better shot with one vest in the mix and any two boosters than with three boosters, although I think with the right combination it could be done (especially if one was used backless.)

lovinwaves

Two Radians with harnesses for the 5 year olds in the outboard positions, and a Sunshine Kid's Monterey in the middle.

Sort of like this:

25178_410438054413_612249413_5134129_8166151_n.jpg

Or this: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=122268

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
(Of course, that would be much more expensive than one vest and two TurboBoosters. ;) I think if it was a more frequent riding solution that would be what I would recommend though, if it fit-- it might or might not.)

But as a Corolla owner I think you do have a better shot with one vest in the mix and any two boosters than with three boosters, although I think with the right combination it could be done (especially if one was used backless.)
:yeahthat:
As an owner of a 1997 Civic, I can say that one vest in the center will make buckling the boosters a LOT easier:
DSCF1421.jpg

(note - this photo was taken the day I got the vest, in real life usage we make sure the lap portion of the belt is sitting lower:))

And here's how it looks in a 2002 Ford Focus (DH's company car)
DSCF3214.jpg

For comparison - here are 2 Parkways and a backless AirBooster in the same back seat - gives you an idea of how the vest would make buckling easier
DSCF3213.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC