Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
NZ Child Restraints
CPS Fanatic

NZ Child Restraints has disabled reputation
How tall is your 3 year old?

From bottom to neck? I have to set up my Recaro carseat for my 3 year old niece but not sure what setting to put it on. She is average to small 3 year old. But a rough guide will help.

TIA

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
skipspin
Moderator - CPS Technician

skipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskipspin is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Re: How tall is your 3 year old?

The RYS? I would say the middle slots would be the best bet. My DD is 3.5 and is right between the bottom and center slots. Shes not tall, but does have a longish torso.

Also, it's pretty easy/fast to adjust if you needed to.

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65
skipspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
hjohnson6

hjohnson6 is a Car-Seat.Org cub writer

My son is 4 years 3 months old and he is still on the second slot of the Recaro Young Sport. He weighs 34lbs.
hjohnson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
NZ Child Restraints
CPS Fanatic

Sorry, I should have said, it is the Recaro Start.
NZ has only recently (jan) got the new line of Recaro seats.
I need to move the back notches up so her shoulders are below the ears.
It is a brand new seat (RRP $989 NZ) We have to look after her for the night early March when we get back from Aus.

I thought to put her in the AHR (like Britax MA I believe, with adjustable head rest, harness until 18kg (40 lb)) but not sure how much she weighs and partners car does not have a tether bolt fitted.
So my only real choice is the recaro if i can get the adjustments right or a cheaper seat that I was donated but I would prefer the recaro. It's far more superior and matches the seats in the car!
NZ Child Restraints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
NZ Child Restraints
CPS Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson6 View Post
My son is 4 years 3 months old and he is still on the second slot of the Recaro Young Sport. He weighs 34lbs.
How high are these slots?
She is 3.7. Taller child but very thin and little
Old 02-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
LuvBug
formerly...

LuvBug has disabled reputation

is it the booster? if so cant you adjust it once she is sitting it in? or if moving it up more complicated?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
NZ Child Restraints
CPS Fanatic

NZ Child Restraints here:

Yes its the booster model no internal harness. (They have only just come out here and I have had my Recaro for about 4 months now).

I find it difficult to install and thought if i have it set up as close as possible and then folded and in the boot until we pick her up it will be good.
Her mother has her in a polystyrene seat which i will refuse to use.

Just thought it was a good idea. I may have to find a height curve somewhere.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:12 AM   #8
NZ Child Restraints
CPS Fanatic

Would appreciate some help re: height of your 3 year old bottom to shoulders (car seat slot height would help ie 17")
TIA
Old 02-13-2007, 12:19 AM   #9
scatterbunny
Senior Community Member

scatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

It's so hard to say--all kids are so different. Is she tall, or little? You say both. Is she really tall for her age, or does she appear tall because she is so skinny? Is she long-torsoed or short-torsoed? Kids of the exact same height overall can fit the same seat differently because one can be long-torsoed and one can be short-torsoed.

My dd had a torso height of 14.5 inches at 2.5 years old and 38 inches tall (very tall for that age; she would have fit in most boosters on the lowest setting at that age and height). At 3.5 years old and about 42 inches tall she had a torso height of about 16 inches. Most of dd's friends did not reach 42 inches tall until 4.5-5.5 years old.

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche
scatterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
NZ Child Restraints
CPS Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbunny View Post
It's so hard to say--all kids are so different. Is she tall, or little? You say both. Is she really tall for her age, or does she appear tall because she is so skinny? Is she long-torsoed or short-torsoed? Kids of the exact same height overall can fit the same seat differently because one can be long-torsoed and one can be short-torsoed.

My dd had a torso height of 14.5 inches at 2.5 years old and 38 inches tall (very tall for that age; she would have fit in most boosters on the lowest setting at that age and height). At 3.5 years old and about 42 inches tall she had a torso height of about 16 inches. Most of dd's friends did not reach 42 inches tall until 4.5-5.5 years old.
Hey she is prob. tall as she is also very skinny. I just want to be able to set the seat to an approx height for her as then i can just pop it up one or down one. At the moment it would fit prob a 1 year old so need to move it up.
I am thinking i will arrange it at about 16-18"
Old 02-13-2007, 12:49 AM   #11
scatterbunny
Senior Community Member

scatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expertscatterbunny is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

17-18" would probably be too high. My dd is 5.5 and off-the-charts for height and her torso is just now 17".

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche
scatterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:56 AM   #12
NZ Child Restraints
CPS Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbunny View Post
17-18" would probably be too high. My dd is 5.5 and off-the-charts for height and her torso is just now 17".
okies, so 16" sounds about a good number? Lol I really have no idea ha?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #13
BudgieStew
Senior Community Member

BudgieStew is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorBudgieStew is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

My almost three year old(next month) has a torso height of 15 inches.
He is avg. height and weight for a kid his age. 37 inches and 30 lbs.
HTH
BudgieStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:08 AM   #14
mommy2jana
Senior Community Member

mommy2jana is a Car-Seat.Org cub writer

My 3.5 yr old dd is 39 inches tall and her torso height is about 14.5 inches.
mommy2jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #15
NZ Child Restraints
CPS Fanatic

Had the muchkin this weekend and she had the seat at 16" so a rather tall mite. She said the seat (recaro start) was comfortable so that has to be good.

Ha avuto il muchkin questa fine settimana ed ha avuta la sede a 16"così un acaro piuttosto alto. Ha detto che la sede (inizio di recaro) stava bene in moda da dovere essere buono.

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!