Question Multi year road trip - How to keep babe safe?

couple2016

Hello!

I am needing some advice, suggestions, and maybe some opinions on what we should do as far as our car seat goes.

To start, this is our first baby, and is not due until November. We have months yet to plan, and have been brain storming options and doing lots of research.

When babe is around 4 months old, we are packing up and heading on a multi year journey through Central and South America - kid and dog in tow. The whole reason we decided to try for a kid now was because of the Zika Virus down south and we didn't want to put off trying for a family for years as that's what they're currently recommending with the uncertainty behind Zika. We are really excited for our little person to be joining us.

The first 4 months, we will have a bucket car seat and be using the LATCH system that is installed in my little hatch back car so that's not an issue at all. Then at 4 months we are leaving....

So, this is where I'm needing help. We are converting a 1991 Mitsubishi Delica (right hand drive) into a camper van. We are going to have a homemade bench seat that runs length wise down the van that converts into a bed, and it will have 3 seatbelts bolted to the frame from when my brothers come visit along the way.

I don't want to put baby sideways. I know this is a no go, so am trying to come up with other options. We are thinking at 4 months we will switch over to a convertible car seat, and forgo the bucket as I won't be carrying baby in anything that isn't attached to me through Central and South America.

My husband is a carpenter, and my father is a welder. I had an idea of bolting the car seat to the floor of the van using a self installed latch system. We have the ability to do this with the upper anchor as well. Planning to keep baby rear facing as long as possible. We are thinking of having multiple latch points, so when baby does turn to front facing, we will be able to continue having an upper anchor point. Babe would be right in the middle, behind our seats.

Worse comes to worse, I can sit in the backseat while the babe is in the front next to husband until we cross in Central America, but I'd like to come up with a viable option for the whole length of the trip. Plus, I honestly feel the back of the van would be safer, as the Delica doesn't have a nose on it (we are sitting on top of the engine and the wheels, so there is just a little metal between us and a head-on collision.

I know there will be some naysayers, and I'm opening to hearing opinions - but this trip is happening. With this vehicle. We just need to figure out a way to keep our kid safe and within the law of Canada and the States. Once we cross into Mexico, I don't think the police will care as much, but we still want to be safe ourselves.

Thank you in advanced! Looking forward to hearing what you're able to come up with ! :)

ADS

featherhead

Honestly, no one will be safe in the back of that van :(. Sideways seating is not safe, period. Also, I assume you will have all your luggage back there as well. If it is not all strapped down, that would be a huge projectile risk to anyone riding in the back. A car seat can only be installed on a vehicle seat. Bolting the car seat to the floor sounds super safe, but it could cause the car seat to fail, even break apart in a crash. In a crash the actual vehicle seat absorbs some of the force as well. Maybe someone else has some ideas for you, but I don't see any way you could have more than two passengers, and keep everyone safe in that vehicle.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The only thing I can possibly think of that would be almost safe is to install a vehicle seat, a real one, properly anchored and all, forward facing in the back, and have crash-worthy securements for EVERYTHING in the van. If it can't be secured in a way that would withstand thousands of pounds of force, it WILL be flying loose in a crash.

This is also the only legal way to secure a car seat in any country- properly installed on a forward facing properly anchored vehicle seat.

dogmelissa

If you have a bench seat with seatbelts, that actually meets transportation requirements, then just use one of the seatbelts to secure the car seat on the bench. Don't forget the top tether anchor point for when FF. I'm not sure what the requirements are for this in countries other than Canada, but it's always a good idea, imo.

I'd highly recommend a convertible seat anyways, but you'll need to be flexible to available options as baby grows and in the event of a crash or some other reason you might need to replace the seat. Depending on the expected size of baby at birth and your current car, you may be able to forgo the bucket seat altogether. From personal experience, a bucket seat is going to be a major pain to use in the backseat of a hatchback (if it's a 2 door).

Hope that helps,
Melissa
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC