Need Help Installing our New Frontier!

AllieK

I am trying to install the Frontier in the rear passenger side of my 2010 Chevy Malibu using the lap-shoulder belt (DS is 41-42lbs now, so no more LATCH, right?)

I thought the whole ClickTight thing would make it easy but after installing it in my car the Frontier just doesn't feel secure. Even when I put my DS in the seat to test it, the Frontier wiggled around quite a bit (mostly front to back - side to side is probably less than 1" of movement). I've re-done the installation several times and it still feels loose to me. I've watched a handful of installation videos and read the manual several times but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

I called our local CPST and she will help me out for $85. If I can't get this figured out I will have her come help but I can't afford that until Friday.

ADS

nataliem257

I am trying to install the Frontier in the rear passenger side of my 2010 Chevy Malibu using the lap-shoulder belt (DS is 41-42lbs now, so no more LATCH, right?)

I thought the whole ClickTight thing would make it easy but after installing it in my car the Frontier just doesn't feel secure. Even when I put my DS in the seat to test it, the Frontier wiggled around quite a bit (mostly front to back - side to side is probably less than 1" of movement). I've re-done the installation several times and it still feels loose to me. I've watched a handful of installation videos and read the manual several times but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

I called our local CPST and she will help me out for $85. If I can't get this figured out I will have her come help but I can't afford that until Friday.

Are you pulling the slack out of the belt before you click it? That's the only way I can imagine not getting a tight install.

AllieK

The CT is usually pretty foolproof, can we see a picture or can you describe how you are installing it?

I should have thought to take pictures last night. I'm at work right now so I'll see if I can get some pictures up shortly.

I am running the lap & shoulder belt through the green path on the seat, buckling the seat belt, tightening the lap then shoulder belt and closing the ClickTight compartment.

Each time I have opened the ClickTight compartment to re-do the installation the seat belt isn't as tight as it was when I first did it (if that makes sense...) but I can't figure out how it get loose in there.

Brianna

Are you testing for movement only at the belt path? If you test at the front where the child's legs hang off it will move more than one inch.

tiggercat

Well the belt will be tighter with the click tight closed because the belts are under tension. So it should look loose-ish when it is opened.

Try playing with the recline setting, and see if there is any interference with your vehicle head restraint.

AllieK

Are you testing for movement only at the belt path? If you test at the front where the child's legs hang off it will move more than one inch.

I have been testing for movement by grabbing the armrests and wiggling, is that close enough to the belt path?

AllieK

Try playing with the recline setting, and see if there is any interference with your vehicle head restraint.

This is where I suspect the problem is. I do have the seat in the recline position so I might not be able to do that, I suppose. I tried to remove the car's headrest but it doesn't come off. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC