Youtube Video

ADS

lovinwaves

If you look at the "Stickys" at the top of the "Car-Seat" Forum you will see ADMIN has already posted regarding this. ;) Thank you for sharing though. We have throughly discussed this video. If you do a search you may also find some more posts regarding it. :)

CAEKWILSON

if you are asking about my girls they are 2 and 4, my youngest is in a 5 point, but she is getting to big for it, and my 4 year old is in a graco booster.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wow. Thank you for sharing. I hadn't seen the Belle video.

Hers is another video that made me cry uncontrollably. Wow.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
This is very sad!

if you are asking about my girls they are 2 and 4, my youngest is in a 5 point, but she is getting to big for it, and my 4 year old is in a graco booster.

If you posted some more info like weight and harness height I am sure we could find you a carseat that would fit her very well. Also your 4 year old could be in a 5 point harness as well. There are seat available that could keep them in a 5 point harness for a long time still.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The video is very sad and I hate to criticize it at all, but there is a statement that I think could be better stated. It isn't wrong, it is just a little bit misleading.

The statement is something like "In a 5-point-harness, there is nothing for the body to slam into," which was stated almost immediately after something like, "The body slams into the seatbelt." I think I understand what the parents are trying to say- that the 5-point harness spreads out the force of the impact more effectively than an adult seatbelt- but the way it is stated is a little "off," I think.

Sorry to criticize the video. I think it is a beautiful tribute to little Belle, who was a beautiful little girl.

Yoshi

Oh my God, this one is so tragic as well. I am going to hug my precious daughter tighter. Our children are so precious.

Jordynsmama

The only issue I am having with this is that she was only 3...she should have been in a 5 point easily, at least until she was 40 lbs, and she looks lean. My dd is heavy-43 lbs and 4.3, but was in her 5 point until 4...(she had just hit 40 lbs).This little girl was probably around 30 or so, so why was she in a booster??? ugh.
Also, the belt shouldn't be across the abdomen anyway, if it fits properly. And a lot of people do not make sure that their children are in the booster correctly. There arms aren't in it, they are twisting around, or they are slumped down-so the seatbelt is completely awkward on their little bodies...this could have been why she died, not necessarily the booster or the belt. Th parkway fits my dd very very well when she sits correctly. A lot of people just buckle the seatbelts, think their kids are in a booster so they are fine, but don't enforce them to sit right and dont look back to make sure. If a child is twisted around on impact or slumped down so the lapbelt is over their mid abdomen and I can just imagine what would happen... I am not obviously saying this is what happened as I have no clue- but I just wonder the real reaon why at a slow speed something went so wrong, ya know? Even at her age....
I have a friend who has 3 kids, 1, almost 3 and 4.5. I told her that the youngest should be rf and the middle should not be a in a booster yet-she has been in it since 2.5. But she probably won't listen, then when something happens she will act like she didn't have any clue. This is what bugs me. I have also been in the car with her and had to tell her dd to put her arm back under the belt, ect....so anyway just my thoughts and 2 cents :) but very unfortunate and sad-

LuvBug

she looks like she was 40+lbs to me(but you cant go by looks, my DN looks about 6lbs lighter than she is lol!). She should have still been in a harness, but in Australia I dont think they have an integrated harness seats past 40lbs. After that you can either use a booster or a booster and H harness, right? I didnt read her page but she was definitely in the seatbelt and booster alone?
So sad. Another good message though, even if it needs to be reworded and fixed a little. The average parent will get a good idea to start looking.

Splash

This video, though it still has some inaccuracies, actually DOES highlight a very real problem though- boosters rated from 3 years and 30 pounds. Even here, all (or almost all) of the boosters are rated from 30 pounds and 3 years. Some don't even HAVE an age on them, just 30 pounds and up.
If someone really doesn't know any better (and think about it, how would most people know any better? The box AND the salesman says to use it for a 30 pound child) then how is it their fault? Okay, they could research more, absolutely. But the manufacturer TELLS YOU to put your 30 pound 3 year old into their booster. They are being told BY THE MANUFACTURER that this is the appropriate seat for their child. I don't think much further research is necessary, you know? My child has a lot of food allergies. I read the ingredient labels. If it's a safe food, I give it to him, because I trust that the manufacturers have labeled it accordingly. Am I supposed to further research it to make sure they're not lying to me?
This is a sad video, and it's a bit incorrect, but at least this one does highlight a very real problem.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I completely agree with Splash. That was my first thought when I watched the Belle video - that so many parents put their kids in booster seats at 3 yrs and 30 lbs because that is what the box says, after all, so it must be safe! I sent this video to a friend of mine who has a 5 yr old in a booster seat and a 2 yr old in a Triumph that will be expiring in July (I know because I gave it to her). Her 2 yr old will turn 3 in May and my worry has been that she will put him in a booster seat when the Triumph expires because he's already 30 lbs and by then he will be over 3. I know that her 5 yr old was in a booster seat before she turned 4. So, after I sent her this video, she emailed me asking for info on the Radian80. I am now breathing a sigh of relief that he will probably be in an extended harness seat when the Triumph expires and it is all because of this video.

Lena

The video is very sad and I hate to criticize it at all, but there is a statement that I think could be better stated. It isn't wrong, it is just a little bit misleading.

The statement is something like "In a 5-point-harness, there is nothing for the body to slam into," which was stated almost immediately after something like, "The body slams into the seatbelt." I think I understand what the parents are trying to say- that the 5-point harness spreads out the force of the impact more effectively than an adult seatbelt- but the way it is stated is a little "off," I think.

Sorry to criticize the video. I think it is a beautiful tribute to little Belle, who was a beautiful little girl.

When it's broken up the way that video is, I think it's harder to follow. They make the statement that younger kids in boosters are too small allowing them to slip out of the seat belt slaming their body into other things or not hitting the seatbelt properly. A harness wouldn't.

southpawboston

i thought they meant something different... that with a booster and a seatbelt, there IS going to be more momentum developed before the restraint does its job of restraining the moving body--i.e., there is an initial slac.. in a five-point harness (properly tightened), your body doesn't "slam" into the harness... it is already snugly against it.

anyway, that's how i read it, and my interpretation could be wrong...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC