Any safe gate checking options?

sunflower

I was wondering if there is a safe way to gate check an infant seat, if there will be no empty seats on the flight. My baby is 7 months old, it's an international flight, and it was really expensive to add a 3rd seat. He's the only child traveling with us. If not, I'll leave the seat at home, and borrow when we arrive.

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I would probably grab an inexpensive infant seat to bring on the trip. If there is room on the outgoing plane to use it, awesome -- use it on the way out, in cars at your destination, on the way back. If there isn't, gate check it and then borrow a seat for the cars on the other end. On the way back, I'd bring the infant seat (even if it was gate-checked on the way out) and try to use it again for the return flight.

Provided there has been no visible damage, I would feel comfortable using a gate-checked seat on a plane and feel that it is safer than a lap baby.

I don't know that there's any way to guarantee the safety of a gate-checked seat in a car. It's good that you have a seat you can borrow on the other end either way. If your regular seat is nice enough that you'd not want to have to replace it, I'd get an inexpensive seat just for the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brightredmtn

I know I'm probably the only one here with this opinion but I don't have a problem gate checking a seat. I mean, when you order a car seat it comes in just a box. I just can't believe the package delivery companies treat them any better than the airline baggage handlers and that a layer of cardboard offers much protection.

So I'd keep moving your seats around so you have a spare next to you. If the flight fills up bring something that can mimic the box the seat came in.

1mommy

The Manufacturers Alliance for Child Passenger Safety says this about checked seats "Car Seats Gate-Checked or Checked as Luggage Car seats are designed to withstand most motor vehicle crash forces. In general, the MACPS does not consider a gate-checked car seat or a car seat that is checked as luggage to be one that has experienced forces equivalent to a motor vehicle crash. Once the destination is reached, it is recommended to inspect the car seat to make sure no visual damage has occurred and all aspects of the car seat function properly."

So while I understand erring on the side of caution and agree with buying a cheap seat to gate check if you have to, I wouldn't consider it crashed or ruined unless there is visible damage or it gets lost, in which case it would be very good to have your back up seat when you arrive.

brightredmtn

The Manufacturers Alliance for Child Passenger Safety says this about checked seats "Car Seats Gate-Checked or Checked as Luggage Car seats are designed to withstand most motor vehicle crash forces. In general, the MACPS does not consider a gate-checked car seat or a car seat that is checked as luggage to be one that has experienced forces equivalent to a motor vehicle crash. Once the destination is reached, it is recommended to inspect the car seat to make sure no visual damage has occurred and all aspects of the car seat function properly." So while I understand erring on the side of caution and agree with buying a cheap seat to gate check if you have to, I wouldn't consider it crashed or ruined unless there is visible damage or it gets lost, in which case it would be very good to have your back up seat when you arrive.

Thank you for this.

I would never regular check a seat for fear of it getting lost because then you're completely screwed once you get to your destination. I know it's possible for it to be forgotten if gate checked but much much less likely.

rin2809

I see it as the seat would probably be OK gate checked. That being said, there is no way that I would gate check my $200 Chicco Keyfit seat. It's just not a risk I am willing to take with that kind of investment that wouldn't be reimbursed.

As long as you have an option for a backup at your destination, I agree with Nedra, I would buy a cheap seat that you wouldn't be heartbroken if something happened to it. It may be an idea to look into getting a light, easy convertible like the Scenera NEXT that you will be able to use longer down the road, especially if you travel often. Just be sure to test the install a bit beforehand so you are comfortable.

abemom2

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

I do not travel often, which is why I didn't purchase the Next, and it's never on sale here in Canada. $115 after tax, so not worth it when it will never really be used. I wanted to get it as a backup seat, but never really had a reason to spend that money.

The last time I flew was 2 years ago, and 3 years before then.

I am travelling Thursday morning. Is there a recommended seat or travel system for cheap at US Walmart? My mother will be staying here with my kids, and there's a Walmart right before the border where she can pick it up, on her way in. Or even Target would work.

Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device

seb3244

The cosco next is $45 USD new at Walmart Hope this helps

Also you are very lucky your mom is coming to watch kids ( maybe your older kids?!) that's awesome if her

Safe travels to you and the baby. I would bring a cheap seat as well like others have mentioned. Oh also where are you going?

abemom2

I realize my signature doesn't show up since I'm on the phone. My mother is watching my older kids.

Is the NEXT available at the stores? Here, it's only online. And Walmart.com doesn't allow me to see anything, since I'm in Canada.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dillipop

I realize my signature doesn't show up since I'm on the phone. My mother is watching my older kids.

Is the NEXT available at the stores? Here, it's only online. And Walmart.com doesn't allow me to see anything, since I'm in Canada.
Posted via Mobile Device

The basic blackish color should be available in stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abemom2

Is there a way the Baby Trend car seat can work with the Chicco caddy? Someone here has one that was used for only 3 months for really cheap. That would be the easiest option for me. I'm not really looking to buy another stroller.

Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC