Cleaning out the SafeKids Trailer

brookity

Kegracin, my DH and I spent the afternoon cleaning out the trailer that belongs to our non-functioning SafeKids Coalition. It was practically abandoned a couple of years ago and was full of useless junk. Aside from the mass of outdated brochures and training manuals and random carseat parts, we found 2 brand new but long expired (in 2006!) AngelGuard carbeds, 1 brand new but expired Graco Cargo with no harness, and a brand new, sealed in the box but also expired Graco backless Turbo. There was an entire box of belt shortening clips. I confiscated one of them to put on my Harvey's purse :p. I also found a LATCH manual from 2001 and this mouse pad:
SAM_0049.jpg

There were also about a hundred foam squares that the local PD has been using the place of pool noodles. They are made of the same material but are more dense and don't compress as easily. We couldn't decide if they are appropriate to use. What do you all think? Here are a couple of pics.

SAM_0046.jpg

SAM_0045.jpg

Also there were five of these

SAM_0048.jpg

At first we couldn't didn't know what they were but later we figured it out.

It was kind of neat to see all of the old stuff but I was sad to throw out the brand new seats. It seems like such a waste of resources to have unused seats sitting around and never used.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The foam stuff is safe to use. Really, anything lightweight enough not to brain you that does the job is fine to use. The square foam is actually great in those cars with 483749879inches of space at the seat bight because they don't fall through.

canadiangie

How fun! Like looking through a time capsule, sort of. :)

What's the long black strap?

I had no idea there was a latch manual in 01.

What are you going to do with the BSC's?

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
The long black strap looks like the optional shoulder belt adjuster on the Evenflo Right Fit's. It actually worked pretty well as far as those things go, not like the one on the Big Kid that just slides down.

brookity

How fun! Like looking through a time capsule, sort of. :)

What's the long black strap? As pictured it is about 18 inches, fully extended its about 30 inches.

I had no idea there was a latch manual in 01.

What are you going to do with the BSC's? We are hoping to set upt a fitting station so we kept them but we will probably never use them!

It was fun but dirty and we recycled a small dumpster full of brochures.

mominabigtruck

The foam stuff is safe to use. Really, anything lightweight enough not to brain you that does the job is fine to use. The square foam is actually great in those cars with 483749879inches of space at the seat bight because they don't fall through.

My dad got me a boatload of foam pieces from work that are now sitting in my garage. They're square and a little bigger than a pool noodle and work great in captain's chairs. I'm not really sure what they're really for but they are squishy just like pool noodles but retain their shape better.

My kids use them outside as swords to wack each other in the head with too.
Posted via Mobile Device

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hahaha, looks like the collection of stuff I just pulled out of a box in my bedroom the other day (Lifesaver's stuff, shoulderbelt adjusters, and a dozen manuals and chest clips and locking clips and harness pads and LATCH books....ah, memories...)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC