Who sits where when car pooling?

U

Unregistered

Hi,
I have found this page very helpful, I use it a lot. Thanks to you guys!
I car pool regulary. Sometimes, maybe couple of times a month, I have more kids than backseats. My car has a so called advanced airbag that shuts itself off if the passenger is less than 65 lbs.
Now my question is, who should use the front seat? The biggest kid is 7 and something between 65 and 70 lbs. So he'll turn the airbag on. He sits in a beltpositioning booster.
The smallest is 2 and under 30 lbs and of course uses a 5 point harness (ff). 4 kids are between 40 and 45 lbs and use beltpositioning boosters. I have tried to put the harnessed seat in the front but I don't get a good fit - the seat moves too much in any direction.
Thanks for your time
Susann

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
My research seems to indicate that the most critical factor in protecting children from an airbag is ensuring that they are properly restrained and that they remain properly restrained for the entire trip.

Generally, a child in a 5 point harness is going to be the "safest" in that position, as he/she cannot lean too close to the airbag. However, if the 5 point seat cannot be properly installed in that position, it cannot be used there. You will need to determine which child is most likely to stay seated properly for the entire trip and put that child there.

See:
http://www.iihs.org/safety_facts/airbags/airbag_switch.htm
http://www.iihs.org/safety_facts/qanda/airbags.htm#10

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I agree with Ulrike-

This decision really has to be taken in a case by case basis, preferably in person with a technician.

In general, we would first probably try to seat the oldest child that is in a front-facing carseat with a 5-point harness in front. Deactivate the airbag if possible, and move the seat all the way back on its track.

U

Unregistered

Yes, I was hoping for the 5-point restraint (RA) to fit the front seat....
Anyway, from your answers I understood that any of the 40 to 45 pounders are the ones to be placed in the front since the 7-yr-old turns the airbag on because of his weight (over 65 lbs).
BTW, the rule in my car is that kids wear their seat belts properly or they wear a 5-point harness. Every time I have a new kid in my car, I ask him if he knows the difference between a toddler and a kid. The difference is that a kid knows how to wear a seat belt and a toddler wears a 5-point harness. So far that has worked with every single kid. :)
Susann

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC