Convertibles for RAV4

JLYGirl

From reading the other post, I understand that there's no "best car seat" for everyone. However, I'm having trouble figuring out what would be good choices for our situation, and I'm wondering if I could pick your "more knowledgeable minds"

We're looking to move our 9 month old twins out of their infant carriers soon, and would like to start shopping for a convertible car seat. Here are some factors that we were considering (but couldn't figure out how to translate them into car seat choices):

- we drive a 2009 RAV4 (we only have 1 car, so we won't need to move the seats)
- space - the seats will have to go behind the driver and passenger seats and DH is pretty tall, so having a very bulky seat may not work (we currently have Snugride32's, and our seats are already moved pretty forward)
- we'd like to keep them rearfacing as long as possible, but the weight limit may not be a factor, as our babies are taller than they are heavy, so they'll probably outgrow the height restriction before the weight limit)
- ease of use (these two can be handful, so something easy to get them in and out of, but at the same time keep them safe)
- independence when they get older - a family friend recommended that we get something that they can get in and out of themselves, when they get older. Right now, it doesn't seem like a good idea, as they're so young and I wouldn't want them to unbuckle themselves, but he swears that this will change as they get older and that I'd want something that they can do easily themselves. What do you think?
- cost - preferable something under $250, but then again, we know that we can put a price of safety

We were looking at the Britax Marathon, but after reading some of the other posts, there might be other options out there. Thanks for reading, and any advice you can give!

ADS

Maedze

The Rav 4 is a tight back seat. In your shoes, I'd pick the Safety First Complete Air, which rear faces to 40 pounds, has the tallest shell of any convertible, AND can be installed so very upright that it fits in pretty much any car :)

Vanessa23

The Rav 4 is a tight back seat. In your shoes, I'd pick the Safety First Complete Air, which rear faces to 40 pounds, has the tallest shell of any convertible, AND can be installed so very upright that it fits in pretty much any car :)

Tight?? We have a 2008 Rav4 and the backseat is huge. We could easily fit 2 larger adults + carseat in there. I think the older Rav4's were smaller but the new ones have quite a lot of room in back.

We also have a July 2009 baby :) and he's in a Marathon rear-facing. I love it for ease of installation and use and bought it for my older child to use up to booster age but I found once he was about 2 (and I was pregnant again) that I no longer loved it because it was hard for him to crawl in and out of - with twins I can see this being a big issue because you'll need them to be a bit more independent. We have also have had a Radian RFing no problem and I like it for the lower sides - I don't love the harness as much but the straps don't twist like some other seats. We have an older one so the new ones may be very different. It's a little harder to install but if you're not moving it around it shouldn't be that much of an issue. I would definitely try your kids in the seats, see how they fit, how easy they are to fasten and if possible, install. I bought a Nautilus based on everyone here raving about them and I hate it. Considering how long you'll be using it for, you want something that's not going to drive you crazy everytime you strap them in. Also - in terms on the Radian because they are so low, the kids will actually be able to reach the cup holder in the centre console - this will be huge once they start drinking in the car. Simon was never able to access his cup from the Marathon:)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Agreed--newer RAV4 is just fine for seats. Older RAV4, just like older CR-V--nightmare. Plenty of room in the newer ones.

-Nicole.

marjen

I have a 2008 RAV4, and I've installed a Britax Marathon and Boulevard with no problems. I do have to use a rolled-up towel, but seat installation has been easy. I don't forsee you having any problems installing seats.

mommycat

I have a 2008 RAV4, and currently I have a Recaro Signo G2 installed RF outboard behind the driver. That seat is sometimes not recommended because of the lack of leg room for older rearfacers, and the fact that it sits up high on a base. But I've been really happy with it. My DD is 19 months and still fits okay. I like that it doesn't take up a crazy amount of room rearfacing.

I've also installed a Britax Marathon and Boulevard with no problems. I do have to use a rolled-up towel for all of the seats I've mentioned, but seat installation has been easy.
Canadian forum, so no Signo. ;)

Twinklefae

I wouldn't buy Britax if you want to stay rear facing for as long as possible - all but the Avocate have a 30lbs rf limit in Canada.

I love my True Fit, which has a 35 lbs rf limit and a REALLY tall shell. I find it really easy to install, both rf'ing and ff'ing.

I've never installed a Complete Air, but I've heard good things about them. There's also the Graco MyRide, which is a great seat for rear facing but can be very reclined while ff'ing. Both of these seats have a 40lbs rear facing limit.

amyd

I wouldn't buy Britax if you want to stay rear facing for as long as possible - all but the Avocate have a 30lbs rf limit in Canada.

I love my True Fit, which has a 35 lbs rf limit and a REALLY tall shell. I find it really easy to install, both rf'ing and ff'ing.

I've never installed a Complete Air, but I've heard good things about them. There's also the Graco MyRide, which is a great seat for rear facing but can be very reclined while ff'ing. Both of these seats have a 40lbs rear facing limit.

I agree with either the True Fit or the Complete Air. Oh, and I wouldn't recommend a Britax either, but just wanted to mention that the Roundabout 50 also has a 35lbs RFing limit in Canada, not just the Advocate.

sparkyd

You've received some good info so far. Here are my thoughts on your specific questions.

Space - depending on how tall your DH is, you'll really want to not only try putting seats in your vehicle, but make sure his seat is adjusted they way he needs it to drive. When we bought our latest vehicle, I was shocked at how many of them (even small minivans) did not fit a RF True Fit (a good choice for small spaces) behind my 6'3" DH. Having said that, if you are fine with the Snugride32 back there, you should be fine with several different convertibles.

Height - The MyRide has a shorter shell than some of the other recommended seats (True Fit, Complete Air, Radian), so if that is a big concern I'd skip that one. The Radian is the biggest space hog (back to front) of those three so check it behind DH if you want to go that route.

Ease of Use - The True Fit is a great seat BUT the harness adjuster gets buried in some seat backs making it tough to adjust. BUT, there are ways around that and once you know the tricks (which we can help you with) it is actually easy to use because you don't need to loosen and tighten the harness every time you use it. This isn't an issue in some vehicles and I think the RAV4 might be one of them, but I'm not sure. I have no experience with the Complete Air, so can't comment. I've never heard people complain (much) about the Radian (except for actually getting it installed, but I'm talking here about getting kids in and out efficiently), but ours is actually difficult to adjust in much the same way as the True Fit. The harness adjuster isn't hard to access like the True Fit, but the seat is in so tight that the harness doesn't move easily and I need to pull on it from the back to both tighten and loosen.

Independence - Yes, with twins it would be good to have seats that they can climb in and out of themselves, but NO, I would not want my kids buckling and unbuckling themselves. Maybe when they are much older (like 5 or 6), but I'm not even sure about that. They have to be mature enough to know that they shouldn't unbuckle until you have arrived at your destination. I know I don't trust my almost 3-year old to have that judgment.

Cost - In the under $250 range, if you exclude the MyRide, that leaves the True Fit. There are other seats, of course, but these ones seem to be the best options for you. The True Fit is regularly $200, but goes on sale a lot at Zellers for $150. There is also a new model of the True Fit (the Premier) that is going to be available very soon. Actually that one has a feature that eliminates the harness adjusting issues I mentioned earlier. I haven't seen what the price is going to be on those yet. The True Fit does only have a 35 lb limit for RF. You didn't mention the current weight of your twins, but you'll need to think about how long you want to RF and whether you think 35 lbs will get you that far.

OK, that was kind of long! And I probably forgot things because I'm trying to make dinner while I write this!

Good luck!

ETA: As per the Toys R Us website, the new True Fit is called the "Rebound", and it is $270.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We have a 2008 Rav4 and the backseat is huge. We could easily fit 2 larger adults + carseat in there.

I think that would be impossible, since you can't use the outboard driver's side and center seatbelts at the same time... ;)

I have found RAV4s to be tight (not the tightest, but tight) in terms of rear-facing seats. Heck, because of the way it sits on the seat, I had a SnugRide 22 be a tight fit back there, removing the leg room in the passenger seat enough that it would be uncomfortable for many/most people to ride there. I've also found because of the seat cushion shape and qualities many convertibles are just beasts to install there rear-facing for me (my almost-step-mother has an 08 RAV4.)

So I think concerns are valid, but recommendations given so far are good. :thumbsup: :)

brightredmtn

Be mindful that Toyota has rules about rear facing seats not being allowed to touch the backs of the front seats. These rules can be found in the air bag section of the car's manual. Just something else to consider when buying your new seat.

And I agree, RAV-4s do have small back seats. My Corolla was bigger than the 2007 RAV-4 I almost bought.

JLYGirl

Thanks for all the info! My LOs are about 18lb right now, so they'll still have some time before they *need* to move to a convertible carseat...I just wanted to do the research earlier.

We'll try to get to a TRU and try out the different seats with our car. Do I just go and ask the salesperson to "borrow" their seats? Or is there specific procedure I have to follow?

If price wasn't an issue (the $250 is DH's idea...but I might be able to convince him to up the limit), would there be other carseats we should be looking at? I personally think that we shouldn't skimp on our babies' safety, but he thinks that just because it costs more, that it'd be better. And unfortunately, neither of us know enough about all the carseats to say one way or another.

Thanks again for your expertise!

amyd

Yes, just talk to one of the baby department employees & tell the you'd like to try a floor model or 2 in your vehicle. What they do at our BRU is tell you to drive your vehicle around to the loading dock (like where you'd go to pick up a stroller or something else big that you purchased) & one of the employees (often a warehouse guy so don't expect them to know anything about the seats & they're not to supposed to help you install or anything anyway) will bring the seats you want to try out & just kind stand there while you do your thing. Just take your time, read the manual, adjust the straps, etc. Don't let them make you feel rushed.

As far as seats to try out at BRU, I'd go with the My Ride, True Fit & Complete Air. Start there...don't make it too complicated with too many choices. If none of those work or you don't like any of them, then you can move on from there.

Report back too:D We want to know how it went. You can even take your camera & take pic & post the here if there's something you're not sure about.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wouldn't even try to put a Radian in a new-style RAV 4 (though I hear it fits in between the seats in the old-style.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC