Safety 1st - Comfy Carry Elite

autumnlily

So, I have one in my hot little hands! I called Dorel for more info and have a little more to share.

More Pics added in post #10

I have not taken the time to play with the installation of the seat.

My package material calls my front adjust Comfy Carry seat:
  • Comfy Carry Elite
  • it has a front harness adjuster (the rep wasn't clear, but I believe that is what constitutes it as "elite")
  • My manual mentioned something about a recline foot on select models. My Comfy Carry Elite does NOT have a recline foot. I called Dorel and was told that the Comfy Carry Elite PLUS will have a recline foot and that will be the only difference between the two seats (the recline foot). ETA is March 2011 for the Plus model.
  • I am not sure if the basic Comfy Carry will have a PLUS version or not (if it did - that would be a back harness adjuster with a base that has a recline foot) :confused:

I'm not certain of the retail breakdown prices between the Comfy Carry, Comfy Carry Elite and Comfy Carry Elite PLUS.

Stated Limits:
Weight Range: 4-22lbs
Height Range: 29 inches or less (manual does not have an instruction regarding 1" top of shell requirement)

Measurements (taken with a soft tape measure - when in doubt I went to the next .25"):
Lowest Harness Height: 5.25 in
Highest Harness Height: 11.25 in
Shortest Buckle Position: 3.25 in
Longest Buckle Position: 6.25 in (there is a middle slot at 4.75 in)
Crotch Buckle Length: 4.5 in.
Internal Seating Depth: 11.5 in
Internal Seating Height: 18.75 in
Internal Bottom Width: 10.75 in
Base Length: 21 in
Base Width: 14.25 in
External Seat Width: 17 in (from edge of handle adjuster to handle adjuster)
Seat Weight: (best estimate) under 7lbs for the carrier alone (shipping weight with base in a Cosco Scenera box was 12.6lbs)

Other Information:
Lock-offs Provided: No Lock-offs
Seat Modes: With/Without Base
Expiration Limit: 6 yrs (Do Not Use date stamped on the seat is only a year (does not clarify month))
Allowed Handle Positions in Vehicle: Any locked position.

Comments:
  • There is only a marked line on the shell to determine angle of seat
  • use of a pool noodle or tightly rolled towel is allowed when seat is installed without the base and with the base *as long as the recline foot is NOT in use*
  • I don't have a preemie training doll to test with - but I believe it will fit a tiny baby very well and hope that the shorter buckle position and length will not ride too high on the smallest of the babies (I know the length of the buckle on the Graco Snugride 30 has posed some questions regarding this)
  • Added:There are instructions for buckle adjustment for smaller babies... it is the same adustment allowed by OnBoard infant seats!

LastRoll01-vi.jpg
LastRoll02-vi.jpg

LastRoll03-vi.jpg
LastRoll06-vi.jpg

LastRoll11-vi.jpg
LastRoll12-vi.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

MomToEliEm

Thanks for all that great info. Hopefully I will get the info updated soon in the Carseat Features and Data forum.

Does anyone know if this seat is released to the public yet? I can't seem to find it on Amazon or Babies R Us sites, or even on the Safety 1st website.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Thanks for the photos - I'm disappointed that apparently there will now be 3 different versions and that 2 of the 3 will have a base that doesn't have a recline feature.

At ABC, Dorel told us there will be a basic $59 model (with rear adjuster, no head-hugger insert and no recline on the base) and then a $79 "Elite" model with front adjuster AND splitter plate (an important distiction since their Designer 22 with front adjuster didn't have a splitter plate), head-hugger and base *with* recline. All versions are supposed to be rated from 4 lbs and will have standard metal buckles (instead of those plastic compound buckles).

I still think this could be a great "program seat" but I won't be recommending it as such until I see a base with recline. Thanks again for the photos!

Kobain's Mommy

How much room does it take up front to back with the base? Looks like it would take up more room because of those bumps on the base.

autumnlily

Thanks for the photos - I'm disappointed that apparently there will now be 3 different versions and that 2 of the 3 will have a base that doesn't have a recline feature.

At ABC, Dorel told us there will be a basic $59 model (with rear adjuster, no head-hugger insert and no recline on the base) and then a $79 "Elite" model with front adjuster AND splitter plate (an important distiction since their Designer 22 with front adjuster didn't have a splitter plate), head-hugger and base *with* recline. All versions are supposed to be rated from 4 lbs and will have standard metal buckles (instead of those plastic compound buckles).

I still think this could be a great "program seat" but I won't be recommending it as such until I see a base with recline. Thanks again for the photos!

Thankfully it does have a splitter plate (double). It was very easy to adjust the the straps. I too was shocked when I found out that the Elite did not have the recline foot :thumbsdown:

How much room does it take up front to back with the base? Looks like it would take up more room because of those bumps on the base.

I have a KeyFit and OnBoard 35 Air... I can take some comparison shots (first uninstalled and when I have a moment to escape outside... installed). I have to pull the OnBoard out... but I recall the foot of the base looking somewhat similar. However, I too thought that the seat would rest over the foot of the base and cover the odd bumps instead of being so far set back. It IS odd looking! I can't wait to try a locking shoulder belt install and see if it is less "tippy" than other non-lock-off bases.

Kat_Momof3

I think this needs to go on the blog!

and is there a reason for the base's design (though I do think that it will provide more leg room, which parents may like)

cookie123

It would seem difficult to get a good install with a pointed base. And without a recline foot, to balance that on a pool noodle might be tricky.

Kat_Momof3

I wonder how bad the rear adjust is (since this is otherwise a seat that would be great to recommend to first time moms/moms of multiples on a budget

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Does it snap into the OnBoard base? (apologies if I missed that detail, I just browsed this thread quickly :eek:)

autumnlily

Does it snap into the OnBoard base? (apologies if I missed that detail, I just browsed this thread quickly :eek:)

Nope :eek:

The OnBoard has a metal clamp on each side and the Comfy Elite attaches in one space near the center (see the funny little metal prongs on the Elite base). It's one of the first things I tried.

autumnlily

I wonder how bad the rear adjust is (since this is otherwise a seat that would be great to recommend to first time moms/moms of multiples on a budget

I will try to swing by Target today and take a peek... hopefully they will have one in stock like Cryssy Jane (we are both on the West Coast).

But, if the Elite is either $69.99 or $79.99 for a front adjust that is pretty reasonable two :). For multiples, I wonder if Safety 1st has a double snap n go yet?/

cookie123

Okay, I see now the base has the point on both sides and it's rounded. I missed that before. Still saying - the base looks cheap.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Interesting. I am a little jealous that you have it. Maybe you could plan to be at the playdaye? ;)

Kat_Momof3

I will try to swing by Target today and take a peek... hopefully they will have one in stock like Cryssy Jane (we are both on the West Coast).

But, if the Elite is either $69.99 or $79.99 for a front adjust that is pretty reasonable two :). For multiples, I wonder if Safety 1st has a double snap n go yet?/

I agree.. but some people are scrounging every penny for that 50 dollar one... and if Cosco is going to insist on churning out seats with rear-adjust harnesses, they need to up their game and make it easier to use than the only other ones... Graco.

Cryssy Jane

Just a heads up. My nearest target had one on display but didn't have any in stock yet. The next closest target didn't have any period. The manager I talked to at the first said they were re-doing all of their baby stuff and all should be set up by January 25th.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC