Question 3 in 2001 Honda Civic

U

Unregistered

I have 3 and a half year old twins. They both weigh 35 lbs and are about 38 inches tall. I am pregnant with our third child. We would like to put off buying a new car if possible.

We currently have two Britax Marathons. There is very little room between the two car seats.
I know that we will have to buy new car seats for the twins because there is absolutely no way to fit any car seat between the Marathons in the a 2001 Civic.

We have a Graco Snugride for the baby.

Does any one know what we can do to make three car seats fit?

A friend suggested trying some configuration of Radian, Radian, Snugride. What do you think?

Thanks!
Rachel

ADS

crunchierthanthou

A friend suggested trying some configuration of Radian, Radian, Snugride. What do you think?

If anything works, it would probably be that. You may also be able to get away with just one Radian, depending on how they puzzle. Is there any store near you that has them in stock where you could try them? If not, I think elitecarseats is offering $1 return shipping insurance right now, or you could order them from Target and return in-store if they don't work.

good luck :)

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the info!

There is a USA Baby in town. I've heard that they'll let us try the car seats there.

If they don't, I will order them from Target. My husband works there, so we'll get a 10% discount!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'd try one Radian for starters. (My sister had an '01 Civic and let me play with carseats in it.) Put it in the center. You might actually get a better fit with a Marathon next to it than with another Radian, though I think they take up about the same amount of room. It would save you buying a second Radian, though.

Pixels

I think one Radian forward facing center, Marathon forward facing outboard will be your best bet.

Let me know if you need some tips to get the Radian installed. It can be tricky but once you get it figured out, it's not bad. I have a Radian and a 2002 Civic, which is the same as the 01.

Murphy's Law

I have a 2002 civic and have yet to fit 3 across in it, but I have not tried 3 Radians or a snugride. I can fit 2 Radians next to eachother if one is RF and one is FF, but that back seat is extremely tight. It's possible she'll have to go with 3 radians from the start, but if another configuration works I'd love to know about it!

Defrost

I have a 2002 civic and have yet to fit 3 across in it, but I have not tried 3 Radians or a snugride. I can fit 2 Radians next to eachother if one is RF and one is FF, but that back seat is extremely tight. It's possible she'll have to go with 3 radians from the start, but if another configuration works I'd love to know about it!

This is my sister's old '01 Civic 4-door. There was *just* enough room to buckle the boosters and close the doors. Every time I've put a TB next to a Radian, I've been able to fit a MA there if it's facing the same direction as the Radian, so even though we didn't try it, I'd think it would work. Possibly the OP could fit a FF MA, FF RN, and one of the narrow infant seats (Keyfit?)

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

Murphy's Law

Thanks Debbie. I couldn't even get two RNs and a high back Turbo in my car. Couldn't shut the door! It's not so much the width of the back seat, but the curve that the edges of the back seat have. It's hard under the fabric, doesn't give at all. Was the 01 made like that? I love my civic for every other reason, but that blasted back seat has really made it difficult for me to fit more than my 2 kids. Hopefully the 01 has a wee bit more give to it.

Defrost

Yeah, my pics don't show it very well, but if you look at the edges you can see the vehicle seat backs have a contouring that made for difficult fit, plus the boosters have some overhang at the edge of the seat bottom as well.

Definitely not a fun car for 3-across.

U

Unregistered

Yeah, my pics don't show it very well, but if you look at the edges you can see the vehicle seat backs have a contouring that made for difficult fit, plus the boosters have some overhang at the edge of the seat bottom as well.

Definitely not a fun car for 3-across.

I thought all graco seats the base has to be fully on the car seats? No over hang?

mburks26

No, just the Nautilus.

Wendy

pg 24 of turbo booster book states the booster seat can not hang off the vechilce seat.

I know the cargo has that same rule so does the Nautilus. When I was first looking for a new seat for my dd all Graco seats but one said it could not hang off

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
pg 24 of turbo booster book states the booster seat can not hang off the vechilce seat.

I know the cargo has that same rule so does the Nautilus. When I was first looking for a new seat for my dd all Graco seats but one said it could not hang off

Ah, thanks! Learned something new today.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC