Backless booster

U

Unregistered

What age is it ok use one full time? with head support of course
Our hbb Vivo(spare booster train only) will expire when dd is 8 and we have and use a GN as well trying to see if I should sell it after she out grows the harness around 6 or 7 or keep it to use as backless since I really dont want to use it has a hbb as its heavy. Are there any cheeper hbbs that go tall like the Vivo? I though I read that the Evenflo big kids were about the same height but also read that they are about the same as the Turbos?

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
A backless booster can be used when the child is mature enough to sit in one properly, which varies from child to child. Other things to consider are belt fit and head restraints, of course, and also side impact protection. I don't like for my kids to use backless boosters in older vehicles or vehicles without side curtain airbags.

While there isn't a reliable standard for US seats and side impact protection, we know from European crash tests that some boosters do better than others. I look for models that are very similar to their European counterparts with good side impact ratings or boosters with deeper wings. The Turbo HBB did not do well in the ÖAMTC side impact tests, but the German version of the Britax Parkway did.

nomatt

I have a Monterey for my 8 yo. When he sits in the middle of my dh's cr-v or my sienna, he rides backless. I think he fits better, the belt fits better and he's in the middle. I think it depends on the fit in each car as well. When my younger ds moves to the Monterey, I'll let my older ds go backless - probably this spring. He'll be almost 9.

I personally think that a 6 or 7 year old is really young to be backless, unless they are really big or really mature for their age.

Sandy

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
This question comes up from time to time, and what Ulrike said here really sums it up for me.

I don't like for my kids to use backless boosters in older vehicles or vehicles without side curtain airbags.

In a less safe/older car/no side air bags - I'm frankly not comfortably with my kids in a backless (or even no booster) at *any* age, more and more vehicles are offering side curtain air bags as standard, and they are worth the upgraded option if available.

If a vehicle does have side curtain airbags (and head support of course), I'll say about age 8 for backless, because by then, most kids have a couple of years of booster use under their belt (LOL - no pun intended), and can sit appropriately without getting out of position, they are also less likely to fall asleep.

My dd will be 9 in a few months and she doesn't LIKE to ride in a backless, she likes her HBB, and when I suggested she ride in a backless in my van so we could put her HBB in grandmas car (it's a less safe car) she got really upset - she just doesn't feel safe in a backless.

Kat_Momof3

for me, it depended a lot on when the kid will outgrow a highback.

my oldest outgrew most highbacks around age 7... so we had to put him in it full time at that point... we didn't have a taller one for him and when one did come out, buying it for HIM would have meant moving his brother to the third row and putting HIM in a backless as his highback wouldn't have fit in our third row at the height he needed.

Of course, we ended up buying that taller seat (the Monterey) for my younger son, who, at 8, while he's gone through periods of asking to use his backless instead (and if it's a time where we're not really using our car much, I'll let him), still prefers his highback seat.

This school year, we're in the car a lot more, so I waited until school had already started before I asked him (as I had promised him this summer when I put the highback back in after 2 months of him wanting the backless for our occasional car trips that were short... going to the beach and pool). He's 8yrs old and just not as tall as his brother... he has a good 2years left in boosters... and he told me that since I told him (and I did) the highback is safer and since it has his comfy "pillows" for sleeping and since I widened it again for him (I hadn't realized during the summer that his shoulders were getting scrunched), he'd just use it till he's 10 (he knows that he'll probably be in a booster until then because of having asked, just because his brother hit 4'9" at 8yrs old)

I would use a highback booster as long as possible.... however, if it becomes a real hard issue, somewhere around 7 or 8, I'd be fine with a kid going backless.... but keep the highback handy as they may change their mind when they realize it's really nice to have headwings and body support for sleeping.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My 10 and 12 year olds ride in highbacks in our van which has no curtain airbags and poor rear impact head protection (bad head restraints, IIHS rates what you should look for in that regard), and in a backless or nothing in our SUV with curtain airbags and good head restraints.
DS will be too tall for his Frontier pretty soon, I'll either just need to relax about him not being as well protected or get a new car with better safety features.

:)

U

Unregistered

op here

well I have no idea what to do then when the Vivo expires. Only 1 car I think dd is in a few times a month has side curtain air bags.

another 2 cars its been harder then hard to find a booster that will fit the bucket seats

and 1 car has those head rest that make it impossible for high backs to be used in any spot but one.

is the Evenflo Big Kid Hbb just as tall as the Vivo? I have heard they are but then I have heard they are short like the Trubos.

U

Unregistered

The best bet would be to get anohter Vivo when shes out grown the harness in the GN if they still have them. Hopefully they will as its the only one other then the Compass that fits 2 of our bucket seat cars. The compasses are not tall either.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC