Opinions needed: Are my kids done with seats?

courtfrog2

Stats:
H- 10y/o, 54.5 inches, 69lbs (She's been riding in a Monterey and does fit fine in that)

DSCI0324.jpg

E- 9y/o, approx 52.5 inches, 73lbs (She too has been in a Monterey)

DSCI0326.jpg

DSCI0327.jpg

So, do you think my kids carseat days are over????? :crying::crying:

ADS

scatterbunny

Hmm, well, I think the shoulderbelt fit is fine on both, but I think the lapbelt fit could be better (especially on the 9yo), it doesn't look to me like their knees bend perfectly at the edge of the seat (more like they are forcing it), and the 9yo's feet don't look flat on the floor (no photo of the 10yo's feet).

courtfrog2

Thanks! That makes me feel better. Because I.. ummm... like carseats :p

I'll have to see how they look in the back seat. I know the 10 year olds feet touched flat on the floor in the back seat, but didn't try E there.

Either way, they have their Montereys.

Maedze

The 10 year old is getting close, but no cigar. The nine year old is no where near. The lap belt fit is square across her belly...abysmal.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Hmm, well, I think the shoulderbelt fit is fine on both, but I think the lapbelt fit could be better (especially on the 9yo), it doesn't look to me like their knees bend perfectly at the edge of the seat (more like they are forcing it), and the 9yo's feet don't look flat on the floor (no photo of the 10yo's feet).

I agree with Jenny - good shoulder fit, but they both look like you just said "OK, now sit up straight and push your bottom all the way back!" ;) I'd keep them in the boosters for a while yet, at least in that seat.

amyd

Maybe it's just the angle, but it looks to me like the 10 yo has the shoulder belt against her neck, not on her shoulder. If it actually is like that, I would be keeping her in a booster. And I agree that the lapbelt is too high on the 9 yo.

scatterbunny

The shoulder portion does look a tad high on the 10yo, that's true...but not terribly high, IMO...and I'd rather have the shoulder belt a tad high than a tad too low, personally.

seamonkeys

Jenny, is the feet being flat on the ground a key part of fitting? If so, why isn't it part of the 5-step test? Just curious. Want to make sure I know the right info, since now DS1 is in kinder and going on field trips with kids who aren't riding in anything. :rolleyes:

scatterbunny

Jenny, is the feet being flat on the ground a key part of fitting? If so, why isn't it part of the 5-step test? Just curious. Want to make sure I know the right info, since now DS1 is in kinder and going on field trips with kids who aren't riding in anything. :rolleyes:

I was taught that it was an important factor, since a child will naturally tend to slide forward in a vehicle seat so the feet do touch the floor. This happens quite often when the knees don't bend properly at the edge of the seat; the child needs to slide the backside forward a bit so the knees bend properly and/or the feet touch the floor. This will cause the lap belt to ride up too high, and could increase the risk of submarining in a crash.

If the child isn't comfortable, they will be wiggly. If knees don't bend at the edge of the seat with the backside slid all the way back, and if the feet don't touch the floor, it is highly likely that a once-properly-fitting seatbelt will become an improperly fitting seatbelt at some point in the car ride.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I was taught that it was an important factor, since a child will naturally tend to slide forward in a vehicle seat so the feet do touch the floor. This happens quite often when the knees don't bend properly at the edge of the seat; the child needs to slide the backside forward a bit so the knees bend properly and/or the feet touch the floor. This will cause the lap belt to ride up too high, and could increase the risk of submarining in a crash.

If the child isn't comfortable, they will be wiggly. If knees don't bend at the edge of the seat with the backside slid all the way back, and if the feet don't touch the floor, it is highly likely that a once-properly-fitting seatbelt will become an improperly fitting seatbelt at some point in the car ride.

This is me. My popliteal length is under the 5th% for a female, and so my knees NEVER reach the end of a chair. As a result, I usually sit sort of sideways and pull up a leg into a cross leg posture, which isn't optimal for safey, but way more cofortable.

courtfrog2

You gals are great! I totally agree and those two little goofballs are going to be back in their Monterey's. I told them April Fools ;) so they are fine with it.

They will be going on a trip to Chicago with me in a few minutes and in the back they fit okay... but I am going to put them in no backs for safe measure ;). The montereys are WAY too tall back there LOL. Must have a low ceiling there.

It's nice to validate my thoughts that even though they are way over the limit age wise, they still require boosters. They are fine with it, it's just hard to explain to their friends who have been riding in front seats for years :mad:

Oh... and the funny thing is that the 10 year old still fits in that pink radianXT even in the shoulders. :p

swtgi1982

They will be going on a trip to Chicago with me in a few minutes and in the back they fit okay... but I am going to put them in no backs for safe measure ;). The montereys are WAY too tall back there LOL. Must have a low ceiling there.

to tall, well yeah the ceilings in those van curve downward to soon I feel. When I ride back there in mine, my head actually when sitting upright actually hits the ceiling so I know what you mean.

AS far as belt fit on the ten yr old for shoulder belt in the photos, do your belts adjust up and down like mine? maybe a notch down would make it fit better and not on the neck. I know mine do in all rear positions, but I also know some models it is only in the front seat

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I use Germany and I think other northern EU countries as an example, they are much more realistic in terms of belt fit and skeletal development than we are... age 12 or 4 foot 11. 59 inches. And my 62 inch 12 year old still has the belt ride up on his belly too much for my liking in some large captain's chairs :eek:
The 4-9 is based on fit in much older cars, not really applicable to larger captain's chairs that were invented since then, but probably fine for smaller sedans and stuff... but age and skeletal development is important, too, so I'd want kids to be older in general, when feasible (like my 4-9, 80lb 10 yo, she CAN'T ride in a booster in DH's car, it pushes the shoulderbelt off the side of her arm :( ). Not to mention great side impact protection from a highback, they prevent head injuries nicely :whistle:

Yeah, I read the feet flat on the floor tip from the Wisconsin (or South Dakota?) Safe Kids site years ago, and it's true, when you put kids in the car with legs dangling, they immediately slip out of position and can't pass the fifth step...and it makes it *really* easy to see if kids fit in the car in the blink of an eye, too :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC