Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
calihannah
Carseat Crazy

calihannah is a Car-Seat.org recognized contributor
How close to the RF limit do you turn to FF?

Summer clothes, lightweight shoes included, DD is now weighing in at 34lbs most mornings. She's 3y 1.5mo -- when do I just bite the bullet and turn her TrueFit around to FF?

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
NannyMom
CPS Technician

NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!
Re: How close to the RF limit do you turn to FF?

Have you weighed her later in the day? I know Sofi can be a tad more later. And she is also more or less on different days. Knowing that, I'd turn Sofi if she was 34 pounds in a 35RF seat. Or.... buy another 40RF seat
Old 05-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
calihannah
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannyMom View Post
Have you weighed her later in the day? I know Sofi can be a tad more later. And she is also more or less on different days. Knowing that, I'd turn Sofi if she was 34 pounds in a 35RF seat. Or.... buy another 40RF seat
I did! I bought a MR65 but once I installed it, there was NO way to have a tall adult (me) sit in front of her in the passenger seat. I am soooo sad. Have to take the MR back today.
calihannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
NannyMom
CPS Technician

NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Did you try the CA? It can install more upright than the MR.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
calihannah
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Did you try the CA? It can install more upright than the MR.
Yep, I tried the CA a few months ago, but I couldn't get a good install. Thanks for reminding me -- I'll try it again! I'll try anything if I can keep her RF longer...
Old 05-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
mish
CPS Technician

mish IS a CPS Know-It-All!mish IS a CPS Know-It-All!mish IS a CPS Know-It-All!mish IS a CPS Know-It-All!mish IS a CPS Know-It-All!mish IS a CPS Know-It-All!mish IS a CPS Know-It-All!

At 3 years old that close to the weight limit I would turn her around and not worry a bit. If you really want to keep her RF though, go ahead and buy a new seat.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
jjordan
Moderator - CPS Technician

jjordan IS a CPS Know-It-All!jjordan IS a CPS Know-It-All!jjordan IS a CPS Know-It-All!jjordan IS a CPS Know-It-All!jjordan IS a CPS Know-It-All!jjordan IS a CPS Know-It-All!jjordan IS a CPS Know-It-All!jjordan IS a CPS Know-It-All!

I assume you also tried your Radian in the other car?

I turned dd's seat around at 3 yrs 4 months because she weighed 35# one day, on our scale that is known to weigh a little heavy. Then her growth totally stalled out and she didn't weigh in at 35# again until 5 months later. That made me wish I had not turned her so quickly! So, in your shoes, I would probably continue to weigh her (at different times during the day) and keep her RF for now. Whenever the new Britax convertibles come out, it looks like they'll have 40# RF limits so you may have more options to try.
jjordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
calihannah
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
I assume you also tried your Radian in the other car?
Yep, tried the Radian RF, but it's never going to fit -- the car in question is a BMW 3-series with a really horrible install for the Radian in the center.

Good to know about the Britax, though since they've got those big bases, they may or may not fit.

Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
NannyMom
CPS Technician

Does the EFTA fit? Evenflo has 2 seats coming this summer. Same size as the EFTA, but RF to 40.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
Mommy0608
CPS Technician

Mommy0608 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Mommy0608 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Mommy0608 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Mommy0608 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Mommy0608 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Mommy0608 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Mommy0608 IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Evenflo is coming out with some new 40lb RF seats too.

To answer your question though, I turned my DD at 3 years 5(ish) months. She was 34.5lbs fully clothed. However, she's lost a few pounds now, but she's still FF in her Frontier. It took me a while to get comfortable with the switch, but I know she's safe in her properly used seat.
Both riding in Frontier 85s
Mommy0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
Patriot201
Car-Seat.org Ambassador

Patriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderPatriot201 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I'd turn her now. At that age and that close to the weight limit, I wouldn't worry a bit about her being FF. I certainly wouldn't buy another seat to keep her RF.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
Learning to cope with the unexpected...
Patriot201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #12
calihannah
Carseat Crazy

Quote:
Does the EFTA fit? Evenflo has 2 seats coming this summer. Same size as the EFTA, but RF to 40.
Haven't tried it because I traditionally hate the EFTA, but that's a nice idea...if I get to BRU to try the CA, I'll try the EFTA too...

But otherwise, thanks for making me feel better about turning her, everyone!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
calihannah
Carseat Crazy

Just wanted to post an update for anyone who might come across this thread in the future...

I've been meaning to post a conclusion to my car seat angst discussions from May.

I just couldn't get over my issues with turning DD forward-facing without turning over every stone and trying every possible seat that might keep her RFing at least until the new baby comes this fall if not longer (she might have to turn due to which seating position she'll be in once we put in an infant seat). Anyhow, I tried and failed with the Graco MyRide and the Safety 1st Complete Air, and I was literally on the verge of turning her (33-34lbs on the scale depending on the time of day).

But then I discovered that Safety 1st had put out an "LX" edition of the Complete Air, the major difference being that it sits on a small base that helps with the recline angle. I decided to give it one more try, and VOILA! It fit in the car!!!!

So here's DD sitting in her new Complete Air in our teeny tiny back seat It's not as cushy as the True Fit, but it fits the bill! She's been in it for ~3 weeks now, and I'm much relieved. I think we'll still travel with the TrueFit (it's much much easier to install in unknown rental cars etc), which means she'll be FF when we are on vacation (bizarre...won't happen until August though), but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Last edited by calihannah; 06-27-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: fixing comfort/complete confusion!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
monstah
CPS Fanatic

monstah IS a CPS Know-It-All!monstah IS a CPS Know-It-All!monstah IS a CPS Know-It-All!monstah IS a CPS Know-It-All!monstah IS a CPS Know-It-All!monstah IS a CPS Know-It-All!monstah IS a CPS Know-It-All!

That's what I call committed.

Just a side note, you might want to buckle the seat belt and lock it before installing the CA. It could be dangerous if your DD grabs the seat belt with her foot, engages the lock and wraps it behind her head, etc. Such an easy and silent danger.
monstah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #15
ketchupqueen
CPST and ketchup snob

ketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

On the other hand, I've always taught my 3 year olds already to NEVER play with the seatbelt, so it may not be an issue for you, depending on her personality.

Good job finding the perfect seat! By the by, it's the "Complete" Air, not "Comfort."

Food allergies or restrictions? There's a support group for that.
ketchupqueen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
erin327

erin327 has disabled reputation

Thanks for posting the update. I am in this same situation. My daughter is 37 months and weighs 33 pounds. She is rear facing in a True Fit. We have been struggling with how long to push this seat. Who knows when she will hit 34 or 35 pounds. It is always nice to see how someone else handles the same situation.

daughter - 38 months, 34.5 pounds, 37", rf in a Radian XT
daughter - 1 month old, 10ish pounds, 21 inches, rf in Graco Snugride
erin327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
NannyMom
CPS Technician

Now I'm curious.... Why does the Complete Air with a base work better than w/o? Is it because you couldn't find "the sweet spot" of just the perfect angle?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #18
calihannah
Carseat Crazy

Thanks for the tip about the seatbelt -- we have the "don't touch it" rule in our cars and that seems to work well

I fixed the Comfort --> Complete naming issue. That always trips me up!

And yes, I think the base did two things -- helped to find the sweet spot in the installation but also made it more stable. The LATCH connectors were sort of under the seat when installing the standard model, and I couldn't get it tight no matter how much I pulled through the unfastened cover etc. The base seems to have eliminated that particular issue.

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!