Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice > Child Safety Seat Installation, Compatibility and Technical Questions

Notices

Child Safety Seat Installation, Compatibility and Technical Questions Discuss Proper Use of Infant, Convertible, Combination and Booster Seats, Automobile Compatibility, Three Across and Install Problems.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
mamajava
CPS Technician

mamajava is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist
RF tethering!

Just curious! I have a '09 Town and Country. I have Miley rf in her MR65 on the passenger captains chair. The drivers side captains chair is removed for access in the 3rd row, where Anna is currently sitting. My question is...When my XTSL arrives, can I put it rf in the 3rd row (duh! I know I can!), but where would I teather it?

I can look this up in my owners manuel, but it is currently 15 degrees outside and I am lazy, so I thought I would ask here first! The seat hasn't came in the mail yet, so its not a worry yet, but I am just wondering if I am going to have to put the other captains seat back in!

Any help would be fantastic, just so I don't have to go freeze outside! HA! Thanks in advance!!!

Bella: 3/17/05, 90lbs, Evenflo Amp
Miley: 7/17/08, 60lbs, Britax Frontier90
http://www.mileymackenzey.blogspot.com/

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
LuciaBella

Re: RF tethering!

I believe for the town and country's you can actually tether to the middle top tether hook for the middle row center. Someone else can chirp in
Old 11-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
crunchierthanthou
Moderator - CPS Technician

crunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaBella View Post
I believe for the town and country's you can actually tether to the middle top tether hook for the middle row center. Someone else can chirp in
if she has captain's chairs there is no middle row center.

OP, your owner's manual likely won't address rf tethering. are you planning to have it in the middle or outboard? Outboard, I believe you can tether to an unused middle row TA. For the center, I would look at the middle row seat legs/anchorages. The rf tether point can be off center.
crunchierthanthou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
mamajava
CPS Technician

Correct, I do not have a bench seat in the middle row, I have 2 captain chairs and then the 3rd row is a bench!

I was going to put her in the 3rd row using lower anchors! And in the 3rd row, the lower anchors are right in the middle of the drivers outboard and the middle!

We don't have these seats around here and we rarely see a Britax come through our checks! So, I am not to familiar with rf tethering.

So with that said, if I put her in the 3rd row, where the lower anchors are...could I tether it to the captains chair, just like I would if it was the very front driver or passenger seat?

Gosh, after thinking this through, I am thinking this seat is going to be more of a hassel than anything for me to install. Maybe I should just give in and put the other captains seat in and do it there, but then I am giving up my whole back seat!

Oy...What to do!!!

mamajava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
LuciaBella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajava View Post
Correct, I do not have a bench seat in the middle row, I have 2 captain chairs and then the 3rd row is a bench!

I was going to put her in the 3rd row using lower anchors! And in the 3rd row, the lower anchors are right in the middle of the drivers outboard and the middle!

We don't have these seats around here and we rarely see a Britax come through our checks! So, I am not to familiar with rf tethering.

So with that said, if I put her in the 3rd row, where the lower anchors are...could I tether it to the captains chair, just like I would if it was the very front driver or passenger seat?

Gosh, after thinking this through, I am thinking this seat is going to be more of a hassel than anything for me to install. Maybe I should just give in and put the other captains seat in and do it there, but then I am giving up my whole back seat!

Oy...What to do!!!
WOW I feel like a dimwit.

If I were you, I would just put the car seat in the 3rd row middle and tether to one of the captains chairs. You know you don't HAVE to RF tether right?? It's just an extra safety feature that Britax has. As long as the seat is braced against one of the captains chairs, I don't see a problem if you can't RF tether
Old 11-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
all together ooky
Senior Community Member

all together ooky is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorall together ooky is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Couldn't you just tether it to one of the metal bars in the floor that the missing captain's chair would snap into?

Beatrice: Born Sept. 30, 2012
all together ooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
wendytthomas
Moderator - CPST Instructor

wendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

You can tether to any non moving attached part of the car.

Wendy
2011 BMW 535, 2012 Mazda5

wendytthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
mamajava
CPS Technician

OK!! Thanks for all the help! I will take pictures of the install and tethering when it gets here!

mamajava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
ketchupqueen
CPST and ketchup snob

ketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

I would attach the D-ring to the anchor assembly for the captain's chair (where it locks in.) It's a non-moving metal part that is bolted to the vehicle and should be strong enough to withstand the forces of a crash. If you can loop it securely around-- that's what I'd do, if you don't intend to put that chair back in while having the seat RF tethered.

Food allergies or restrictions? There's a support group for that.
ketchupqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
crunchierthanthou
Moderator - CPS Technician

crunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
I would attach the D-ring to the anchor assembly for the captain's chair (where it locks in.) It's a non-moving metal part that is bolted to the vehicle and should be strong enough to withstand the forces of a crash. If you can loop it securely around-- that's what I'd do, if you don't intend to put that chair back in while having the seat RF tethered.
Yup. that's what I meant by "anchorage". If you want to tether to the passenger side, look for a seat leg. otherwise, where the other seat would attach to the floor is a great spot.

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!