Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > Car and Vehicle Safety

Notices

Car and Vehicle Safety Automotive Shopping and Buying Advice on Safe Family Cars, Trucks, Vans and SUVs. Discuss IIHS and NHTSA Crash Tests and Transportation Safety Statistics.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
newbiema

newbiema is earning a good CPS reputation:-)
Question Thinking about a Subaru Forester...

Hi Everyone, I am new here! I have a 9 month old son who is just beyond adorable! I also drive a VW Bug that I have had since high school, which is beyond frustrating. My little guy is getting big (20lbs 6oz and 29 1/2 inches tall at his 9 month appt.), so I am looking to upgrade to a convertible car seat soon. Right now, we have the Graco Seat Seat 30, so we have a little leeway.

Anyway, I am starting to shop for a better family car, either a medium sized sedan or a small SUV. I did some prelimnary shopping this weekend, and I took an '06 Forester on a quick test drive around the dealer's parking lot, and I kinda love it! It is nice and spacious, but drives like a smaller car, which I need since I am so used to driving my little bug. Would any of you recommend/ not recommend this car? I am not set on this model or year, so other recommendations would be gerat as well. TIA!

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
LuvBug
formerly...

LuvBug has disabled reputation
Re: Thinking about a Subaru Forester...

did you have a chance to look at them yet?

I have heard good things about the newest model, but a LOT of complaints about the older ones.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Lemonade
CPS Technician

Lemonade is almost a CPS know-it-allLemonade is almost a CPS know-it-allLemonade is almost a CPS know-it-allLemonade is almost a CPS know-it-all

My DH has an 03 Forester and it's awful for car seats. Very short front to back and narrow. You can fit one Britax convertible in the middle (it puzzles between the front seats because the back plastic gets narrower) but putting a RF seat behind the driver or passenger is not pretty. Unless you are very petite. If you only plan to have one kid then it's fine. If you want more than one maybe look elsewhere. Now, I have no idea about the newer ones so they may be better.
Lemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
newbiema

Thanks guys! I have actually been doing so "window shopping" in the store parking lots when I've been out, and I have started to notice how small the backseat is as well. I liked the car at first because it go great safety ratings and seemed reasonably priced, but now.... eh. I dropped by a Toyota lot yesterday to eye up some Rav4s, but it was actually the Camrys that caught my eye! Very spacious, stylish, safe and not ridiculously priced! I might see if I can even swing a new car financially... we shall see...
newbiema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
carseatcoach
Carseat Crankypants

carseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

A Forester may be spacious compared to a Bug, but compared to other cars its size, it really isn't. The backseat is shallow and narrow, and the cargo space is less than it appears to be.

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart
carseatcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
pastrygirl
CPS Technician

pastrygirl is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

I love my '09 Forester, but will only ever be able to have two car seats (or two adults) in the back. The center seat is no good for car seats or humans.
pastrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
firemomof3
CPS Technician

firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!firemomof3 IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Are you looking for new or used, do you need all-wheel dive, do you need space in the back for lets say a dog, how many kids do you plan on having? The camry is a great car and the full-size impala & malibu
firemomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
newbiema

My husband and I only have one baby right now... he'll be 10 months in a week! I think we may try to have one more child in a couple years, but that's the limit!! We don't have any pets either (a 10 month old is more than enough trouble for us!), and we don't have any intention of getting one really ever, but at least in the near future. I want my next car to be accomodating of at least two carseats, just so I don't need to buy another car if and when #2 comes along. We live in PA, so we get snow, but not a WHOLE lot. We have been contemplating moving to New England, but that is more of just a wandering thought at the moment. I do have a bike, so I would like something I could attach them to in case we go on an outdoorsy vacation soon (which we will hopefully do!).
Old 11-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
newbiema

O, and right now, I am thinking of going with a newer used car, like low mileage 05-07. HOWEVER, depending on the make and model, I may be able to swing a new car. For example, a new Camry could be possible if I limit the options, but a new SUV would be completely out of the question. I would want to spend around 15k or so for a used... could possibly spend around 20k on a new car (I would feel more comfortable taking out a longer loan on a new car).
Old 11-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
SavsMom
CPS Fanatic

SavsMom is almost a CPS know-it-allSavsMom is almost a CPS know-it-allSavsMom is almost a CPS know-it-allSavsMom is almost a CPS know-it-all

The new model of the Forester (2009-2010) is much better than the previous year in regards to size. The back seat is much more spacious than before, as is the front passenger room and cargo area.

I have a base model 2010 and love it. I only have once child and have her Britax Boulevard installed rear facing on the passenger side (getting a center installation just didn't work). It was super easy to install and the front passenger still has plenty of room. Three across would be really tough due to the center seat, 2 car seats and an adult probably wouldn't work that well either - it would work, but not comfortably.

I often have 2 adults riding with me, and everyone who has ridden in my Forester compliments me on what a great vehicle it is.

DD - 12/07 - SureRide & ProBooster
DS - 9/13 - KeyFit30
SavsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
pastrygirl
CPS Technician

pastrygirl is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavsMom View Post
Three across would be really tough due to the center seat, 2 car seats and an adult probably wouldn't work that well either - it would work, but not comfortably.
Have you tried a seat in the center? I can't install a Marathon or Radian there in my '09, but I'm wondering if it's possible in the 2010 model year. I also can't fit my behind in the center position, without any car seats installed. Maybe a small child can fit in the center, but it's definitely not a useable spot for an adult. The space between the seat belt stalks is extremely narrow (which is also why I can't get a car seat in there).
pastrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #12

Guest is almost a CPS know-it-allGuest is almost a CPS know-it-allGuest is almost a CPS know-it-allGuest is almost a CPS know-it-allGuest is almost a CPS know-it-all

You should be able to get a new Camry for not too much more than $16,000. Right now is a sort of horrible time to buy a car though. Imports especially. For where you live, you may want something with AWD though.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
SavsMom
CPS Fanatic

SavsMom is almost a CPS know-it-allSavsMom is almost a CPS know-it-allSavsMom is almost a CPS know-it-allSavsMom is almost a CPS know-it-all

Yes, I tried to install our Boulevard in the center - I think it could be done, but I gave up and just put it outboard. I won a CA - and am going to give it a try when it arrives (hopefully soon, I can't wait to play with it).

As far as comfort in the center seat - I sat there the other day and didn't find it to be any more uncomfortable than any other center seat, but like you said the seatbelt could cause some discomfort for longer rides.

I had a Ford Escape before and I just love love love my Subaru - don't get me wrong I loved my Escape, but I would choose my Subaru over it any day.

My parents also got a new 2010 Outback and it is spectacular. Install was easy outboard (latch) and center (seat belt).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
Have you tried a seat in the center? I can't install a Marathon or Radian there in my '09, but I'm wondering if it's possible in the 2010 model year. I also can't fit my behind in the center position, without any car seats installed. Maybe a small child can fit in the center, but it's definitely not a useable spot for an adult. The space between the seat belt stalks is extremely narrow (which is also why I can't get a car seat in there).

DD - 12/07 - SureRide & ProBooster
DS - 9/13 - KeyFit30

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!