Toyota 4 Runner..suggestion?

U

Unregistered

Hi-
We have a 2002 toyota 4runner and have experienced great difficulty finding a car seat that fits properly. We are looking for a recommendation (for a convertible seat..rear facing for our 5 month old..she's going to be tall!).

Any thoughts?

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Can you give us some more info.?

What problems are you having with fit? Too loose? Touches the front seats? Tilts when installed? Not enough angle?

Sometimes what appears to be a difficult problem can be fixed with an easy trick and knowing the above info., plus any more you think necessary, can help us identify the problem and give a suggestion.

Have you tried looking up your 4Runner in the compatibility database? There's a link at the top of the page and that may be a good starting point.

U

Unregistered

Toyota issues

Hi-
Actually- the toyota back seat doesn't have any give..so the base seems to just sit within the seat itself (not the proper angle). The seat appears to only fit in the middle of the back seat also..and it really not fitting in tight. (we got the cosco alpha omega). I checked out the database- but didn't see much recent postings.

I am going to try to find a place that sells seats with a certified tech. to help me get it in the car. We spent 2 hours yesterday goofing with it and are just frustrated.

Thanks!..

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I have a RAV4 with similarly hard seats.

And I really hate installing seats in that suv. The tricks I've found that give me a good install within 5 minutes or so are:

1. Recline the rear seats. I don't know if the 4Runner seats recline at all, but the RAV seats do. I recline them, get the seat in as tight as I can (it still moves), then put them back straight upright. The seat is in rock-solid.

2. Twist the female end (buckle) of the seat belt. I've found that the Toyota buckle stalks seem to be fairly long and they put the buckle right at the point in the belt path of the car seat where it interferes with getting a tight fit. You can twist up to 6 times, but likely will only be able to do 3 at most.

3. I stand on the seat and brace my back against the ceiling, then push down with my legs as I tighten the seat belt. This is definitely easier with 2 people. Rocking side-to-side or bouncing can help as you tighten the belt.

I'm also going to guess that the base of the AO is interfering with the install since it's so big. Try taking the base off and that will probably help a great deal.

Also, use a pool noodle or tightly rolled towel to help with the angle. Put it in the 4Runner seat bight--the crack where the back cushion meets the seat cushion. You may need to use more than 1 to get a good angle. Since your daughter is older, she doesn't have to be at the 45 degree angle that's recommended for newborns. Just pick a good recline that's comfortable for her and allows her to sleep without her head falling forward.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC