SafeStop in shared Radian-different weight kids

JamRowZ

My kids will both be using the same Radian 80. My younger child is 3 years old, 36 lbs and 41 inches. My older child is 7 years old, 63 lbs and 49 inches. This seat will also get occasional use by an 8 year old, 40 lb, 50 inch carpool child.

When both my kids are in the car, the older will be in a low-back booster but when only the older child is in the car, we would like him to use the Radian 80. My inclination is to not install with the SafeStop since it's clearly not safe to use with a 63 lb kid and the 36 lb child is near the weight limit for SafeStop. I wanted to double check that instinct with car seat techs.

We will install it with the straps in the top slots since the taller children need the top slots. The younger child is almost even with the second to top slot now. Thanks for either confirming my instinct or suggesting alternatives.

FWIW, the long-term solution is to have the older child in a Britax Frontier but we won't be able to have that in place before Thanksgiving travel and we already have the low-back booster.

Thanks

ADS

jjordan

According to the manual, the SafeStop MUST be used for children under 40 pounds who are forward facing, unless the seat is installed with seat belt only (i.e. seat belt and no top tether). If you choose to use the Radian without SafeStop for your 3 year old, then you'll need to install the seat with a seat belt only, no top tether. Personally, I would plan on not using the Radian at all for the 7 year old (or the 8 year old), just for the 3 year old. I would use boosters (exclusively) for the 7 and 8 year olds; unless they have special needs that require harnessing, there is no proven benefit to harnessing over boostering for them.

JamRowZ

Can you share evidence that there is no benefit to bolstering for the 7 year old?

I need to put the 8 year old in the carseat or put an 11 year old in the front seat for carpool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjordan

Can you share evidence that there is no benefit to bolstering for the 7 year old?

I need to put the 8 year old in the carseat or put an 11 year old in the front seat for carpool.

No, there is no evidence that harnessing is safer for a 7 year old, and there is no evidence that boostering is safer for a 7 year old. :) It's one of those things! It is possible that in some situations, a harness might be safer, but in other situations, a booster might be safer. Both are considered safe (when used properly for a child who is old enough).

If the 8 year old fits in the Radian, it is fine to use it for him (with the SafeStop). But when he is over 40 pounds and should *not* be using the SafeStop, then (unless the 3 year old is also over 40 pounds at that point) I would remove the Radian and have the 8 year old use a booster over not following Diono's instructions regarding the SafeStop. That is just what *I* would do, you of course can make your own decision! How often do you have the 8 year old and the 11 year old?

Dillipop

My 11 year old rides in the front seat with a booster from time to time. I have an 8 seater van but sometimes I have 7 kids in it. Or when I have our 6 seater and have 5 kids. It's not ideal but with the booster, the bet fits correctly, and I have the seat pushed all the way back to give him more space from the airbag, in case it goes off. He is still too light for the airbag light to turn on, so it shouldn't go off unless it malfunctions.

JamRowZ

I will have the 7, 8, and 11 year old every time I drive carpool going forward. Most likely twice a week. The center position is a lap only belt so the other option that is really unpalatable is to put the 11 year old in a lap belt in the center with no headrest, uninstall the Radian twice a week and put the 7 and 8 year olds in low back boosters. I guess I would have the Radian loose in my trunk for later when I pick up the 3 year old after dropping off the older kids. I'm not sure I could consistently reinstall the Radian correctly for the 3 year old. The 7 and 8 year olds fit fine in the Radian and have at least another inch before their ears are above the top of the seat.

jjordan

Okay, didn't realize you had a lap belt in the center. The only safe choice there is a harnessed seat. So in that case, I would put the Safe Stop on (assuming you are top tethering the seat) and use it for the 8 year old when necessary. Are the 8 year old's shoulders above the top harness slot? The other option is putting the 7 and 8 year olds in the back with boosters and the 11 year old in the front seat, with the front seat pushed all the way back. That is what I would do when the 8 year old passes 40 pounds and can no longer use the SafeStop.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC