Successful Three Across thread

lillpistol

2007 Chevy Aveo

FF Radian 65 - Drivers Side
RF Screana - Middle
FF Radian 80 - Passanger Side

All installed with seatbelts.

I am not a tech and I haven't had them checked, but these seats are all independantly tight. I know that the manual says you there isn't room for 3 seats in back, but it worked fine for me, I had easy access to all seat belts. I installed the screana first. Had to use a rolled towel. I am not sure that you could get the proper 45 degree angle with a tall driver. My son is 8 months so I installed the seat a little more upright. I really wanted to put a RF Radian, but my DH is tall, and there was no way that was going to fit with him driving. None of them touch the doors. All seats installed pretty easily. I did have to remove the headrests behind the radians.

DSC_6118.jpg

DSC_6119.jpg

ADS

agurlsride

Not the greatest pic but 3 across in an '03 Kia Sedona 40/60 split short base.

Parkway, FF'ing MA, Parkway...REALLY, REALLY tight fit.

Last edited:

skipspin

Chevy Traverse (Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia) *third row*

Rfing Coccoro (drivers side ob), RA worked too, but VERY tight.
Safeguard Go, harnessed
Any other "average seat" (Parkway, Radian, my DH, RA, etc)

There is one TA in the center for the Go. Pictures to follow in a few days.

Misty-Bug

1996 Ford Taurus station wagon.

From drivers side to passenger side. All seatbelt installed

FFing Nautilus, FFing Radian, RFing True fit

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Had a bit of an adventure this morning that necessitated a 3-across in a (rental) 2-door Honda Civic. Guessing 2009, but if not I would say 2008 at the earliest. Every 3 across I could find on here included a Radian, which I don't have... but somehow I made it work with:

Graco Airbooster without back/RF MR/RF Scenera, driver to passenger, all seatbelt installed.

The Airbooster almost fit with the back, but it turned it funky and the child fit the belt without, so that seemed safer. The MR lips over the Scenera almost perfectly, which provides just enough room to sneak the Ab in there.

Buckling was a complete PITA (nearly impossible,) and getting the babe in the Scenera was no picnic either, so I absolutely would not recommend this as an everyday solution, but in a pinch/emergency (which this was,) it was the best option I could come up with. Had tons of driver room, and the passenger had to be up a bit but not eating the dash, either.

I took a cell phone pic, not great but I'll edit it in later. Non-tech checked.

JOII

2003 Trailblazer

Each outboard seat can install with either LATCH or seatbelt, both work well.
All seats top tethered as needed
Seats independently installed with appropriate tightness (NO movement).
Not checked by tech.
The Mia Moda Viva has since been totally recalled, but I am including info in case it comes back out.

RF Mia Moda Viva/FF Radian/RF Marathon

RF SR32/FF Nautilus/RF Radian (in this one if you put the SR32 on the cup holder side of the Nautilus it will be rendered useless as the round part of the SR32 handle sat directly over top of it. Im sure that matters to someone :))

RF SR32/FF RNXT/RF Radian

RF MA/RF RNXT/Recaro Vivo (its a knuckle smasher buckling the vivo and you also have to be very careful not to unbuckle the center seat buckle)

I can add pics at a later time.

Last edited:

musicmaj

1999 buick century

outboard fpsv nbb
middle ff scenera or radian
outboard fpsv nbb or cosco high rise

I have two parkways that I can not use in this car due to the fact that my older two are on the highest and next highest settings and the headrests hit the ceiling. If my kids were younger/shorter torso the parkways would work just fine. Unfortunately, now I have to put them in no back boosters and worry about there not being enough head support for my oldest.

Not checked by tech.

Blondie87

2000 Toyota Avalon- All seatbelt installs.

FF Graco Nautilus, RF Radian XT, RF Britax Boulevard
6140_200687985245_650315245_7496-2.jpg

FF Britax Regent, RF Radian XT, RF Britax Boulevard
IMG_3392-2.jpg

FF Britax Frontier, RF Radian XT, RF Britax Marathon
IMG_3174-1.jpg

RF Chicco Keyfit 30, FF Radian XT, RF Britax Marathon
IMG_3235-1.jpg

FF Radian XT, RF Chicco Keyfit 30, RF Britax Marathon

RF Britax Boulevard, FF Radian XT, RF Britax Marathon
IMG_3150-3.jpg

RF Britax Boulevard, RF Radian XT, RF Britax Marathon
10124_249325680245_650315245_866017.jpg

Recaro Vivo, RF Chicco Keyfit 30, RF Radian XT
4407_170428640245_650315245_6777513.jpg

Pretty much ANY seat will fit next to a RF RN XT (center) and RF MA/BLVD. And MOST of the configurations were checked/seen by a technician (Judi).

Last edited:

oxeye

My three latest 3 across configurations (and I'm a tech):

2004 VW Passat

RF Radian (LATCH)
RF Radian (seatbelt)
FF Radian (LATCH)

RF Radian (LATCH)
FF Radian (seatbelt)
RF Coccoro (seatbelt, but LATCH would work as well)

RF Radian (LATCH)
RF Coccoro (Seatbelt)
FF Radian (LATCH)

Pic of the last configuration -

CIMG5971.jpg

abacus2

My three across scenerios, obviously all with belts:

1997 Intrepid:
Every combination that I tried (I can't even remember them all), RFing or FFing, of Decathlon, FPSVD, Snugride, older Triumph, or Touriva. Locking clips (or the lock-offs) were required to keep my belts tight, even with the flip the latchplate trick, for all of the installs I tried. The Snugride is a little tricky to get into its base when installed passenger side next to a FFing Decathlon.

The Graco Nautilus, while it shockingly has a belt path that holds the belt at the correct angle so the locking mechanism actually works, will definitely NOT fit outboard next to a RFing Decathlon/FPSVD, that arrangement doesn't even come close to working.

1998 2 door Chevy Cavalier
I've never actually put 3 across in this car, but I was able to install a RFing Touriva passenger outboard with a FFing FPSVD center. There was room for another narrow seat like the Touriva or a narrow booster driver's side outboard.

Quoting my own old post to update:

1. I actually did get the Nautilus to work next to the RFing Decathlon by moving it to the passenger side and installing it as close to the door as possible.

2. I also was able to work a Safeseat 1 into any combination I tried in the Intrepid although I had to be extra sure it was clicked into the base securely as it bumped into the RFing Decathlon on the way into its base. I was also able to use a Vivo, a Turbobooster, or a Parkway. All were annoying to buckle, but the Vivo was the worst and the Parkway the best.

3. Three across in the Cavalier:
SS1, FFing Radian, Parkway (hits ceiling at a max height slightly less than the max height of the TB)
Nautilus, RFing Radian, Parkway - this requires the front seats to be pushed significantly forward, but they're still usable. I was shocked this combination worked.
RFing Avenue, FFing Radian, Parkway - our current combination, it works well.

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
2010 Toyota Prius

(Checked by me, I'm a tech)

FF Radian w/seat belt
FF Radian w/seat belt (buckle stalk twisted 2 times)
RF Chicco KeyFit 30 with base w/ seat belt

(Ignore the tether, this wasn't a permanent install.)

CIMG7712.jpg

CIMG7716.jpg

amylynne01

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

behind passenger - SS1 RFing using LATCH
middle - Radian 65 FFing using seat belt
behind driver - EFTA RFing or FFing using LATCH

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
07 Lexus GX 470
Seats passenger side to driver's side: Britax Boulevard, RFing; Peg Perego 30/30 SIP; Peg Perego 30/30 SIP. All seatbelt installs, Boulevard with the lockoff, Pegs with locking clips. Supremely difficult but worked. Pegs juuust had room to click into their bases, all were independently tight.

I am a tech. It was very difficult but we did it (and dad was last person to install the seats.)

oxeye

Another 3 across in my sister's 2005 Prius. I'm a tech.

Passenger-side: RF Radian (seatbelt install, locked at the retractor)
Center: RF Coccoro (seatbelt installed w/ blue locking clip)
Driver-side: RF Radian (seatbelt install, locked at the retractor)

IMG_6398.jpg

I installed the CCO first then put the Radians on each side.

G

guineverelady

I researched this site and this forum specifically a lot before finally purchasing 2 new carseats to fit in our Scion Xb '06. I am so happy to share that we did it! We have 3 across:

Cosco Highback Booster
Combi Coccoro
Sunshine Radian65

They all fit perfectly! I hope this will help others with their beloved Scions to be able to have 3 across. I'm also fairly certain 2 Radians would fit nicely on either side of the Coccoro seat as well. We just hoped to only have to buy 2 instead of 3 new car seats at this time.

Kat_Shoshin

About 6 months ago there was a call in show on CBC radio where I live, with a "car expert" answering questions. One question was "What kind of compact car will fit 3 carseats across safely?" He told her to buy a van. :confused:

I would have called in, but I was putting the baby to sleep at the time. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I have a Kia Rio 2006, I have a home daycare and have had a lot of different configurations over the years. Currently I have:

behind passenger - FF Evenflo Chase using seat belt
middle -Graco Turbo booster (and yes I practically break my wrist bucking it!)
behind driver - RF Truefit with headrest

My best tips are to:
- start at one end of the car and work your way over.
- Use the seatbelts to give you more leeway.
- figure out which seats "puzzle well". For example, the evenflo chase and the cosco scenera fit really well together. I try to put them side by side when I need to use them.

I will post photos when I take them! :D

jessclear

MissKatie and I installed 3-across in my 2004 Toyota Corolla today. We are both Techs. All seat belt installs.

Drivers side - Graco Nautilus
Center - RF Radian XT
Pass side - Coccoro

emtb79

2007 Honda Odessey and I got...

Graco Cargo/Britax MA/Graco Cargo

All seat belt installs and all separately tight.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
2003 Toyota Corolla
Driver's side to passenger side:

RF CA with seatbelt, RF Radian with seatbelt, Graco Highback TurboBooster
or
Graco HB TB, RF RN with seatbelt, RF RN with seatbelt.

The Turbo is difficult to buckle in either scenario (less so when the Turbo is on the driver's side with the 2 Radians) but it is completely on the vehicle seat as required.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC