HELP! What can I do with seat belt 88 Plymouth

D

Doug

Hi,

I just bought a used 88 Plymouth K car. I moved my son's car seat into it and it doesn't fit as well as it did in my 92 Topaz. I think the main reason why is the safety belt strap that comes out of the seat is longer and just a cloth strap, not stable like they make them now.

I tried to tie it in a knot, etc., and I have it in there pretty well but I feel like I could make it better. The added length makes it more slack on the one side and it kind of leans if I don't keep adjusting it.

Does anyone know if I can buy some kind of attachment or anything to correct this problem? I feel like it is pretty safe but I would feel terrible if something were to happen and it didn't hold up the way it should.

I think it is a Century car seat, I'm going to look in about 20 minutes, just found this site.

Also, I would gladly buy another car seat or accessories but I feel like this seat belt problem would still exist.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Let me see if I understand the problem. There are 2 parts to a seat belt--the latchplate (male end with the metal exposed) and the buckle (female) end that has the button you push to release the latchplate. You're saying that the buckle stalk is too long to secure the car seat? Does it come out of the back seat in front of the crack where the bottom cushion meets the back cushion (this space is called the bight) or does it come right from the bight?

Having a long buckle stalk can cause some problems. For instance, it can put the latchplate at such an angle on the car seat belt path that the seat belt won't stay tight.

What you should do is take the knot out of the seat belt. If your buckle stalk is indeed too long, you can twist it up to 6 times to shorten it without seriously compromising the safety of the belt. I would try that first.

Past that advice, it would be helpful to know exactly what kind of car seat it is, if the car seat is rear-facing or forward-facing, how old and what size your son is, and if you are installing the seat using a lap-only belt or a lap/shoulder belt. Once we know these things, we can offer more specific advice for you to try until you can get to a certified child passenger safety technician to help you with your install. There's a link called "Free Carseat Inspection" at the top of the screen where you can find a tech. Hope this gives you a place to start.:)

D

Doug

Yes, I'm talking about the female end. That was the problem, exactly what you said about the latchplate on an angle with the seat belt path. It was stretching too far, then where it connected was laying over where the seatbelt strap fastened through the back. It wasn't getting tight enough.

BUT, after reading on here yesterday I saw someone else say something about twisting the seat belt. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I twisted it up and now it really fits much better.

I think it is ok now but to answer your questions I think it is a COSCO. It is facing forward. My son just turned 1 but he is a big boy and is around 33 pounds.

I am using the middle lap belt only. I take it through the back of the seat.

I have a rolled up towel underneath the car seat for some support and then I have 2 towels rolled up resting behind the top of the carseat. This makes it pretty snug.

Thanks for the inspection link, I'll see if there is one near me. I'd like someone to give it as once over that knows what they are doing.

This site is great, thanks!!!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You'll need to remove the towels

Glad you were able to get some help here!

Nothing should be put under a forward-facing seat. Rolled towels can compress in a crash leaving the car seat loose and a loose car seat will move around the interior of a vehicle greatly increasing the likelihood that your child will be injured. The car seat should fit snugly without any extra materials under the seat. If not, we need to try different techniques to get it in tighter or try another seat. If you can't get the seat in snugly (moves less than 1" when you tug at the belt path), then try an outboard position. If there's a lap/shoulder belt there, you may get a different fit or perhaps there's a hump in the center of the back seat that may cause the seat not to fit securely.

D

Doug

Wow, I didn't know that. I'm almost sure I got that idea from the carseat directions.

The towel is toward the back underneath where the little plastic bar piece moves down to create support.

I don't think it is the carseat or anything, I just think it is the actual bench seat in the Plymouth. Like I said it is an older car and probably has lost a little firmness. Plus, I think it just kind of angles back that way.

I think I could take it out and it would still be ok but it is a snugger fit with it in.

I'll take it out and see what it looks like.

I'll also try to the side like you suggested. I'm not sure if there is a shoulder harness. Would I use that somehow if there is? I don't see how that part would fit through. I'll have to dig out the directions.

Can I post pics on here? If so I will try to take a picture of the setup.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Is it ok to have the towels behind the headrest? Because if I take those out, there will definitely be space(an inch or so) between the headrest and plymouth seat and I figured that would not be a good thing.

D

Doug

I found this on your site

Make Model Year CarNotes SeatBrand SeatName Installation Checked? comments user LATCH

Plymouth Reliant 1988 Cosco hbb hbb w/harness Passenger outboard. Great fit. Tethered. racerx93 No

Sorry that's probably going to be garbled when I post.

I think that is the seat I have and that is my car.

So that means I should put the seat on the side instead of the middle, right?

Thanks!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The lap/shoulder belt is all one unit, just like in the front seat (unless you have mechanized seat belts in the front) and it will fit through the belt path just like the lap-only belt does.

Yes, take all the towels out from behind the seat. You want to check for movement right at the belt path on the car seat; the top of the seat will move some.

The compatibility database where you got the information on your vehicle is nice in that it gives you an idea of where a seat might work. That person may have installed it outboard because s/he had other car seats to install in the back seat as well. It's just hard to tell from the entry. Cosco combo seats tend to install well in many cars, so if that's what your seat is, that's a good start.

Have you tried to locate a CPS tech to help you out locally? That's going to be your safest bet. If you're unsure of how to find someone, post back with your location (or email me if you don't want to list that) and I/we can help you find someone.

D

Doug

Thanks

Yes, I saw a couple near me. After I get it in better I might have them check it out to be sure.

I have a Century car seat. I see on your site, those aren't on your recommended list. I agree, I don't like how the shoulder harness adjustment works from the back. I think it is a little loose at times and I leave it alone because I don't want to mess with it. I'm probably going to get a new one. I got that one from my sister-in-law.

Thanks so much for your help and all the info on these sites. The manufacturer directions are lacking quite a bit. I'm glad I found this site, really got me thinking and I want my son to be safe.

Thanks!
Doug

D

Doug

OK, now I think I'm going to get a new seat

Wow, after reading all this info I think I"m going to get a new seat.

I had no idea there were so many different models.

Like I said, my son is big and looks like most of these seats top out at 40 lbs. He is only 1 and close to that already so I am thinking this is a good time to get a good one and have it for when he is older too. He is very active so I will need to keep him restrained for a while yet.

I feel like I have too much info now, ha-ha.

Because of the weight limits I'm looking at the Britax Husky or Eddie Bauer HBB. I'm thinking one of these will probably fit better in my car also. I'm looking at the Eddie Bauer more for the price though.

Both of those are good choices in your opinion, right?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The weight limit for the *harness* on the Eddie Bauer is only 40 lb. If you need a seat with a higher weight limit (and with a 40 lb 1-year-old, I'd recommend it), you're choices are the Safety Baby Airway (50 lb), the Britax Marathon (65 lb) or the Britax Husky (80 lb). The Husky is probably your best value for the money. It is a large seat, but if you only have to fit one seat in your vehicle, it should fit fine. It also cannot be used on an airplane. The Marahon *can* be used on planes, though.

D

Doug

Thanks

Thanks, I was also just looking at the Eddie Bauer models on Amazon.com and saw some negative reviews. I think I will go with the Britax Husky. I haven't really seen anything bad about them anywhere.

He is not 40 lbs but is about 32-33 lbs. Doesn't look like he is going to slow down growing anytime soon so I better get one now.

So on the Britax Husky I can use just a lap belt right? Like I said, this is an older car (88 Plymouth Reliant) and all I have are lap belts. No shoulder belts except in the front seat.

I'm a little worried about the fit because I don't have any of these tether/latch accessories in my car and am going to check some out in the store to see what's going on.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Re: Thanks

Doug said:
So on the Britax Husky I can use just a lap belt right? Like I said, this is an older car (88 Plymouth Reliant) and all I have are lap belts. No shoulder belts except in the front seat.

I'm a little worried about the fit because I don't have any of these tether/latch accessories in my car and am going to check some out in the store to see what's going on.

I totally forgot about your lap-belt-only situation when I wrote my response! The Husky must be tethered after 50 lb. Some older cars (e.g., my old '89 Camry) can be retrofitted with tether anchors. You won't be able to get lower LATCH anchors, but they wouldn't really help you with the Husky, because most LATCH anchors are "only" tested to 48 lb. If you cannot get top tether anchors installed in your Plymouth, then the Britax Marathon or soon to be released Britax Wizard are probably your best bet. They can be installed with a lap only belt and be used to 65 lb.

Also, most kids *do* slow down growing around age 1, so you may have more time than you think, although your child will still probably hit 40 lb sooner than "average."

D

Doug

OK

Thanks, I'll check out the Marathon and Wizard. I have no idea about getting tether anchors installed.

Thank for the help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC