Choosing a seat for Saturn wagon

K

KGB

Our 4-month old tall guy is ready for a convertible seat, and I am dizzy with information about LATCH, tethers, etc. We have a 2001 Saturn LW-200 (wagon) that is our primary car for child-moving, and also a 1991 Honda Civic hatchback (2-door). Ideally we'd like a seat that would fit in both.

Our Saturn has tether hooks in in the cargo area, but the owners manual says nothing about LATCH hooks in the seat (rear hooks).

The Civic lacks all such carseat technology. Can we get a kit to do some sort of tethering (once he's >1 year and can be forward facing)? Or just do a 100% job in installing with seat belts?

The Britax Roundabout seems to be the best pick. Can it fit into both? or should we get a second seat? Any recomendations for a cheaper second seat? our budget doesn't allow for 2 Britax...

Thanks for any help

ADS

groovymom2000

I loved my RA...

I used my RA with my DS from about 4 months until just now(he's 2.5). I traveled with it and really never had any problems fitting it into any car that I used. Contact your local Honda dealer to see if there are tether anchor points in your Civic(although there probably aren't). The RA can be used with the tether RF, and there are a few ways to do that...they are pretty clear in the manual and you could also get it checked out by a tech. Good luck...when I had my DS we literally picked the RA at random...we had no information about car seats at all, it just seemed the safest!
Beth

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
First, I don't think either vehicle has LATCH anchors. I know the Civic won't have lower anchors and I don't *think* the '01 Saturn would have them, either. Your vehicle manual should tell you for sure, but most manufacturers didn't really start including them until '02 or '03 model years.

The big issue with Saturns is the belts anchor front of the bight. This means that some seats won't fit well, and the instructions for some seats will prohibit installation in some positions (e.g., the Graco ComfortSport should not be installed in a lapbelt-only position). I have a '97 Saturn SW2 wagon, and I've been very pleased with the fit of Britax seats in that vehicle.

I don't know how big the LW-200 is compared to the SW2, but the SW2 has a fairly small back seat (we had more room in our old Camry). The Marathon does fit rear facing when it is fairly upright. However, if you need a great deal of recline for your infant, you may find that the Marathon would push the front seat forward too close to the airbag. There should be at least 10" between the airbag and the passenger/driver.

I would suggest going somewhere that will let you try before you buy or somewhere with a good return policy.

IIRC, Honda was ahead of the game on tether anchor locations, so your Civic may have anchor points, even if the hardware isn't yet installed. Check your owner's manual. Your local dealer should be able to install them (be sure to find out how much it will cost BEFORE, as I've heard of some pretty significant price gouging from some dealers), but you may have to educate them on the part number, etc. My '89 Camry did have anchor points, we just had to have the hardware installed. I would expect a '91 Honda to be the same.

Finally, on the issue of needing two seats or just one, it depends on how often you're child will be riding in the 2nd car. If he'll be in the Civic several times a week, the convenience of not having to reinstall the seat that often may be worth it to buy a second seat. If he'll only be riding once a month, there's probably no need. Right now, my family has 2 vehicles and one set of seats. My DH uses his car for commuting to work. He's only taken a child with him in his vehicle twice since we got it, and switching cars with a Britax seat is usually pretty simple. If you do want a 2nd, less expensive seat for the Civic, I suggest trying the Evenflo Triumph, the Graco ComfortSport or the Cosco Touriva.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC