Top tethor anchor installation kit?

molly2004

Hi, there, can someone tell me if there is such a thing as a DIY installation kit? The grandparents have a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder that needs to be retrofitted with the anchors. If there is a DIY kit, does it need to be car make/model specific? Or is a generic one okay? Can you tell me where I can get them?

THanks!

PS: You guys are so awesome. Thank you so much for educating me on the need for harnessing past 40 lbs. I was so ready to put my boys into boosters not realizing they weren't ready. Thanks to you, I'm going with the safer option, if they ever get delivered (we're going with the backordered Regents, grandparents will be tooling around with the kids in Safeguard Gos after we get anchors installed).

Thanks again!

ADS

lynsgirl

Here is what the LATCH manual says about it.

"Nissan Pathfinder 1987-1995

Center - NA
Outboard - 88894-89900 (2) 8mm weld nuts under carpet in rear cargo floor

Cost for the tether anchor bracket is approximately $15.00. Perforated trim material or plastic plugs cover most sedan and van anchor points."

You'd call the dealer and order the parts. The bolt is usually pre-installed in the anchor point, but if it's not there, purchase the correct-size bolt from the dealer (8mm weld nut/8mm x 1.25 bolts).

HTH and good luck getting the anchors!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My LATCH manual is stuck in my trunk with almost 2 feet of snow between myself & the vehicle, so thanks to Amy for answering the specific vehicle questions :)

I just wanted to mention that www.ezonpro.com has tether anchor kits, too, generally for less cost than a vehicle manufacturer might charge (if they don't provide for free!) & EZOn customer service was very helpful figuring which vehicles & positions it can be installed in when I called a couple years ago. Hopefully things haven't changed too much :confused: (Also, they claim their anchors are tested to a higher weight limit than vehicle manufacturers' since theirs must be used with adult passengers up to 168#) When I ordered the 86Y for my niece to use in my dad's truck with lap only belt, the dealership installed the EZOn anchor for free....

Last edited:

lynsgirl

How about a 4dr Mercury Sable 1998? Is it availible in the center postion or just outboard?

Jenn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Thank you for your generosity. 1998 Ford Expedition or very near that year if mom isn't remembering correctly. (wondering1)

OK, for the Ford Expedition

Tether Anchor Kits: Tether anchor hardware can be obtained free of charge from any Ford dealer.

Dealership Installation Program: For 1989 and later models, Ford will pay their dealers to install tether anchors (Program R7C).

Expedition, 97-99 model years
Front seat: TA - drilled hole in lower cross bar of seat cushion (notes - instructions say to remove vehicle seat, but this is not necessary. Anchor can be accessed w/out seat removal).

2nd row center: F75Z 78613D74-AA Drill dimple in floor.

2nd row outboard: F75Z 78613D74-AA (2) Drill dimples along front edge of load floor.

3rd row: NONE

1998 Mercury Sable

Tether Anchor Kits: Tether anchor hardware can be obtained free of charge from any Mercury dealer.

Dealership Installation Program: For 1989 and later models, Mercury will pay their dealers to install tether anchors (Program R7C).

Sable 96-99 Model Years
Anchor Point Number/Type: (3) Drilled holes in rear filler panel

Tether retrofit Kit name: CSS Tether Belt Anchor Kit: 8mm Bolt, anchor bracket with weld nut (rear center) plate and nut (rear outboard), washer, template

2nd Row Center: F6DZ 54613D74-A

2nd Row Outboard: F6DZ 54613D74-A

wondering1

Amy,

Awesome - free - even better! Toyota charged me for the part and wanted 2 hours for installation. They ended up charging only 1 hour installation because the first time I went in they had ordered LATCH instead of the correct part for an older car.

molly2004

My LATCH manual is stuck in my trunk with almost 2 feet of snow between myself & the vehicle, so thanks to Amy for answering the specific vehicle questions :)

I just wanted to mention that www.ezonpro.com has tether anchor kits, too, generally for less cost than a vehicle manufacturer might charge (if they don't provide for free!) & EZOn customer service was very helpful figuring which vehicles & positions it can be installed in when I called a couple years ago. Hopefully things haven't changed too much :confused: (Also, they claim their anchors are tested to a higher weight limit than vehicle manufacturers' since theirs must be used with adult passengers up to 168#) When I ordered the 86Y for my niece to use in my dad's truck with lap only belt, the dealership installed the EZOn anchor for free....

Did you buy directly from EZOn? When I check the distributors listed on their site, they list bus service companies. And the bus companies' web sites don't list the anchors for sale. Not sure where to buy from.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yes, I bought directly through EZOn -- I think they don't sell the family stuff direct anymore, but the website should have the toll free number to ask Customer Service.... GOOD LUCK

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC