News Car Seat Recall Nearly 10 Years in the Making

thepote

February 3, 2010, 7:30 am
Car Seat Recall Nearly 10 Years in the Making
By CHRISTOPHER JENSEN
Consumer advocates say Dorel Juvenile Group’s new recall of four million child restraints comes so late it doesn’t matter anymore. Many of the children who once used those seats could have driver’s licenses by now, as the company and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration fought over the recall for almost a decade.

What’s more, the restraints are so old that Dorel and other safety experts recommend that they no longer be used – even if the new, safer anchoring straps the safety agency has demanded are installed.

“The seats are through their useful life,” said Jennifer Stockburger, the program manager for vehicle and child safety at Consumer Reports magazine. If safety agency were the hard-nosed agency it is supposed to be, she said, the recall would have happened long ago.

“It is an inordinately long time for a recall,” said Henry Jasny, the general counsel for Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety. “They should have dealt with it very quickly.”

The safety agency issued a statement saying, “Child passenger safety is a top priority,” and the recall “is further evidence of that commitment.” It denied there had been any unreasonable delay, saying testing and research were required.

The case began in mid-2001, when the agency’s testing showed some straps did not meet its standards for resisting abrasion and exposure to sunlight. The agency said that over time, the straps might weaken and might fail to securely hold the restraint in a crash.

The agency told Dorel that the restraints — made in 2000 and 2001, and sold under the Cosco and Eddie Bauer brands — had to be recalled.

In 2002, Dorel appealed, saying the failure to meet the standard was “inconsequential to motor vehicle safety.” Dorel argued that the safety agency’s standard was so poorly written that its straps were still safe despite being in violation.

Dorel’s basic argument was that, for example, in the case of abrasion, the strap had to retain 75 percent of its original strength. But the standard never specified what that original strength had to be. Dorel contended that its straps were particularly strong to begin with, arguing its straps could lose more than 25 percent of their strength and still be safer than those of another company that started with cheaper, weaker straps but lost only 10 percent and thus met the standard.

Dorel had a point when it argued that the regulation wasn’t very well-thought out, Mr. Jasny said. In 2005, the group asked the agency to adopt a minimum, original strength.

In 2006, the safety agency announced it would revise the standard and specify a minimum strength. Meanwhile, Dorel was still waiting for a response to its 2002 petition, which had appealed the recall, said Mark Evanko, Dorel’s executive vice president for quality assurance and product safety.

In July 2008, a letter from the safety agency arrived at Dorel. It denied the 2002 request. The agency defended its original decision in 2001, saying there was a clear safety issue with the straps and Dorel’s arguments were not persuasive. Mr. Evanko said Dorel couldn’t understand why it took so long to get a response.

Lena Pons, a policy analyst with Public Citizen, added, “It is not clear to me why they would take so long.”

In a report in the Federal Register, the agency explained the six-year delay by saying it needed to do additional testing and get public comments on changing the standard before it could properly address Dorel’s appeal.

Dorel appealed that 2008 decision, but it had to wait until January 2010 for an answer: the safety agency said Dorel had to carry out the recall. It involves contacting owners and offering them replacement straps.

Mr. Evanko said Dorel’s research suggests that less than 1 percent of the four million owners still have the restraints. Also, he says the restraints are so old that Dorel doesn’t recommend anyone use them, even with new straps.

He acknowledges that some people may argue that the delay means that the company managed to save a huge amount of money because so few restraints will be fixed.

“If it was a safety issue, we would have done the right thing back then and recalled all the seats,” he said. “Second of all, we are still are spending a significant amount of money contacting all our people in our product registration database. It is going to be very expensive.”

There are no reports of any injuries, according to the safety agency and Dorel, which is based in Columbus, Ind.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
:mad:

Atrocious. Simply atrocious.

The most surprising part is that Dorel might actually have a point here.

In any case, this only strengthens my contention that NHTSA is ineffective at best, incompetent at worst. :thumbsdown:

Jonah Baby

Further proof in my mind that Dorel seats should be avoided when possible, but they did have an exceedingly valid point here!

NHTSA needs some SERIOUS new guidelines in every regard.

capeKO71

Honestly, I think dorel has done a great job making improvements over the past 2-3 years. They really fill a need for lower income folks to be able to afford safe seats - yeah - they don't always have plush fabrics, ect. - but they are safe. For all the models of dorel seats on the market, I actually don't feel like they have that many recalls...

autumnlily

I'm afraid of the backlash from those who hear about this and say... "well, the shell (plastic) is obviously good for over 10 years - we just need to replace our harnesses to extend the life of the CR".

Dorel does have a point and I think the lengthy process hopefully enlightened those in the safety decision/enforcement roles for both NHTSA and CR manufacturers.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not completely willing to concede that Dorel is right--just that they might have a point. If their straps are indeed strong enough to withstand more than 25% degrading, wonderful. Just because they contend that doesn't make it true.

Plus if these were seats from 2000-2001 and the problem arose in 2002, what's to say that the straps wouldn't degrade even more over the rest of the usable life of the seat?

I don't think we know enough to determine whether or not there is really a problem with these straps. I am willing to give Dorel a small benefit of the doubt on THIS one, though.

I'm not sure who I have less faith in these days: Dorel or NHTSA. Either way it's pretty sad.

bigteamug

Outside of whether or not they had a point, how much money do you think they saved by not having the recall go thru 'til now, when most of those seats are no longer in use? Not to mention the bad press....
:whistle:

Evolily

I'm not sure that I buy that dorel's straps in 2001 were exceptionally strong. In the same breath, though, I think it was definitely the NHTSA that dropped the ball.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC