1998 Saturn SL1 - thoughts?

TerisBoys

Subaru got vetoed - we both agree on this one however.

I need >25mpg, and the ability to fit at least 2 of my boys in the backseat (I know 3 across with a HWH seat is a pipedream).

I know Josh and William will need hbb's - luckily Josh still fits in the Vivo and SR/C.

Looking at it tomorrow if it doesn't sell tonight - it has minor body damage (guy sideswiped his house with it :eek: scratching the driver's side), but relatively low miles (80K original) and the asking price is very reasonable IMO.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Keep in mind the seatbelts that were in use during the crash may or may not have been replaced. If not, that is something you have to add in to your cost for the vehicle.

Neatfreak

My husband drove a '95 4-door SL1 until we moved overseas last year. A family friend has a the vehicle now. It's only needed routine maintenance, nothing major. My husband found it very roomy for his 6'4" frame, and it was the more economical of the two vehicles we own. Alas, it didn't have LATCH or tether anchors. LATCH didn't matter to me, but the tether anchors did.

TerisBoys

Keep in mind the seatbelts that were in use during the crash may or may not have been replaced. If not, that is something you have to add in to your cost for the vehicle.

It's very minor body damage IMO - the paint is scuffed. It looks like she brushed the side of the house really. I doubt the seatbelts were affected. http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/car/699405944.html

My husband drove a '95 4-door SL1 until we moved overseas last year. A family friend has a the vehicle now. It's only needed routine maintenance, nothing major. My husband found it very roomy for his 6'4" frame, and it was the more economical of the two vehicles we own. Alas, it didn't have LATCH or tether anchors. LATCH didn't matter to me, but the tether anchors did.

Tethers can be retro-fit I *hope*. I need at least one for Ryan's Nauti.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I did a LATCH manual lookup for you. Two tether anchors can be retrofit in the '98 Saturn S-series sedan for the rear outboard seating positions. There are two 8mm weld nuts in the rear filler panel, and the anchor points are covered by plastic plugs. The part number is 21048101 and one anchor retrofit should be done for free per GM Service Bulletin 99-09-40-004.

I'm almost 100% positive the '98 SL1 has a lap-only belt in the center rear seating position. It might have switchable retractors outboard, but I'm not positive on that. Some S-series have locking latchplates, and I'm not super familiar with the '98 model year. We had a '94 SL1 pre-kids, a '97 SW1 until DD1 was about three weeks old, and a 2000 SC1. The SC1 had switchable retractors and I think the '97 SW1 did, too, although my memory is a bit fuzzy. :eek: My relatives have a '96 SW1 with locking latchplates. Reliability for all of the S-series we've had was pretty bullet proof, and I :love: the plastic body panels. Happy car shopping. :)

TerisBoys

Well phooey - the guy just emailled me and sold it last night :(

He knew I was interested and coming up tonight.

*sulks*

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Aww, bummer. Compact cars sure seem to be hot sellers right now due to high gas prices and it's becoming a real seller's market for them. I read the other day about people who were scrambling to buy used Geo Metros due to their fuel efficiency. Some were buying multiple Metros, keeping one, and flipping the others for a premium price tag due to the high demand.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC