Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > Car and Vehicle Safety

Notices

Car and Vehicle Safety Automotive Shopping and Buying Advice on Safe Family Cars, Trucks, Vans and SUVs. Discuss IIHS and NHTSA Crash Tests and Transportation Safety Statistics.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Smithie

What used minivan would you buy if you like easy installs?

... and who DOESN'T like easy installs?

I want this configuration - RFing infant in one second-row seat, three FFing "big kids" across the back bench, the other second-row seat removed for ease in getting in and out.

One "big kid" is in a Radian 65 that must be top tethered. The other two I'll be buying new BPBs for, whatever works best for the car, high-back or low-back depending on age and size of our foster-to-adopt boy. (Bio-boy currently uses a high-back but we're thinking of switching over in the new car).

I have several months to find the perfect car, but not unlimited $$$ to buy it. Who has a van that they love putting car seats in?

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
NannyMom
CPS Technician

NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!NannyMom IS a CPS Know-It-All!
Re: What used minivan would you buy if you like easy installs?

It's the 3 across the back that'll give you problems. Especially with boosters, they can be difficult to buckle in a 3 across. How old might the kids be in the BPBs? If they're under 6, it'd be better to have them in a harness seat still.

What about a van where you can move the passenger side outboard seat closer to the center for 3rd row access? I know in the 7 passenger Sienna and in the Odyssey you can do that. Then yo can put 2 in the 3rd row, and 2 in the 2nd row. Or even an 8 passenger Sienna, with 1 2nd row seat removed. Then you can still put 2 in the 2nd row (the center seat is big, almost as big as the outboard seats), and 2 in the 3rd row, and still have a big space open for 3rd row access.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
hockeywoman
Carseat Crazy

hockeywoman is a novice Car-Seat.Org journalist

I agree - 3 across the back row would be difficult with 2 boosters, even with the radian. I'm dreading the day that my DD outgrows the nautilus harnessed, then we'd have to have one of my "big kids" in a booster in a 3 across situation. Right now my 6, 5 and 4 year olds are all harnessed, with my foster baby RF in the 2nd row, and 7 YO in a booster in the 2nd row.

The only thing that might work is a very narrow booster, but I'm not sure what's currently on the market that fits that bill. I like our 2003 Sienna, but we'll only get to drive it until we get more foster kiddos (hopefully soon), then we're back to the 15 passenger. I definitely would keep high back boosters as long as possible for the side impact protection they offer.
hockeywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
QuassEE
Moderator - CPST Instructor

QuassEE is a Car-Seat.org LeaderQuassEE is a Car-Seat.org LeaderQuassEE is a Car-Seat.org LeaderQuassEE is a Car-Seat.org LeaderQuassEE is a Car-Seat.org LeaderQuassEE is a Car-Seat.org LeaderQuassEE is a Car-Seat.org LeaderQuassEE is a Car-Seat.org LeaderQuassEE is a Car-Seat.org LeaderQuassEE is a Car-Seat.org LeaderQuassEE is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I've had a Sienna and Ody, both of which I found to offer the best configurations.. but three across in the back? You're asking to yank your hair out in frustration. What worked best for me was having the two kids needing the most assistance in the centre row, outboard--flipping the centre-centre seat down and the two oldest going over that seat into the back. In the Sienna, you could remove the outboard seat and just use two seats as well. In the Odyssey, you cannot do this because the centre seat is useless. You can move the PlusOne and shift over though.

I've done three across in both the Ody and the Sienna--and the Sienna does seem to have more space in that back row. Someone here (forget who?) flips a seat with a RF child restraint on it to get access to the rear row.

-Nicole.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com
QuassEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
bethng
CPS Technician

bethng is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorbethng is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

I have always had easy installs in my 06 sedona. I have 4 LATCH positions. 2 in the 3rd row and each captian seat.
Beth CPST and special needs trained Mom to Bailey ...20 and driving! Skylar- 16yrs-and also driving! Molly-13 yrs -70+ pounds passing the 5 step test and Avery -9 yrs - 55+ pounds, riding in a redd performance sport booster.

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!