Need booster advice please!

Michi

I am SO frustrated!
My DD has been complaining for quite some time that her Turbo booster feels 'too small.'
She is all legs and the Turbo cuts her off about mid-thigh.
(She will be 9 years old tomorrow, she is 57 lbs. and 53")
So, today we went to the only store in town that sells Britax, to look at a Parkway.

I was VERY disappointed!!! Not in the Parkway, but in the sales staff, and all of the mis-information that I received.
I explained the problem to the man who was helping us, and this is what he told me....
"Your DD is very borderline. I think her problem is due to a lack of cushioning.
Personally I wouldn't pay $100 dollars for a seat that is only going to last her a year at the most. Why don't you just go and get a piece of memory foam and put it under the cushion of the Turbo-Booster? Or else, I would definitely just put her in a backless at this point."

He also told me...
"The only difference between the Parkway and the Turbo, is that a Turbo booster is designed to protect in a crash of about 30 miles per hour, while the Parkway is designed to protect at about 50 miles per hour "

?????HUH?????!!!!!

At this point I just left, because I don't want to support a store that gives out such horrible information!
SO...now what do I do? The Parkway that we tried her in did still cut her off mid-leg, and so she said that she didn't want it. What are my options now?
Is Recaro a longer seat front-to-back?
We saw this seat at Wal Mart in a backless version. It looked huge, but it was bolted to the shelf so she couldn't try it out. Does anyone know anything (good or bad) about it?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4645519

ADS

Michi

Sorry - Just bumping this up to see if anyone knows about the Recaro or Wal-Mart boosters.
I was also wondering if the Apex might be an option, as that has a wider base??? (Or is she too tall?)
Thanks,
Michi

abacus2

If you liked the Parkway, just order one online in a gender neutral fabric and pass it down when she's done with it. With 4 kids, it's ridiculous to worry that buying something for the oldest won't get enough use.

Walmart has a fabulous return policy. If you really think the seat you linked would work, take the car you'll use it in and dd and try it out in the parking lot, immediately returning it if you don't like it.

Michi

Well...after seeing the Wal-Mart one in person tonight, I was not impressed, as there was not a strap that holds the shoulderbelt in place.
So, I guess we'll keep searching.

abacus2

I just got to see the Parkway in person today. It's really nice. I tried my daughter in it (although we're not buying yet as she won't be old enough for a year or two). Did your dd not like it?

skaterbabs

If she can hold out in the TB just a little longer, the Britax Monarch is supposed to be out soon and may have a deeper seating area.

Michi

I am anxiously awaiting the Monarch!
(Of course, the only store around us that will carry it will be that awful place...but I can at least try it out there, and then buy online!);)

My DD did like the Parkway's wings and extra padding (compared to her Turbo), but her chief complaint is that her Turbo is too 'short' and hurts her legs.
The Parkway really didn't seem that much longer front to back, and so she said that she didn't want it.
She is very long legged - She passes two of the 5 step test points (legs bending at the seat, and feet on the floor - even in her booster) - but it's her torso that just isn't long enough yet. I tried her w/o a booster and the belt rode up on her abdomen, and cut across her neck. So she definitely still needs one (despite what 'Mr. Smarty Pants Salesperson' says!)

Morganthe

Hi there,
I purchased a Recaro Start in June because my daughter was outgrowing her harness seat. I haven't used it, but I have taken it out of the box and played with it to see what's what. I am very impressed with it after seeing what Britax, Graco, & Evenflo have for their booster seats.

IMO, it has to be the most comfortable booster seat out on the market. Its padding is extremely comfortable and is almost the same foam used for our mattress. You can adjust the height of the back, the width of the shoulder sip, reclines, AND the depth of the seat, plus there is a tether to keep it properly in the car's seat, which I haven't seen too many other booster seats out there with. I like how the bottom flips up for storage & carrying. It also has a steel frame & speakers in the headrests. The padding sits on almost a hammock belt, there's no hard places for the child at all. I wish my driver's seat was half as comfortable.

My only dilemna is that it will be a long time before my daughter is ready for a seatbelt booster since she's only just turned 3 and is 39" & 34lbs. So I'm thinking seriously of selling mine instead of letting it sit forever in its box and running down the DOM time frame. If you're interested, pm me and I'll provide more information. www.recaro.com is the main website and it has the manuals & information available there.

hth give you an idea of the Recaro Start's virtues :)

Michi

While I would LOVE!!!! the Start, I think that the only Recaro that we could afford at this time would be the Style. :(

scatterbunny

Someone had Recaro Starts for $199 recently, if that puts it more in your price range. I really do think it's the only one that offers significantly more leg room.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC