Changing from convertible seat

Angie

At what point do you change from convertible to a harnessed booster? Is there an age or size recommendation?
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
There is no safety difference between a harnessed booster used with the 5-pt harness and a forward-facing convertible seat. As long as the child meets the minimum age, height and weight requirements for the particular harnessed booster (combination seat), s/he can use a harnessed booster with the 5-pt harness as soon as s/he is big enough and old enough to forward-face (minimum of 2 years old and 20 lbs -- as close to 4 years old as possible).

When he or she is ready to use a harnessed booster as a belt-positioning booster (without the harness) is usually not until the child is at least 5 years old, preferably at least 40 lbs, and mature enough to stay in position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angie

There is no safety difference between a harnessed booster used with the 5-pt harness and a forward-facing convertible seat. As long as the child meets the minimum age, height and weight requirements for the particular harnessed booster (combination seat), s/he can use a harnessed booster with the 5-pt harness as soon as s/he is big enough and old enough to forward-face (minimum of 2 years old and 20 lbs -- as close to 4 years old as possible).

When he or she is ready to use a harnessed booster as a belt-positioning booster (without the harness) is usually not until the child is at least 5 years old, preferably at least 40 lbs, and mature enough to stay in position.

Thank you SO much. Any suggestions on lightweight ones that are easy to install?
Posted via Mobile Device

AllieK

Maestro is a good seat, although I've hears it said that it's outgrown as a booster at the same time it's outgrown as a harnessed seat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Securekid is fairly lightweight -- I find it easy to lift and carry around. If your child is under 50 lbs, you can take advantage of the "SureLatch" connectors on the DLX model.

Angie

She's 2.5 but 33 pounds and roughly 36".

Her usual seat is a NextFit. Her 2nd seat is an evenflo Sureride. That seat is what I take on trips (flights and rental cars). But I find it ear impossible to install correctly myself at the airport. As much as I hate to say this I think I've installed it wrong the last 3 trips...at least long enough to get to my moms and have my dad help me. I think once I didn't get a chance to help me til a few days later.

So I swore I am never doing that again. I definitely know better. But at the time what choices did I have? Not many. I think it's the old style latch that frustrates me. I can't pull it tight enough no matter how much leverage I have. And then when I'm uninstalling I can hardly get it loose to remove.

I was hoping a harnessed booster would be lighter too but at this point I need something that's not any heavier but way easier to install.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Have you tried installing it with the seatbelt instead? I totally know what you mean about the hook-style LATCH connectors.

I think the Maestro is about the same weight as the SureRide, but it also has hook-style connectors, so I don't know how easy the installation would be.

The SecureKid DLX would be much easier to install, but it is about 5 lbs heavier than the SureRide.

The IMMI Go is only 11 lbs and folds up into its own carry bag. I hear it is easy to install and use. However, it requires a top tether, so you can't use it on the plane. If your toddler used a CARES harness on the plane, though, then that would probably be an ideal combo. Expensive, though -- the Go is $200 and I think the CARES is another $70 or so. Yikes.

I think my first recommendation would be to practice with the SureRide and try out the seatbelt install if you haven't already. Maybe make an appt with a tech who can help you troubleshoot the difficulties you are having?

My second recommendation would be the SecureKid.

If money is no object, then I think the Go/CARES combo would be a great fit too.

Angie

Have you tried installing it with the seatbelt instead? I totally know what you mean about the hook-style LATCH connectors.

I think the Maestro is about the same weight as the SureRide, but it also has hook-style connectors, so I don't know how easy the installation would be.

The SecureKid DLX would be much easier to install, but it is about 5 lbs heavier than the SureRide.

The IMMI Go is only 11 lbs and folds up into its own carry bag. I hear it is easy to install and use. However, it requires a top tether, so you can't use it on the plane. If your toddler used a CARES harness on the plane, though, then that would probably be an ideal combo. Expensive, though -- the Go is $200 and I think the CARES is another $70 or so. Yikes.

I think my first recommendation would be to practice with the SureRide and try out the seatbelt install if you haven't already. Maybe make an appt with a tech who can help you troubleshoot the difficulties you are having?

My second recommendation would be the SecureKid.

If money is no object, then I think the Go/CARES combo would be a great fit too.

I didn't even think about the seatbelt way. Probably because we're talking about installing in rental vehicles so that, in and of itself, always adds to my anxiety because I have to do it by myself, quick, and correct. Since I never tried it in our own vehicles I didn't think to try it in a rental. I mean, I know how it should go since I do the seatbelt path on the plane and all. That's a good point that I didn't really think to do... how dumb of me.

I will say though, the first incorrect installation was rearfacing at too steep of an angle because I neglected to bring a towel or noodle section or whatever.

The other time (actually it might have been 2) I could just not pull those latch straps tight enough to save my life. The weren't super loose, just a bit too much travel at the belt. It was still rearfacing those two times and I could never figure out how to shove the seat into the crack of the back seat and pull the strap all at the same time.

Now that she's forward facing, I may not have so much trouble. BUT I don't want to find that out with another time of not getting it installed correctly. Since we're looking at flying again in April, and it's not like we're talking about $300 seats here, I think I'd rather just buy something else that is considerably easier to install.

Heck, if Chicco made a harnessed booster I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I love her Nextfit and I get that installed in my car in no time at all.

I asked about the CARES harness on this forum last time we flew and I got a resounding no, so I never gave it another thought.

Angie

I think I might be sold on a KidSecure. According to the site where I bought the Sureride it's 13 pounds. The KidSecure says 14 pounds on a site where I may purchase from. The DLX comes with Surelatch which is described this way:

SureLatch® technology lets you “Click, Click, Push" for a super-fast and super-snug installation in under a minute.

VERY appealing. I dunno why they can't sell me that Latch strap for my Sureride. :( ANYWAYS...can anyone explain what they mean by click and PUSH!?! Wouldn't it be pull - pulling a strap? I need videos...off to see if there are any.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
So, the SureLatch connectors are totally different than other LATCH connectors. Essentially the LATCH strap on the SecureKid DLX is like a locking seatbelt that extends and retracts freely and then is "activated" into locking mode when you click the connectors onto the lower anchors. Then when you push it down and back into the seat bite, you hear it click as it ratchets in.

Now, I will say that my personal experience is that you need more than one push. Like, I put a knee in it and push. Then step back and wiggle. Then push it again kind of at each connector individually. Then step back and wiggle, and then maybe push one more time and it's motionless. So it's a super secure connection, easier to push on a seat than pull on a belt, and quite fast, but not with just one push. To be fair, though, I always have to yank on the second strap of the NextFit a few times too.

Don't forget the top tether!

The Snuggli branded version of the SecureKid (sold only at Amazon, I think) is a bit more expensive (and maybe heavier? It has memory foam and Outlast technology fabric for temperature regulation) but it has an indicator that shows you when the tether is tight enough. I found this to be pretty helpful and it encouraged me to get the tether much tighter than I would have expected to be necessary. (My kids are both still rear-facing, so I have really only ever done rear-facing tethering of my Britax seats, which isn't supposed to be nearly as tight as a FF tether.)

Last edited:

Angie

Have you used the Snugli version? Tempting with that fabric. The reviews complain about the headrest pushing the child's head forward, uncomfortably so. Wondering if there is truth to that. Did the SecureKid Platinum get rebranded as the Snugli version? I looked all over the Internet for the platinum version of the SecureKid but couldn't find anywhere that sold it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I think the Platinum is only in Canada now.

I didn't put any kids in the Snugli seat. I bought it open box "like new" but it was clearly used. So I returned it, but before I did I tried out the install a couple times in my car for funsies. I didn't notice the headrest issue being significantly different than the regular SecureKid, but I don't know for sure.

Angie

I want to sincerely thank you in helping me decide on the SecureKid. I LOVE the latch connectors on the DLX model. This click click push thing is a MILLION times easier for me...I got it secure in hubby's truck in all of 5 seconds (ok maybe more than that but you know what I mean).

LOVE it. It is a little heavier than the Sureride, but I think it'll be worth it.

I still may be buying a Cares harness for an upcoming Disney trip where I won't want to haul the car seat after landing. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC