ok. my current low down...

didymama

properly measured DS1 and shoulder height is 15 1/2". he is right at 40/40. i really don't trust him in the turbo booster, but tried him in the 3-in-1 as a booster (straps were yucky-used a scrub brish and simple green) and he was ok but i will NEVER get him buckled with the other car seats back there. thinking of harnessing until i get Radian. he does get pretty crazy sometimes, so i am leary of anything non-harnessed. had to switch seats since he figured out the chest clip. he fits well in the eddie bauer 3-in-1 thank goodness. might hand down to DS2 when the radian comes. rough width of 3-in-1 is 17 1/2"

also, why on earth did Graco widen their bases??? the one that i tossed was nice and narrow but my newer ones have obnoxious wings on them :eek:. so hope they fit. i have to uninstall everything tomorrow and reinstall-got my new seat belt and it is shiney:D

ADS

abacus2

You need new harness straps now! Harness straps are generally only allowed to be spot cleaned and never washed/dried/ironed/cleaned with harsh cleaners. Also look at your manual; some of the 3-in-1's have a crazy rule that you can't use the top slot for harnessing so if your using the top setting it may not be safe with your seat. Also all the 3-in-1's available have a 40 lb weight limit for harness use, so if you want to continue to harness you'll need to get a higher weight seat right away.

scatterbunny

Ditto what Liz said. You can't safely use the harness straps due to the way you cleaned them, and your ds is at the weight limit for that seat as well. On top of that, double-check what headrest/harness position you have the seat adjusted to. The top setting is ONLY for booster mode. It's very unusual for a 40 inch tall child to still fit (shoulders below top slots) in that seat with the headrest/harness adjusted to the highest useable setting. As a matter of fact, with his 15.5 inch torso, I can gaurantee he isn't fitting in that seat safely. His shoulders will be over the top slots.

didymama

his shoulders aren't over the top slots. they are right at the second from top setting. i dilute simple green 1/3 SG 2/3 h2o. i can use this as a booster, but trying to stretch until Radian or the like. only a few more weeks. less maybe. i emailed dorel juvinile group for a new manual. no idea where my old one went and there is nothing stating on the seat about the top position for booster only.

didymama

if i do this myself i have $239 to spend on a car seat (exact amount of CS check that i get on monday). i would prefer to buyin person so i can go out and try first. there are 2 stores near me that sell Radians. i don't really want to hold out much longer and if i get one for christmas i can use the one i got for my middle son. i REALLY love the low profile of it-easy to get a carrier in. i will make some calls right now and see-i pray they have one.

didymama

i called a local store and he has one-the floor model (no box, but has the manual and such) and will take 20%off. very reputable store here, other wise i would have said thanks-but no thanks. it is the 65, not the 80. just hope i don't go into labor before monday!!!

LuvBug

I would recommend not buying the floor model. It is another no-no since you can not know for sure people havent been too rough with it.
I would go and try it first and then we can help you find the best price. What would that one be after the 20% off?

didymama

$175. anyother place i would definately NOT buy a floor model, but this store is extremely careful about what they sell. this is also where i do my christmas shopping for the boys because they don't sell junk. i don't have much $$, but would go here over target/BRU and such anyday because they believe in what they sell and stand by it-so rare these days. i have gotten most of my baby stuff there (most as floor or discontinued models) and they have been immaculate. i also won't buy online because i had a company swipe my info recently. just prefer to do everything in person.

I'd probably buy the floor model, as long as I knew that the store didn't allow it to be taken off the premises beforehand. When you buy online, you never know for sure what you're getting either. It does help a lot if you know the owner and can trust what she tells you about the history of the seat.

LuvBug

You can get one online for 179.99 with free shipping and no tax from a few very reputable baby stores that wouldnt swipe your information.
These are the things I would ask myself when considering this seat. Is she the only person who works in the store? Can she guaruntee you 100% that she has watched every person that has played with the seat? It isnt about whether she takes good care, its whether the customer did or not. What if while she was getting something from the back one of the customers tried to pick it up and dropped it and quickly put it back and didnt tell her? Can she promise that nothing has ever happened to it and can you trust her with your child's life?
That is what I ask myself every time I look at a carseat to buy. Since the carseat is for protecting your child's life it is essentially their life you are intrusting in others(the carseat company, the shipping company, the retailer, or other customers).
Im just very overly cautious about things, I always consider the worst possibility and if I cant confirm it did not happen then I leave it for another. I do not know this woman or the store so from my perspective I am skeptical, it is nothing personal- its my nature, I want every child to be as safe as possible. It is your choice though since you say you know them. I just want to make sure that you dont get a seat with an iffy past, just incase.

Last edited:

didymama

i don't have anyway of paying online. i chose not to get a new debit car since i am not the best with money anyway. this way i have to go to the bank and budget better. don't regret that choice at all. if i really have to get something from an online company i find out thier info and mail a check or money order.

also, my cousin used to work at FedEx and you'd be amazed how boxes get tossed around. i think there could be more damage just there than anything. at least if it is going right to a store they are ususally neatly packed so they can fit more and wrapped in plastic on a pallet in bulk.

LuvBug

yes fedex and UPS can be awful with their packages, that is why if there is any damage to the box you return it until it comes back right. The boxes are cardboard, so it will be easy to tell the seat was mishandled.
I just wanted you to think about that and really make sure you know it has been treated proper before you buy it. Its better safe than sorry, know what I mean?

(or annoying, than sorry lol!)

abacus2

It doesn't matter that you dilute the Simple Green, harness straps are never to be in water or scrubbed with cleaner. You need new straps to use that car seat; call the manufacturer, they can tell you this and help you order new harness straps (maybe ~$8).

didymama

i am getting a NEW seat in 2 days. if i ordered new straps they would take longer than that to come in. i'm not stressing over the straps. this seat will most likely be retired since i plan on getting all new stuff with christmas and taxes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC