Are add-on strap pads safe?

calihannah

We switched DD to a Cosco Scenera for some traveling we're doing for the next month, and she's complaining about the straps rubbing against her neck (she's very articulate and is quite specific about what's bothering her). It appears that the Scenera's straps are set more closely together than her DC, and they are indeed rubbing her neck -- she has red lines after being in the car.

Question 1: is it safe to add strap covers/pads a la Britax?

Question 2: if it IS safe, which ones do you like, and where can I get them?

Thanks! :)

ADS

Shaunam

No, I wouldn't do it. I pull the child's shirt up on the neck a little, that usually helps.

This is what I do. I always pulled the sides of his shirt up for DS, but he learned recently to hold the sides up while I strap him in. I never thought to teach him to hold them up! I bet she could learn to hold them up at this age.

And no, the pads are not safe.

Lea_Ontario

The problem with add-on strap covers are that they haven't been tested with your particular seat. We don't know how they will affect the performance of the seat.

They *may* be safe.
They *may not* be safe.

We don't know.

And most child restraints say in the manual not to add on accessories that did not come with the seat. So, putting them on is going against manufacturer's directions.

skaterbabs

would it be bad to take a kids sock and cut the toe off and slip it on? just an idea.

Actually, that is one of the recommended "fixes." Just be sure it's a really THIN sock, not one of those thick athletic socks. You also want to use a baby sock over a kids' sock because the length is a concern.

calihannah

Actually, that is one of the recommended "fixes." Just be sure it's a really THIN sock, not one of those thick athletic socks. You also want to use a baby sock over a kids' sock because the length is a concern.

Who recommends this fix, and why is it a better option that a commercial pad (like off my Britax)? Thanks!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It is recommended by Child Passenger Safety Technicians, if you must have something not provided with the seat on the straps. It is better because it is so thin that there is not a risk of compression altering the performance of the seat like there is with pads from another seat (they have been tested to be ok with the seat they come with but NOT with another seat.)

I think some people have had success calling the company and being sold covers specifically tested with the Scenera. Some have been told no, though. Very confusing that some are told yes they are available and some are told no they're not, but worth a call to try.

Splash

If it goes completely around the strap, doesn't pinch or fold it in any way, doesn't in any way interefere with the strap, and isn't thick, it'll be fine. The Britax ones you have are an appropriate thickness. It hasn't necessarily been tested with your seat, but then again neither has a diaper or a fleece sweater, and both of those are fine to use as well.

calihannah

If it goes completely around the strap, doesn't pinch or fold it in any way, doesn't in any way interefere with the strap, and isn't thick, it'll be fine. The Britax ones you have are an appropriate thickness. It hasn't necessarily been tested with your seat, but then again neither has a diaper or a fleece sweater, and both of those are fine to use as well.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I was discussing this with DH after reading the responses here. It hasn't been tested with sweaters (not a bulky jacket of course, but just normal winter stuff), and we don't strip DD down to her undershirt in the winter.

I'm worried that if I don't do *something* it will make my driving less safe, which would be very bad. DD is saying "owie, too tight!" every couple of minutes and then starting to cry, which leads me to be distracted, and that *can't* be good. :mad:

calihannah

You might want to check how tight you have the harness. It only needs to pass the pinch test.:)

I know :( I even pulled over to check it the first time, and it's not too tight -- it just rubs her neck in a very sad way. We just have to deal with it until the middle of June, but we have some long car trips, daily errand running, and several long flights with the Scenera between now and then. Hmm...maybe the strap covers for the flights at least, since the main purpose then is restraint in turbulence, not crash protection...

Mama!

I always used little thin velcro strap covers. :p Granted I didn't know about this board, but the straps just tore into my kid's necks.:p I can't see how a little bitty thin cover is any different than a change in wardrobe from one day to the next :eek:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think the reason a baby sock is recommended and strap covers aren't is that baby socks are pretty universally thin and short; harness covers vary widely in length and thickness. Some are pretty safe, some are just not. So in this decision, if you know enough to guage what is safe, you can make that parental decision to decide what to use, since you have a problem with the rubbing. If you decide to follow the baby sock recommendation, great; if not, that's your choice, and if you feel confident, understanding what the risk is, that it's a nice thin one that is not long enough to interfere with proper placement, that's probably true. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC