Question Think I've settled on Radian XTSL but have ?

U

Unregistered

I think I am going to get my daughter the RN XTSL for her next seat. She is almost 18 months and I'm guessing around 22-23 pounds and around 29-30 inches, so she is pretty small. She is currently in a Safe Seat and still probably has 2 inches over her head, so that will become our backup seat. I plan on rearfacing her until she goes to kindergarten, do you think that the RN is the best choice for her?

Also, I have a just turned 4 year old who is about 40-41 inches and about 37ish lbs. I want to rearface her in the same seat if you think she will fit and it would not be silly to do so, she is currently riding in a GN.

Last, I drive a 2007 Nissan Versa. I searched but couldn't really find any threads on installing a RN in a Versa. Are there issues with it? I am short and usually the only one in the car-besides the kids so space for passengers isn't a realy issue. THANKS!!!!!!

ADS

kittykate

It looks like both of your kids could still rear face in the Radians based on the stats you listed. I think the Radian would be a great choice for the 18 month old if you want to rear face her until 5 or so because the Radian XTSL has a tall shell and a 45lb rear facing weight limit (however, she may still outgrow the Radian rear facing by height before her 5th birthday.)

The four year old should still fit rear facing height-wise, but I would definitely try it before you buy if at all possible since there is a chance that she may have the right proportions to be near the limits of the seat by height (she would need to have at least one inch of hard shell above her head to be rear facing)

As far as the Versa, you could have two Radians rear facing in it, but you would definitely not be able to have a passenger up front. We have and '08 Versa and could fit the Radian rear facing in the center (with a seatbelt install since Nissan does not allow borrowing of the outboard LATCH anchors for a center install) because the shell fit between the two front seats. The seat belt install was not the easiest, but was doable.

Outboard on the passenger side, the Radian installed easily with LATCH, but did not allow a passenger to safely ride up front.

U

Unregistered

Since you have a Versa, what seats other than the Radian would you recommend? I really want her to rearface at least until 4. I don't want to get the Radian installed on the passenger side and never be able to have someone ride in it. What do you think of the My Ride, would she last until 4 in it?

kittykate

We have had a True Fit, True Fit Premier, and Marathons in the car as daily seats, and until very recently we had both boys rear facing. Of those seats, I think that the True Fit/ True Fit Premier are the best value as they have tall shells and fit very well rear facing, but they do only rear face to 35lbs. (My almost two year old DS2 24 lber will almost certainly make it to 4 in this seat, but my DS1 only made it to 3.5)

DS1 was able to rear face in the Marathon until 3 years and 4 months old, 33lbs and 40 inches when he outgrew it by height. He can still just barely rear face in the True Fit/ True Fit Premier, but he is very close if not at the 35 lb limit when clothed, so we have him forward facing at this point since none of the 40+ pound seats work with both him and the Versa.

The My Ride 65 fit well in the Versa when we tried it, but my (slightly taller than average) DS1 had already outgrown it by height at 3.5. If your daughter is on the shorter side, though, they may be able to rear face to 4 in it. Many people on this board love and highly recommend the My Ride, but since my son had already outgrown it rear facing I don't have much personal experience with it.

Another seat to consider would be the Safety 1st Complete Air. (It is only sold at Babies R Us through the end of the year) It rear faces to 40 lbs, has a tall shell and it installs much more upright than a Radian. We didn't try this seat in the Versa as DS1 had issues with the harness straps on his neck (he has sensory issues) but it is another seat that should keep your daughter rear facing to at least 4.

InternationalMama

I just wanted to post that we use a True Fit Premiere in a Nissan Versa (behind the passenger) and I think it works well too. The only thing I don't love about it is that it's wide. It's hard to fit two adults in the backseat with the TFP. But fitting a passenger up front works. :thumbsup: The True Fit Premiere is a really nice seat too.

I wanted to ask the PP: Do you think you could fit a Radian in the center and a TF/P outboard and still have room for another passenger in the backseat of the Versa?

kittykate

I wanted to ask the PP: Do you think you could fit a Radian in the center and a TF/P outboard and still have room for another passenger in the backseat of the Versa?

I honestly don't think so. I haven't tried it, but looking at my back seat, the TFP is so wide that it interferes with the middle seat belt when installed with LATCH and a seatbelt install (for the passenger side TFP) doesn't really give you any more access to the middle belt due to the way the backseat curves out beside the door. I think it would be really hard to get a good install of both seats, but who knows, stranger configurations have worked :shrug-shoulders:

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much! So now I think I am going to go with the complete air. I really love the radian but am really concerned with the recline. So I have a few questions about the complete air: are there going to be any new covers coming out? do you think the prices will drop? will i need a noodle? can it be braced?

Thanks!

kittykate

I'm not familiar enough with the CA to answer your questions, but I think if you start a new thread with your questions about the Complete Air you will get more answers :)

InternationalMama

Thanks for the thoughts on the TFP and RN. Someday I'll try it out.

For the OP, I agree you could start another thread about the Complete Air. I have a few answers though. Yes, they are coming out with new covers sometime soon. I remember seeing pictures at carseatblog.com. They are also coming out with a new version called the Complete Air LX, which will have a recline feature to get a better recline with younger kiddos. As far as pricing, starting in January other stores besides BRU will carry the CA (as I understand) so it may be easier to find deals then. For your other questions I don't have the answers.

If the CA ends up working well in the Versa post back! I'm curious. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC