40/60 seats??

M

momma2kai

I read a post on another parenting board about a person who had a Chevy Blazer. She stated that her vehicle manual said that a carseat should not be placed in the middle of the backseat because on that particular year, the seats were a 40/60 design meaning that there was a split in the seat where it folded down.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee right now and will soon be chaning to a Ford Explorer. Both of the back seats in these vehicles is a 40/60 split. My ds's carseat is currently in the middle. Do I need to move it to the side?? Will it need to be on the side in the Explorer??

TIA

ADS

bazanna

Senior Community Member
I have read a lot about this, I guess it can be quite a lively discussion depending on which car manufacturer you talk to.

As a general rule, whatever the car manufacturer says is OK, is OK. If Chevy says no and gives that as a reason, it doesn't mean the same reasoning applies to another manufacturer if they say it's OK. Also check with your carseat manufacturer.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
It definitely varies from vehicle to vehicle. The Honda Pilot, for example, has two 40/60 benches. It also has child seat tether anchors in all 6 seating positions on those benches and has LATCH anchors in two of those positions. Your best bet is to read the manual for any vehicle before installing a child seat in it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've read that Chevy disallows it because the seatbelt anchors are to close together...of course, your car manual and car seat manual would be the final authorities :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC