Air Travel - Which is Better?

AllieK

I really don't want to buy a new seat for my 2.5yr old (41lbs, 42") so we are going to have to make it work with what we have available to us.

Which seat would you rather use for air travel, lugging through the airport and installing in a rental minivan:

1) Britax Frontier 90
2) Graco Nautilus
3) Graco My Size 70
4) Evenflo Maestro

ADS

1mommy

I'd say go for the Maestro as long as you are comfortable installing it. Its the lightest and easiest to carry trhough the airport.

AllieK

Yes, I was leaning towards the Maestro too.

We have never used it before (our nephew just grew out of it so it would be loaned to us) but there's plenty of time for DH to read the manual and play with it before the trip.

Brianna

When my godson was about that size he was pretty much at the max for harness height in a Maestro. If your son has a long torso he might be right at or above the limit too. You should probably see how he fits in it when installed in a car.

AllieK

When my godson was about that size he was pretty much at the max for harness height in a Maestro. If your son has a long torso he might be right at or above the limit too. You should probably see how he fits in it when installed in a car.

Yikes! Yes, he is all torso and very little legs. He is 42" currently and we aren't travelling until March so that's something to think about as well... :confused:

AllieK

Thanks for the link, my son's stats are almost identical although I believe his seated shoulder height is 17".

It sounds like the Maestro probably won't work. Now I am coming back to the Frontier. I know he will fit well harnessed in that seat for a while. I like the ease of using the click tight when we arrive at our destination and get the rental but I am hesitant to use it on the plane because of its width (and I am not comfortable checking it).

Another thought I have is using a CARES harness on the plane (we can rent one for our trip for about $15) but I haven't figured out what to do about a car seat once we arrive. :(

1mommy

You might have to put the arm rest up regardless of which seat you choose because none of those are narrow seats. You might want to look up the seat width online on seatguru.com and decide if any of the seats can fit with the arm down, if not then go for the Frontier. If you really don't want to lug a car seat around and are willing to spend some money -go for the cares harness, and look into the ride safer travel vest- i'm sorry but I don't know if that even appropriate for someone of that age (I'm not a tech), so search previous threads about it.

AllieK

The Ride Safer Travel Vest makes me nervous since there is no side impact protection, plus it retails for $160 so it would be quite an investment for 1 trip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC